So I've been waiting to see if anybody posted anything about getting their phone unlocked, and... nothing. Has anyone who purchased the phone full price tried unlocking it yet? I know some people are waiting on some unlocked AT&T devices from Negri, but I wanna know if I can go pick one of these up full price then have AT&T unlock it for me. If anyone can chime in on this that would be cool.
    07-27-2013 05:49 PM
    Hi PLGomez,

The 1020 is really new, and a lot of people who ordered it still haven't even received it yet.

It will probably take a little while until you'll be able to find out if anyone got the 1020 unlocked by AT&T.
    07-27-2013 11:55 PM
    AT&T on both the chat and phone support refuse to unlock the device. What they're claiming is that:

1. The device is ineligible for unlock (same at the website says when you put in the 1020 IMEI).
    2. That Nokia hasn't provided AT&T with the unlock codes and to contact Nokia
    -(Nokia has a no unlock policy and has officially stated that AT&T has the codes).
    3. Their (AT&T's) system doesn't allow them to generate an unlock code due to the device being an exclusive.

So sadly they've made sure to lock these puppies down and make sure that their agents won't provide an unlock code on accident. I'm attempting to use an unlock service now which claims to be able to generate unlock codes for the 1020 and will keep everybody posted.

I was at the Scottsdale Microsoft Store for my 1020 purchase as well and can confirm that they sell the AT&T (locked) version and at present don't have any means of unlocking the device.
    Last edited by sleepyrockcom; 07-28-2013 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Grammar
    Laura Knotek and John20212 like this.
    07-28-2013 01:45 AM
    Yeah I was told at the Scottsdale Microsoft store that ATT would unlock it since I bought it outright. Here is to waiting lol
    07-28-2013 07:08 AM
    So it appears AT&T was lying when there was a lot of "hullabaloo" regarding phone unlocking. In this blog post from March they claimed that they unlocked phones if the customer had paid for them. This was in response to all the talk about legislation to mandate that phones be unlocked. Not a word about "exclusive" phones.
    07-28-2013 10:05 AM
    My hope is that the third party solution contacts me today with an unlock code (they specified a 24 hour turnaround).

I would hate to return the device because I love the look, feel, and functionality of the device. But my work uses Verizon and I'm going to the UK so my options are limited. As a minor detail, the phone will still let you access the rest of the non-network features without a sim card inserted.
    07-28-2013 11:51 AM
    I think most of us should wait until an international version of the phone is available for import.
    07-28-2013 01:55 PM
    Small world because I purchased mine at the Scottsdale MS Store as well. One more post and we will have to form a meet up.
    07-28-2013 02:05 PM
    That is pretty crazy; I'm happy to know that so many of my WP brethren are in the valley!

I'm waiting another couple of hours to hear back from the unlock service and if not I'll be returning the device today. I figure that I'll get a decked out tablet with 4G while there as a temporary alternative (the student 10% + free office isn't bad) until an international version.

What I would realistically like to see is a pentaband international version but I don't think we're going to be quite so lucky. I'm just wondering what Nokia was thinking signing this device as an exclusive; this isn't 2007 nor the original iPhone. You would think when you're paying $699.99 + tax that you could at least use the darn thing
    07-28-2013 03:27 PM
    Unlocked and ready to rock.
    08-05-2013 02:15 AM
    where u unlock it?
    09-06-2013 11:15 AM
    I got mine unlocked through At&t customer service. I believe it all depends on who you talk to at At&t...the first time I called the rep told me I could do it myself online and gave me the website, but when I tried it, it said the phone is not elgible to be unlocked. I called back and got a different service rep, told him that I planning on going to Europe and needed it unlock so I could use a local sim card...Took about 5 minutes and he gave me the unlock code! So I would advise calling instead of using the chat service.
    09-06-2013 03:26 PM
    Could you share the website which we could do the unlocking ourself? Thanks in advance.
    I got mine unlocked through At&t customer service. I believe it all depends on who you talk to at At&t...the first time I called the rep told me I could do it myself online and gave me the website, but when I tried it, it said the phone is not elgible to be unlocked. I called back and got a different service rep, told him that I planning on going to Europe and needed it unlock so I could use a local sim card...Took about 5 minutes and he gave me the unlock code! So I would advise calling instead of using the chat service.
    09-07-2013 04:49 AM
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...rience%5D.html

Check over here tons of stories on how people got their codes just from calling ATT . I can vouch calling ATT works as I myself gave them a call and got my code just from giving them a ring, note i live outside US . ( and did i mention its absolutely free? besides paying for your phone bill)
    09-07-2013 09:04 AM
    That is pretty crazy; I'm happy to know that so many of my WP brethren are in the valley!

I'm waiting another couple of hours to hear back from the unlock service and if not I'll be returning the device today. I figure that I'll get a decked out tablet with 4G while there as a temporary alternative (the student 10% + free office isn't bad) until an international version.

What I would realistically like to see is a pentaband international version but I don't think we're going to be quite so lucky. I'm just wondering what Nokia was thinking signing this device as an exclusive; this isn't 2007 nor the original iPhone. You would think when you're paying $699.99 + tax that you could at least use the darn thing
    Did you ever find out, I assume you returned the device.
    09-07-2013 09:49 AM
    Hi!, your Nokia lumia is with contract?

09-07-2013 10:35 AM
    I called at&t and succeeded to unlock my lumia 1020, i bought my phone from Microsoft store (full price)..
    09-07-2013 03:13 PM
    I see 1020 unlock codes on ebay for $2.94.
    I bought my phone from Amazon.com.
    But I did not have to unlock it, it worked with my Consumer Cellular SIM card.
    09-08-2013 02:36 AM
    Hi!, your Nokia lumia is with contract?
    Yes it is with contract.
    09-09-2013 09:19 AM
    Could you share the website which we could do the unlocking ourself? Thanks in advance.
    The website did not work, that's why I had to call At&t support a second time. The website said phone could not be unlocked.
    09-09-2013 09:21 AM