I couldn't buy it....Wait I bought it!

clayfx2

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Also check your credit cards, I know WellsFargo offers cell phone insurance if you pay your bill with your credit card. Its how I got a new 1020 to replace my 920.

texantony

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I noticed the same thing when I went to the AT&T store. The security cable the store attaches to the back of the phone was the cause of the scratches. Really looked bad and I usually don't buy a case for my Lumia phones, but I went ahead and got the Speck case.

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I didn't sign a new contract. I bought mine outright. Still got all the stuff. The guys even double-checked for me to make sure, and the promotion just says "with the purchase of a new phone".

Is this from AT&T? Do they have a promotion for free camera grip? If so, do you mind pointing where is written this offer? I know Microsoft do offer free camera grip, but I'm not sure about AT&T

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: I couldn't buy it

If you're worried about scratches, it's too bad you didn't buy it from a Microsoft Store. They offer a two yr warranty for $99, upfront no monthly fees. They'll replace the phone for free if there's a MFR problem/defect or if you caused the problem there's a $49 deductible - not bad for a $700 phone ;) you can get it replaced once every 12 months. I wasn't going to get it but then I thought about how cheap that was...plus I've got two kids lol

Is there a $49 deductible for lost/stole phones too? Oh yeah, thank you for sharing this.

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I noticed the same thing when I went to the AT&T store. The security cable the store attaches to the back of the phone was the cause of the scratches. Really looked bad and I usually don't buy a case for my Lumia phones, but I went ahead and got the Speck case.

The painted bezel frightens me. My iPhone 5 scratched along its bezel easily and I couldn't take it.

texantony

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
The painted bezel frightens me. My iPhone 5 scratched along its bezel easily and I couldn't take it.

Before the 1020 I had the Cyan 920. No case since the day I purchased it. 8-9 months later, about 3 big drops, and a few minor drops...and the phone shows minor scratches. Two corners from the big drops have a dent but that's it. No broken glass and the phone runs great. Since the 1020 is a little more expensive I thought I'd go ahead and put a case over it. Tight fit, which I like, but a little tough to remove so I can switch to camera grip. Probably just use the grip for trips only

Last edited:

Desmoface

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
This is an intriguing phone. I wonder if ATT offers the free camera grip? I don't see it advertised anywhere. I guess I could stop up to the MS Store. I wonder if MS can take care of the update as I currently don't have a smart phone but I'm with att.

I was considering the samsun galaxy s4, but I'm reading about various issues with this phone, primarily it's wifi connection issues. Has anyone had these issues with the 1020? This would be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks for all the posts and great info.

Steve

Last edited:

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
2+ weeks later and I'm still in love. Even more so now. Taking pictures of the kids and my life has taken front stage. Having a smart phone on my amazing camera is just a bonus. I actually walk around trying to find stuff to take pictures of.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I walked into at&t money in hand and asked for a black 1020. While I was waiting for the saleswoman to bring it out I got cold feet. I noticed the demo models had scratched on the camera bezel and screen. It scared the hell out of me and I walked out. Kind of sad cause I was ready to switch from my 925 to the 1020.

Few weeks back I was at a mall where they kept laptops as demo units, about 30+ of them?, I could see 3 of them with 1-2 keys on the keyboard missing.
Demo units are subject to customer abuse at all points of time.

bcolton

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I walked into at&t money in hand and asked for a black 1020. While I was waiting for the saleswoman to bring it out I got cold feet. I noticed the demo models had scratched on the camera bezel and screen. It scared the hell out of me and I walked out. Kind of sad cause I was ready to switch from my 925 to the 1020.

I noticed that the Lumia 1020s were scratched to hell, but get this it's on purpose at some AT&T stores. No joking around, I asked the AT&T lady what was up with the phones and she said that they intentionally scratch the back so that the security stickers hold better. Also, they put a huge circular scratch on the front (upper left) to mitigate theft (who wants to steal a scratched phone) and to tell a phone was stolen if anyone decided to bring it back for whatever reason.

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
A new positive and a gripe. I love that all messages come into the message tile. Even twitter and Facebook. Negative, I wish microsoft had a iTune like app for video. Its too complicated getting video on to the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett