Lumia 1020 post picture fuzziness?

gallio

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

I notice when I take a picture with my Lumia 1020, that the image looks incredibly clear immediately after taking the picture, and for a couple of seconds after I view it in the Nokia Pro Cam app by viewing my last shot. After those couple of seconds the image appears to 'downgrade' as if being compressed. This results in a soft/fuzzy image that doesn't look nearly as good as when it was first taken.

Does anyone else experience this? Hopefully if it is due to compression, that Nokia will allow for RAW images free of the fuzziness of JPEG compression.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
If you're viewing the picture in the camera roll, you'll only be able to view the 5MP version. To view the full-res version, tap "Nokia Pro Cam" at the bottom of the image where it says "captured by Nokia Pro Cam" to open it in Pro Cam.

By the way, the compression ratios of the JPEGs created by the phone are roughly around 8:1 (full-res) or 6:1 (5MP). You won't be noticing artifacts due to JPEG compression at these ratios. For examples of how JPEG artifacts look at different compression ratios see JPEG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

gallio

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Ah I see. So it's possible the visual reduction in quality is the phone switching from displaying the 38mp version to the 5mp version. That makes sense.

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I did a little experiment.

Took the same picture twice and only previewed the 2nd within the pro cam app where I seen it go from sharp to soft in front of my eyes.

Then checked out the 1st picture from the camera roll (also from within the pro cam app), and brought it back into pro cam. It never softened it, it was just as I had taken it!

Compared both pictures and found the pic I previewed straight after taking it was still soft.

Tried this a few times, same result!

So if you preview it straight away from within the app, it softens it and there is no way back!!! Strange no?

EDIT: Ok, I've repeated the experiment and it would appear the opposite is true. While it does make it appear soft, once you go into the photo app, the one that 'went soft' upon preview is the sharper one!!!

And if you don't preview it after you snap it, it won't ever be as sharp as it could be! This is so crazy.

I remember a similar issue on my 920. It would look sharp but then soften and save the softened version. After the first major update, the opposite happened. It would appear soft upon taking it and then sharpen up. The saved pic would be the sharper preview.

But on the 1020, unless you preview it, when it appears to soften it, it won't save the sharper version.

I have confused everyone, lol?

Last edited:

Del Rei

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Anyone out there...?

So, I bought mine 1020 and I'm still having this problem.

The HD Photo Viewer... I installed, but didn't see the difference. I think it is no longer supported... I don't know.
Does any one knows how to view the high resolution pics...?

Thanks

Del Rei

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Hum... Ok.
Realized the problem is really the JPEG compression, not the full resolution Imagem.

After shooting, the image seems to be beautiful, and after processing, it loose the quality. I thought that the HD Photo Viewer could make me see this high quality image... But it only can make me zoom more the image. Sad. Now I understand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion