advice for new users of 1020

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to pass on some words of wisdom (caution?). The screen on your 1020 will suffer burn in if you are not incredibly careful. I've ended up with it on every windows phone with an amoled screen I've ever owned. Focus, Focus S, Lumia 900; each one ended up with burn in eventually. Yes, I keep my brightness set to medium or high always. Yes, I've had my screen timeout set to 1 minute, or ever 3 minutes with my original Focus. I'm not sure if it's accentuated by the larger and more bold visuals of WP7/8 or what, but it always ends up happening.

So, maybe it can be avoided if you set your brightness to low, and screen timeout to 30 seconds. Right now I'm at medium brightness and 30 seconds. That's what I did with my 900, and after about 3 months, sure enough I noticed it. I guess I like to live on the edge.

Also, I'm not talking about image retention. Image retention will go away. Burn in will not. This is burn in. If you play a video game that has a static heads up display for hours on your plasma TV, you may notice IR, but it will go away after a few hours of normal viewing. Nothing will make burn in go away.

Take these words for what they're worth. I'm not slamming the 1020 in any way. I love it. And I love amoled displays: the blacks blending into the bezel is visually stunning. It just has it's price.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I really haven't noticed screen burn in on my 900. I've had it since April 2012. I use medium brightness and 30 sec timeout.

koopiskeva

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I just replaced my 900 with a 1020, had the 900 since April 2012. I had the brightness setting to med auto and timeout after one minute. No burn in whatsoever.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Burn in is real. I had a slight bit of it on my Focus S. It was only really noticeable when I was scrolling dark text against a white background, and even then it was slight, so not really a problem. I suspect that it was caused by some long gaming sessions where parts of the screen were the same most of the time but I don't know for sure. I wouldn't worry about it too much, just try not to leave the screen showing the same stuff all the time.

GloriousGlory

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Well, now you've got me scared but at least I've been informed on the possibilities of screen burn in. Didn't even know it was still possible in this day and age.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's really anything to be scared about. It seems like most people will probably never see it all, let alone enough for it to be a problem. But it's good to know it exists and what behavior contributes to it.

By the way, even LCD displays can suffer from burn-in, although it's rare. I had a Dell LCD monitor I used for many years that had the Windows taskbar and parts of the application title bar at the top burned into it. It was 100x worse than the burn-in on my Focus S, and it was just used as a home computer monitor - not some 24/7 point of sale or signage display.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
My launch day 900 has been set to Auto brightness and 3 minute time out since it came out of the box. I use it a lot. Meaning at least a full charge every day. No burn in here. Not going to worry about it with my 1020. If there is a problem, it will be Nokia's, not mine.

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

anon(27512)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
My launch day 900 has been set to Auto brightness and 3 minute time out since it came out of the box. I use it a lot. Meaning at least a full charge every day. No burn in here. Not going to worry about it with my 1020. If there is a problem, it will be Nokia's, not mine.

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

RIGHT? lol if I had a device that had burn in that sh** would go back lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro