View Poll Results: Are you happy with your 1020?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

137 86.71%
  • No

7 4.43%
  • Mixed-Post why below

14 8.86%
07-03-2015 09:51 AM
141 1234 ...
tools
    Coming from an iPhone 5, and being with iOS since the start. I am VERY happy with the switch. I installed iOS 7 on my i5, but I wasn't impressed. It was moreso the same OS just reskinned. I love WP8, and I love where the platform is going. I'm very happy with Nokia and the support that they offer for their devices.

The camera alone is just amazing.
    hcrick likes this.
    08-01-2013 11:18 AM
    As far as I can tell there is no way to app switch without having to go back to the home screen or the app list and go back in to a previously opened app (maybe somebody can show me a faster way).
    Press and hold the back button. Any open apps that you didn't back out of will show up.
    21stNow likes this.
    08-01-2013 11:22 AM
    Press and hold the back button. Any open apps that you didn't back out of will show up.
    Thank you!!

Someone please tell me there is a way to view Flash content on this thing... Smh.
    08-01-2013 12:02 PM
    First time poster, hello everyone!

The battery life isn't all that I was told it was going to be cracked up to be, I started this morning @ 5am with 100% battery life and I was down to 10% by 9am. Currently I am having a charging issue... I have it plugged in, it says the phone is charging, but is telling me it's going to take 1day 11hours to finish charging, and my battery percentage is still dropping. I've tried plugging it in to 2 outlets and 2 computers and it's telling me the same thing. Not sure what the heck the problem is but I need to get that sorted. .
    Mine has been iffy, but it looks like a soft reset is fixing this battery issue do to some process
    see this thread http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...tery-life.html

I havent tried it yet, but I am going to.
    anon395528 likes this.
    08-01-2013 12:07 PM
    Mine has been iffy, but it looks like a soft reset is fixing this battery issue do to some process
    see this thread http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...tery-life.html

I havent tried it yet, but I am going to.
    Thanks, giving this a shot!
    08-01-2013 12:52 PM
    Someone please tell me there is a way to view Flash content on this thing... Smh.
    Unfortunately, Adobe killed off mobile Flash a couple of years ago, even on Android. I think Android has some unofficial work arounds, but they haven't had official support since Android 4.0 released.
    anon395528 likes this.
    08-01-2013 12:56 PM
    I am much more impressed with this device than I thought I would be. I ordered it with the following reservations, thinking I would end up using it as a secondary device

1. The camera would not live up to the hype (it did)
    2. I would miss the 1080p screens from my android devices (I don't. At least not as much as I thought I would)
    3. Missing functionality and apps that my Android devices have would cause me to put it down (not the case)

I have been using it as my primary phone for a week now and I don't see myself putting it down any time soon. I do miss some things about android and the hardware on my HTC One, GS4, and Optimus G Pro, but I am also finding Windows Phone to be a breath of fresh air (again) and thoroughly enjoy some of the apps/features it has, specifically the little Nokia add-ons (Nokia's update to Glam Me is pretty epic).

I have been taking pictures like mad and comparing them with my other phones. Literally my only complaint about this device is the low earpiece volume during calls, but I rarely make calls, so I can live with that.
    aggie, cckgz4, Etios and 1 others like this.
    08-01-2013 01:24 PM
    First time poster, hello everyone!

I just picked up a 1020 yesterday from my local AT&T store and am in the process of getting used to it. I come from a long history of iPhone fanboyism (as in I've had every iPhone on launch day until this point). I am really trying my hardest to love this phone but I am thinking it will be back to iPhone for me.

There are some things that I just can't overlook such as the very shoddy copy and paste which only works in certain places and is somewhat awkward to use. The built-in email client is pretty much garbage. As far as I can tell there is no way to app switch without having to go back to the home screen or the app list and go back in to a previously opened app (maybe somebody can show me a faster way). App support is obviously lackluster at best but I can get over that. Most of the apps I have downloaded feel like they are half-assed or incomplete. I felt like my iPhone apps were far more robust. The battery life isn't all that I was told it was going to be cracked up to be, I started this morning @ 5am with 100% battery life and I was down to 10% by 9am. Currently I am having a charging issue... I have it plugged in, it says the phone is charging, but is telling me it's going to take 1day 11hours to finish charging, and my battery percentage is still dropping. I've tried plugging it in to 2 outlets and 2 computers and it's telling me the same thing. Not sure what the heck the problem is but I need to get that sorted. Another disapointment is that it won't even charge in my car off of my JBC head unit with a USB connection, much less play any of my music. I can't figure out a way to get images uploaded to the internet on free image hosts, neither IE nor UC Browser let you "browse" for files and upload them from the device as I could do with my iPhone. I have been trying to post pictures to a few forums for hours this morning trying every way I could think but I don't see how it can be done.

It's looking more and more like I will be using my 15 day grace period and returning this phone to go back to my iPhone for the time being.

The camera on this device is what attacted me to it, and it's nothing short of brilliant for a phone camera. It certainly doesnt dissapoint in that arena but I have been thoroughly unimpressed by WP8.
    Not sure what you find wrong with copy and paste and the email client. The email client on WP8 is actually my favorite mobile client.
    Bob Isaacs likes this.
    08-01-2013 02:27 PM
    Don't forget he's used iPhones forever. It really is quite a bit different getting used to the mail client and copy/paste feature on the Windows Phone platform. It does take a while but once you do it's a snap.
    08-01-2013 04:34 PM
    I've always liked the email client a lot, but I agree about copy/paste... it is shoddy. Text selection is often way more difficult than it should be, especially when trying to make a selection that begins on the right side of the screen and ends on the left side of the next line down. Absolutely maddening.
    08-01-2013 05:04 PM
    Don't forget he's used iPhones forever. It really is quite a bit different getting used to the mail client and copy/paste feature on the Windows Phone platform. It does take a while but once you do it's a snap.
    fair enough reason. I use all 3 mobile OS's and I find them fairly similar in these regards. The poster that started this discussion had some other odd problems too.
    08-01-2013 05:35 PM
    Not sure what you find wrong with copy and paste and the email client. The email client on WP8 is actually my favorite mobile client.
    The biggest problem with the email client is that it doesn't let you search older messages than your default amount of loaded messages in the client unless its your hotmail account. I use Gmail. I frequently search for old messages and I can not seem to do this on the wp8 mail client. Maddening!

I am overcoming some of my other gripes.

Someone please please let me know if you find a way to upload a picture from the phone to any online host to be able to copy and paste an image link or bbcode to a forum. I am a forum ***** and spend pretty much all day on car forums where I typically post a lot of pix of my car. I can't seen to do this any more. Also maddening.

Haven't tried yet, but is it possible to save images from the browser??
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Board Express
    08-01-2013 08:36 PM
    Love the phone. I have always loved windows phone also. Only thing that will make this complete is if they release a youtube app. Kind of like the one they bad and then pulled. I know MS and google are working on a new one. Also, a few of my favorite apps are now on WP. Nothing terrible. I can wait if they bring them eventually but the youtube thing needs to get released right away.
    08-01-2013 09:17 PM
    I enjoy using the phone a lot. Also now it is actually a more fun to use the phone to take pictures since it has so many things to play with instead of usual point and shoot with other phones.
    08-01-2013 09:29 PM
    I can't help you with the forums posts. It's pretty much up to the forum to make a client that will allow this. For images, though, I can tell you that if you long press the image, a little menu comes up with save or share. The save will pull it down to your phone, the share will allow you to share it with one of your connected accounts (Twitter, Facebook, text, emails, etc).
    08-01-2013 09:46 PM
    I went to the AT&T store yesterday with no intention of buying it. I just wanted to look at it. Well I ended up walking out with one. I am super happy with it. Took everything I loved about my 920 and made it better. The camera is AMAZING. I can't wait to really work it out this weekend at the RC Field.

Note, I now have a red 920 for sale LOL
    08-01-2013 10:14 PM
    Only App I desperately need is HBO Go.
    08-01-2013 10:15 PM
    The biggest problem with the email client is that it doesn't let you search older messages than your default amount of loaded messages in the client unless its your hotmail account. I use Gmail. I frequently search for old messages and I can not seem to do this on the wp8 mail client. Maddening!

I am overcoming some of my other gripes.

Someone please please let me know if you find a way to upload a picture from the phone to any online host to be able to copy and paste an image link or bbcode to a forum. I am a forum ***** and spend pretty much all day on car forums where I typically post a lot of pix of my car. I can't seen to do this any more. Also maddening.

Regarding Gmail, on my 920 I could search more emails (search the server). I noticed today that I couldn't anymore on my 1020. I imported my windows phone account data upon the first time setup wizard. My email accounts were setup automatically ( also have outlook.com and an exchange server email). The Gmail account was setup with imap rather than m.google.com. The m set it up in the past as an active sync account. Google no longer supports that and has their own APIs which I am not sure if they share with MS or if MS hasn't bothered. Probably a 3rd party app could. Maybe it will be native again soon. I should find out but I am trying to use my Gmail less.

Regarding sharing pics, SkyDrive is what I use. Upload to SkyDrive, open app on phone, create folder, move pic to folder, share and copy link.

Long press an image in the browser or in other places to save to phone.
    08-01-2013 10:38 PM
    Regarding Gmail, on my 920 I could search more emails (search the server). I noticed today that I couldn't anymore on my 1020. I imported my windows phone account data upon the first time setup wizard. My email accounts were setup automatically ( also have outlook.com and an exchange server email). The Gmail account was setup with imap rather than m.google.com. The m set it up in the past as an active sync account. Google no longer supports that and has their own APIs which I am not sure if they share with MS or if MS hasn't bothered. Probably a 3rd party app could. Maybe it will be native again soon. I should find out but I am trying to use my Gmail less.

Regarding sharing pics, SkyDrive is what I use. Upload to SkyDrive, open app on phone, create folder, move pic to folder, share and copy link.

Long press an image in the browser or in other places to save to phone.
    I also use SkyDrive and select get link for viewing etc. It even shortens it for you if you want.

As far as Gmail goes I decided that Google has no desires to work with MS. I set up a forward in Gmail to a new outlook.com address. I have honestly not missed Gmail a bit. Granted I was not a big label user etc. though. I have since moved all my calendars to outlook.com as well. I figure that I have moved to a new ecosystem and the best features will require me to use the new ecosystem.
    08-01-2013 10:53 PM
    I went to the AT&T store yesterday with no intention of buying it. I just wanted to look at it. Well I ended up walking out with one. I am super happy with it. Took everything I loved about my 920 and made it better. The camera is AMAZING. I can't wait to really work it out this weekend at the RC Field.

Note, I now have a red 920 for sale LOL
    Same story here. Agreed on all points. The bump is awkward but that's the price to pay for the 41mp beast. Maybe the wireless charging cover smoothes it a bit. I'll take the lighter weight over wireless charge. Going to ebay my 920 as well.
    08-01-2013 10:55 PM
    I was able to setup my Gmail like I had it before on my 920 using exchange active sync. Apparently google has agreed to extend ActiveSync support until the end of this year. It was supposed to end July 31.

Delete the Email account that was setup using the google account settings. Setup a new account and use the Outlook exchange option instead. Set the server as m.google.com and domain as google.com. It's a bit clunky to setup but it is working like a regular exchange account, push email and can search for more email on the server. At least until the end of this year....
    08-02-2013 01:36 AM
    I'm interested in knowing if the 'other' bug is taken care of, might pick up that phone but the weight could be an issue.
    08-02-2013 03:32 AM
    Any particular reason why you allowed the largest advertising company in the world host your email? You should upgrade to outlook.com as soon as possible.
    I've been using Gmail since closed beta so it now happens to be my primary account. I suppose I could have it forward all of my mail to my live account and just use that.
    Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Board Express
    08-02-2013 03:59 AM
    Love the phone. I have always loved windows phone also. Only thing that will make this complete is if they release a youtube app. Kind of like the one they bad and then pulled. I know MS and google are working on a new one. Also, a few of my favorite apps are now on WP. Nothing terrible. I can wait if they bring them eventually but the youtube thing needs to get released right away.
    Check out the YouTube HD app in the app store. It works well for me and is well designed.
    Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Board Express
    08-02-2013 04:00 AM
    ^The 1020 is not available globally yet pal, give it some time to rock the concert.
    aggie likes this.
    08-02-2013 04:27 AM
141 1234 ...