heres how to get a Nokia Lumia1020 @ the upgrade price if your contract is not up yet?

cowboy6201

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
An AT&T store rep told me this trick
O
kay now have the sales rep swap your old number to the new phone He said they can do this, and put the new number on the old phone volia there you go! you got the new Nokia Lumia 1020:wink:
nokia_lumia_1020_color_range-100045701-large.jpg

for your new phone # let the old phone sit for 2 yrs once the contract is up on that line dump it.
it will only cost you $10 extra a month and you get the new Nokia Lumia 1020 for $299.99 instead of $659.99 - $699.99 not bad Huh!:cool:

tractionx

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Um, you get the 1020 for $299.99+$240 for the other line.

Do you're paying $550 for it. If you're a year into your old phone, the ETF would be about $240, also... so you could upgrade for the exact same price with no shenanigans.

camaroguy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Its actually 299 + $240 you are paying for the phone in this case. Its only $10 cheaper than doing an exception upgrade. Going the exception upgrade path, you wont have an extra line laying around that you have to remember to cancel either.

Lawrence Crecy

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Or complain to tech support that you don't receive picture SMS unless they send it twice, get really mad that they can't figure out the problem and demand to swap out your phone for a different one (say can I swap out for a GS4 or iPhone 5) they'll put a note on your account and you can walk into the ATT store and pick your new 1020 up.

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Actually, this is a very common thing.

Add a line to your account for $10 (as long as you are not on the newer Share plans). Choose whatever phone you want, the required features automatically get added to the line you added (hence, you qualify for the pricing of a new line). Swap the SIM cards with the line you want your shiny new phone on, and put a dumbphone on the new line (which means you don't need a data plan). You are of course stuck on a contract for 2 years on that new line, but you only pay $10 a month, so its kinda like a payment plan of sorts.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Don't you need data plan for a smartphone?

No you don't, if you don't use data. I have an ATT GoPhone sim on pay per use, no plan just 10c per min, on the website they have that its only for dumb phones, but I tryed the sim in my Samsung Focus (with sim adaptor its a micro sim) and also on my new 1020 and it works fine for call, texts, etc. I always left the data connection off in the settings while using this sim.

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
No you don't, if you don't use data. I have an ATT GoPhone sim on pay per use, no plan just 10c per min, on the website they have that its only for dumb phones, but I tryed the sim in my Samsung Focus (with sim adaptor its a micro sim) and also on my new 1020 and it works fine for call, texts, etc. I always left the data connection off in the settings while using this sim.

Data is definitely required for smartphones on a contract/postpaid account.

GoPhone is totally different. And typically it is also required for smartphones, but its not as heavily enforced or tracked.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Data is definitely required for smartphones on a contract/postpaid account.

GoPhone is totally different. And typically it is also required for smartphones, but its not as heavily enforced or tracked.

And that is the whole problem with carriers, not allowing people to use their phone how they want and forcing them to pay for unneccesary crap. If I just want to use voice and SMS on my smartphone, why the hell should I pay for data?

Yangstax

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
This is exactly what I have planned to do with my wife's L900 contract which will expire in 6/2014. But it didn't work out since the AT&T rep told me that I couldn't add a smartphone to the family phone plan without a data plan. The price of $299 has figured the data plan in. He did however reduce $50 off the L1020 phone price and took the old L900 back for $100. He will also give me a free wireless charging cover when it arrives. So I paid a total of $399 to get a L1020. But my wife also got an upgrade by using my L920. We are both happy with the transition. After two days of intense use of L1020, I think it all worths it. With a little bleeding, of course. :)

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
1. There is no way how you can buy a smartphone without adding data plan
2. Once you commit to a data plan (sign a contract for adding a line), you can increase the data limit, i.e. go to 3GB/month from 300MB/month, or decrease (3GB /month to 300MB/month), but definitely you can't remove the data plan once you jump into contract. To have AT&T remove your data plan, you HAVE to return the phone, or AT&T will charge you the retail price of the phone the day you've signed the contract.

Those are the rules, and you certainly could get lucky with some dumb representative, who may not keep his/hers job after such a thing

cowboy6201

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Actually, this is a very common thing.

Add a line to your account for $10 (as long as you are not on the newer Share plans). Choose whatever phone you want, the required features automatically get added to the line you added (hence, you qualify for the pricing of a new line). Swap the SIM cards with the line you want your shiny new phone on, and put a dumbphone on the new line (which means you don't need a data plan). You are of course stuck on a contract for 2 years on that new line, but you only pay $10 a month, so its kinda like a payment plan of sorts.
That's what I'm saying it's just like going to rent a center but without all the BS.
if someone wants the phone bad enough there you go.
Thanks for seeing my point I was trying to make.:smile:

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
That's what I'm saying it's just like going to rent a center but without all the BS.
if someone wants the phone bad enough there you go.
Thanks for seeing my point I was trying to make.:smile:
I'm in the same situation. Once you add the data plan, AT&T is not going to remove it, even if you put the sim card on a dumb phone. You HAVE to return the phone. I have to lines (wife and me) and after my wife passed away, a wanted to give her line to my mom, but take the data plan, since my mom can't handle a smart phone. I've tried several times to remove the data plan without success. I am using a dumb phone on that line, and that doesn't make any change. AT&T wants the phone back to remove the data plan.

rchillin

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly what I have planned to do with my wife's L900 contract which will expire in 6/2014. But it didn't work out since the AT&T rep told me that I couldn't add a smartphone to the family phone plan without a data plan. The price of $299 has figured the data plan in. He did however reduce $50 off the L1020 phone price and took the old L900 back for $100. He will also give me a free wireless charging cover when it arrives. So I paid a total of $399 to get a L1020. But my wife also got an upgrade by using my L920. We are both happy with the transition. After two days of intense use of L1020, I think it all worths it. With a little bleeding, of course. :)

Was this at the store or 611?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb