Worth switching from 920?

psurob55

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Is it worth switching from the 920 to the 1020? I can do so for upgrade cost, but I am wondering if it wouldn't be best to just wait.

Thoughts? Anyone else make the jump from 920-> 1020?

andybbtt111

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
So far I don't regret using my upgrade on this. The camera truly is as good as it sounds. Plus, the feel of the phone is better. It feels more premium and a little lighter.

I thought about waiting, too, but for now I'm glad I didn't.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded, and for me, there was no second guess it. I do a lot of photography (professionally and as a hobby), so the upgrade was a no brainer for me. The phone is noticeably lighter and thinner, too. If you're happy with the pictures you're getting from the 920 and don't want to upgrade because of size and weight, then I would say you're fine sticking with the L920.

psurob55

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I really would just need to add the wireless charging case, since I use that all the time on the 920. I like the fact that the 1020 has a wrist strap. I was leaning over a 4th floor balcony a few weeks ago and was pretty nervous about dropping it while trying to take a pic.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I moved from the 920 to the 1020. My opinion is, unless you use your camera for more than posting on FB, Instagram, and generally sharing pictures from phone to phone, then wait. Obviously, there's always better devices around the corner. But in this case, the upgrade is very slight, other than the camera. Most of the other stuff you'll get on your 920 anyway with the Amber update. Yes, I think the 1020 is nicer, but again the differences are incremental. What if you use your upgrade now, and in 3 months there's a Lumia 920 update that has a quad core processor, true HD screen, etc? The 920 is a fantastic device.

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
For me the camera WAS the upgrade. On the other hand, I'm finding the 1020 confusing to use and need to bone up on where, what, and how everything is and works. I'm still using my 920 because I can't find a case I like and the charging shell isn't shipping from amazon yet. The crappy cases available are super overpriced at this point and so are the screen protectors. Been on the fence about returning the 1020 until the accessories start coming around and prices come down, then re-buying. First world problems:-\

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
If you really need an improved camera, yes it's worth it. However, if you just take pictures casually, I would wait for Lumias with higher hardware specs. As much as I loved 1020 at the store, I'm not buying it because I'm waiting for next Nokia flagship (which should be here by the end of the year).

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I just don't get the "higher hardware specs" talk. I had an HTC one with 1080p screen and didn't see a difference against my 920 and now my 1020. Quad core seems silly in a phone that runs this smooth and fast too:-\ The next move I make away from the 1020 will be next-gen 41mp and water/dust proof and/or solar charging. Other possibilities would be graphene body or shatter proof screen and of course, HUGE battery in a slim body. Then, and only then, will they get another $700 out of me. In the meantime I'm going to enjoy the hell out of my new 1020;):p;P

mrdeeds_72

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Imo, only if you're a photo enthusiast. Otherwise, I am sure the price will drop before December so at this juncture, no. There might be cheaper and better alternatives that pop up in the meantime.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I agree with redeyss. The camera IS the upgrade. Its a hell of an upgrade at that. If you can do so at upgrade cost I would not hesitate. Unless you want to keep the 920 Nokia has a tradeup program. They will only give you $100 for the 920 but that takes your out of pocket cost down to $199. Not a bad deal at all considering what you would be getting.

Sharpmango

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm waiting for the L920 successor phone.. When that is out, i might consider moving. L1020 is amazing.. But Nokias 41mp technology is now here to stay.. There will be variants and successors, and they too will be spectacular...

psurob55

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
This is what I have decided. I am hoping they make the wrist strap standard on their future devices, because I think that would come in handy for sure.

I'm waiting for the L920 successor phone.. When that is out, i might consider moving. L1020 is amazing.. But Nokias 41mp technology is now here to stay.. There will be variants and successors, and they too will be spectacular...

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Eh, if your always waiting for the new tech it can be very irritating and there is no guarantee that there will be a camera this good in the 920 successor;) Just sayin'
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Eh, if your always waiting for the new tech it can be very irritating and there is no guarantee that there will be a camera this good in the 920 successor;) Just sayin'
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

I usually tell people the sooner you upgrade now the sooner you can upgrade to the next. Its especially true if you're in a multiple year contract.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
For me it isn't worth the upgrade. There is no promise of the next version of windows phone coming to Windows Phone 8. You have to remember that you will be tied down on contract for another 2 years. On the other hand, is the 1020 a nice upgrade, it is. Besides the camera, I don't think it is. I have wireless charging on my 920, and on the 1020 you have to buy an accessory that isn't even out yet. I use this all the time on my 920.

My only question is does the 1020 overheat like the 920 does when playing games?

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The next program is just a 0% financing on a new phone, I would rather just buy the phone brand new at full price then sell it when I want to upgrade again.

With the next program, you trade in your phone, and don't get a dime for it. It is such a bad deal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte