Saving after Reframe

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I missed it in the tutorial, but if I take the original picture, then go back in it to zoom and save the zoomed in portion, it deletes the original picture? Or I it now saved discreetly as the 38MP picture?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
It will never save over your 38Mp file. It will save a 5mp oversampled image, but it will only maintain one of these 5mp files as far as I can tell.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
It will never save over your 38Mp file. It will save a 5mp oversampled image, but it will only maintain one of these 5mp files as far as I can tell.

No but its not saving the original in either 5MP or 38MP. Example: I took a picture of somebody. Next, went back to the original picture and zoomed in and reframed. Okay, now I have the zoomed in picture saved, what happened to the original zoomed out picture?

B1zzle

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
No but its not saving the original in either 5MP or 38MP. Example: I took a picture of somebody. Next, went back to the original picture and zoomed in and reframed. Okay, now I have the zoomed in picture saved, what happened to the original zoomed out picture?

it is still there

go back, open the new reframed in nokia pro camera app

hit the re-frame button again

you can zoom back out and do whatever you like. however the previous reframe will not be saved unless you uploaded to ur locker or skydrive.

wrxdrunkie

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone noticed the file size of the reframed image after connecting it to a pc? Mine is like 150KB which seems really small. The reframed is like 150KB and the original 34Mp file is like 9.5MB. If I don't reframe the file it is around 1.5MB.

B1zzle

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I have not noticed that
BUT
I have noticed that only the high res get sent to the locker--I thought i was trying to upload a reframe but it never showed up because i already uploaded the high res....................

Kudos0030

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm really disappointed that I can't save the zoomed in 5 mp photos to the phone camera roll. Why do we have to use skydrive? That's stupid. They should have the camera roll be all the 5mp pictures and then have a separate one just for the 38mp pictures. I only want to use the 38mp photos to zoom and crop to make good 5mp photos and then I would delete the 38mp photo to save memory. Instead it's just the opposite. I'm stuck with the 38mp photos on my phone and all of the more reasonable sized 5mp photos get loaded off to the cloud. :p There's an option under the camera roll menu to turn off skydrive uploads, but all that does is prevent you from being able to save the 5mp version at all. I made a bunch of new recropped photos out of a full 38mp photo and hit save, but they don't save anywhere. The only thing that changes is the view of the 38mp photo in the camera roll. So that changes but its not permanent and you can't have any more copies of it zoomed in or out.

B1zzle

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm really disappointed that I can't save the zoomed in 5 mp photos to the phone camera roll. Why do we have to use skydrive? That's stupid. They should have the camera roll be all the 5mp pictures and then have a separate one just for the 38mp pictures. I only want to use the 38mp photos to zoom and crop to make good 5mp photos and then I would delete the 38mp photo to save memory. Instead it's just the opposite. I'm stuck with the 38mp photos on my phone and all of the more reasonable sized 5mp photos get loaded off to the cloud. :p There's an option under the camera roll menu to turn off skydrive uploads, but all that does is prevent you from being able to save the 5mp version at all. I made a bunch of new recropped photos out of a full 38mp photo and hit save, but they don't save anywhere. The only thing that changes is the view of the 38mp photo in the camera roll. So that changes but its not permanent and you can't have any more copies of it zoomed in or out.

you COULD open up a reframed one in the creative studio, pick the original filter, make no changes, then save it---and voila, it will be saved in the "saved photos" album
though i DO NOT know how the studio app will convert it when you save it, size quality wise................

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I was confused about the reframing as well at first. So tested it out. This is what I found:

You take a picture 5mp+34mp;
When you view the 34mp picture and reframe a section, that reframe pic overwrites the original 5mp pic;
Then if you do a second reframe that overwrites the first reframe;

So you can only have one full res pic + one 5mp or reframe pic;

This is kind of stupid and I hope Nokia fixes this.
I want to be able to keep the original 5mp pic and be able to do multiple reframes and save them to the camera roll while still preserving the original 5mp + 34mp pics.
I just don't get the thinking behind overwriting the 5mp image and not being able to save multiple reframes on the phone.
Not everyone wants to reframe the pic just for upload!

Kudos0030

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm back, so it turns I was sort of wrong, but I'm still not pleased with the save options. You guys are right the camera roll is made up only of the 5mp photos, however it's like John20212 said, it will only save ONE 5mp version to the camera roll. The other cropped versions of the photo can only be saved to skydrive, which is just silly. I hope they fix this too.

B1zzle, I don't think you can open the full 38mp version in creative studio, just the one 5mp version. There is no access to the saved crops other than the 1 main 5mp picture you can manipulate.

I think that Nokia's advertisement was a bit deceiving. They made it seem like you could just crop the big 38mp picture and save as many versions of it as you'd like. This is only true if you use skydrive unfortunately, which will either eat up your data plan or you need to be on a wifi connection. And those pictures are only viewable on a separate photo folder on the phone labled "skydrive". So you can't view them along side your normal pictures.

Why did Nokia make this so complicated?

dfaris

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm back, so it turns I was sort of wrong, but I'm still not pleased with the save options. You guys are right the camera roll is made up only of the 5mp photos, however it's like John20212 said, it will only save ONE 5mp version to the camera roll. The other cropped versions of the photo can only be saved to skydrive, which is just silly. I hope they fix this too.

B1zzle, I don't think you can open the full 38mp version in creative studio, just the one 5mp version. There is no access to the saved crops other than the 1 main 5mp picture you can manipulate.

I think that Nokia's advertisement was a bit deceiving. They made it seem like you could just crop the big 38mp picture and save as many versions of it as you'd like. This is only true if you use skydrive unfortunately, which will either eat up your data plan or you need to be on a wifi connection. And those pictures are only viewable on a separate photo folder on the phone labled "skydrive". So you can't view them along side your normal pictures.

Why did Nokia make this so complicated?

I guess you can take all the high res pictures you want then when you get home you can zoom in and crop all the high res pictures you took. Now you will have the high res
picture and the cropped picture on the phone. At this point just plug the phone into the computer and upload the cropped pictures. Now go back and re-crop the large pictures
again and upload again. I think this will work without using skydrive and allow you to re-crop as many times as you want. Kind of a work around until they come out with an update that lets us
crop as many times as we want.

Kudos0030

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
The problem with that method, aside from the extra steps and time it'll take to do all that, is that the crops will still be bigger than 5mp unless you're zooming in really far. The beauty of cropping right on the phone is that the 1020 uses it's software to do special pixel oversampling to make an even better looking 5mp images.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa