1020 amoled screen "artifacts"

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm seeing a vertical screen artifact when the screen is black, especially during glance mode. The artifact is blacker than the screen and is about 1/3" long and maybe 1/16" wide. It's got my ocd fired up! I've seen this before and much worse on my Samsung Focus S with amoled display. Anybody else seeing this?

gollum18

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
All amoleds do this.

That's strange, I've had my s3 for over a year now and I've noticed no burn in or any sign of the mura effect.

It actually depends on how you use your device. As each amoled is manufactured slightly differently, there are going to be differences in screen durability/clarity.

As long as you're not walking around with your screen on 24/7 or have it on full brightness constantly with static images (status bars are a big cause), you won't receive any of this.

But as I said before, you probably got a bad screen in the first place.

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
What I'm describing has nothing to do with how I use the device, its a manufacturing issue. My phone is less than a week old. Just trying to figure out how widespread and common it is amongst the 1020s out there. Wondering if a replacement is in order within my 14 day return window.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

snguyen10

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed this too, but it's normal. I remember seeing it on my Galaxy S3 and Note 2 when the screen is displaying black. I've also never had burn in on any phone with an AMOLED/SAMOLED display.

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
That's strange, I've had my s3 for over a year now and I've noticed no burn in or any sign of the mura effect.

It actually depends on how you use your device. As each amoled is manufactured slightly differently, there are going to be differences in screen durability/clarity.

As long as you're not walking around with your screen on 24/7 or have it on full brightness constantly with static images (status bars are a big cause), you won't receive any of this.

I had the S3, S4, Note 2 & Lumia 928 and they all displayed the black blotches when looking at a black background in a dark room. Try it out. My PS Vita also does it.

webdave

Apr 24, 2004
Visit site

Usage makes no difference. It sounds like you are talking about burn-in which is different. I can pick these artifacts up easily on AMOLED displays. They show up on brand new phones. Take your phone into a pitch black room like a closet and put a pure black image on the screen. Wait for your eyes to adjust and you'll be able to see the splotches.

All phones very in the size and amount of splotches. I have seen them on Galaxy S2 and S3s and Galaxy Note IIs. Samsung must have done something different with the S4 because I tested 2 phones and the display was pure black even in a dark room.

snguyen10

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't really effect usage, I'm only looking at a black screen when a video is buffering. I actually like amoled screens, to me the pros outweigh the cons. I rarely stare at black screens.

Santiago Padilla1

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Usage makes no difference. It sounds like you are talking about burn-in which is different. I can pick these artifacts up easily on AMOLED displays. They show up on brand new phones. Take your phone into a pitch black room like a closet and put a pure black image on the screen. Wait for your eyes to adjust and you'll be able to see the splotches.

All phones very in the size and amount of splotches. I have seen them on Galaxy S2 and S3s and Galaxy Note IIs. Samsung must have done something different with the S4 because I tested 2 phones and the display was pure black even in a dark room.

My galaxy s4 has a pure black screen. I see no splotches no streaks. It literally looks like the screen is off. Its amazing. They perfected the samoled screens in that respect. My nokia 1020 displays a lot of imperfections and cannot display true black. Solid phone but not so solid screen performance. It also flickers but not easy to see. Its a bit annoying.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Sounds to me like there may be some manufacturing variability. I've never noticed this on my 1020. I just took it into a closet, fired up Pro Cam which made for an almost entirely black screen, and stared at the screen for a minute or two. No sign of any splotches or streaks. I could see that the screen was just slightly lighter than the blackness of the bezel. In any other environment it looks as black as the bezel.

strikeIII

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I've got a fix...stop starring at a black screen in the dark...:grin: j/k...I noticed a small one on mine when I look at the glance screen but it doesn't bother me and I don't notice it effecting anything.

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I have this on my screen 1020. I didnt think much of it. I have a lot of splotches. There are two big ones though. One is about 1/4 wide and 1.5 inches long. The otehr is half the size. And some smaller spots all around. Not a big deal. Onyl notice when in dark room and black screen as mentioned. No worries on my end. The screen is stunning when you know, you are actually using it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss