Are you happy with your 1020?

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I went to the AT&T store yesterday with no intention of buying it. I just wanted to look at it. Well I ended up walking out with one. I am super happy with it. Took everything I loved about my 920 and made it better. The camera is AMAZING. I can't wait to really work it out this weekend at the RC Field.

Note, I now have a red 920 for sale LOL

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
The biggest problem with the email client is that it doesn't let you search older messages than your default amount of loaded messages in the client unless its your hotmail account. I use Gmail. I frequently search for old messages and I can not seem to do this on the wp8 mail client. Maddening!

I am overcoming some of my other gripes.

Someone please please let me know if you find a way to upload a picture from the phone to any online host to be able to copy and paste an image link or bbcode to a forum. I am a forum ***** and spend pretty much all day on car forums where I typically post a lot of pix of my car. I can't seen to do this any more. Also maddening.

Haven't tried yet, but is it possible to save images from the browser??
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Board Express

Regarding Gmail, on my 920 I could search more emails (search the server). I noticed today that I couldn't anymore on my 1020. I imported my windows phone account data upon the first time setup wizard. My email accounts were setup automatically ( also have outlook.com and an exchange server email). The Gmail account was setup with imap rather than m.google.com. The m set it up in the past as an active sync account. Google no longer supports that and has their own APIs which I am not sure if they share with MS or if MS hasn't bothered. Probably a 3rd party app could. Maybe it will be native again soon. I should find out but I am trying to use my Gmail less.

Regarding sharing pics, SkyDrive is what I use. Upload to SkyDrive, open app on phone, create folder, move pic to folder, share and copy link.

Long press an image in the browser or in other places to save to phone.

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Regarding Gmail, on my 920 I could search more emails (search the server). I noticed today that I couldn't anymore on my 1020. I imported my windows phone account data upon the first time setup wizard. My email accounts were setup automatically ( also have outlook.com and an exchange server email). The Gmail account was setup with imap rather than m.google.com. The m set it up in the past as an active sync account. Google no longer supports that and has their own APIs which I am not sure if they share with MS or if MS hasn't bothered. Probably a 3rd party app could. Maybe it will be native again soon. I should find out but I am trying to use my Gmail less.

Regarding sharing pics, SkyDrive is what I use. Upload to SkyDrive, open app on phone, create folder, move pic to folder, share and copy link.

Long press an image in the browser or in other places to save to phone.

I also use SkyDrive and select get link for viewing etc. It even shortens it for you if you want.

As far as Gmail goes I decided that Google has no desires to work with MS. I set up a forward in Gmail to a new outlook.com address. I have honestly not missed Gmail a bit. Granted I was not a big label user etc. though. I have since moved all my calendars to outlook.com as well. I figure that I have moved to a new ecosystem and the best features will require me to use the new ecosystem.

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I went to the AT&T store yesterday with no intention of buying it. I just wanted to look at it. Well I ended up walking out with one. I am super happy with it. Took everything I loved about my 920 and made it better. The camera is AMAZING. I can't wait to really work it out this weekend at the RC Field.

Note, I now have a red 920 for sale LOL

Same story here. Agreed on all points. The bump is awkward but that's the price to pay for the 41mp beast. Maybe the wireless charging cover smoothes it a bit. I'll take the lighter weight over wireless charge. Going to ebay my 920 as well.

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
The biggest problem with the email client is that it doesn't let you search older messages than your default amount of loaded messages in the client unless its your hotmail account. I use Gmail. I frequently search for old messages and I can not seem to do this on the wp8 mail client. Maddening!

I was able to setup my Gmail like I had it before on my 920 using exchange active sync. Apparently google has agreed to extend ActiveSync support until the end of this year. It was supposed to end July 31.

Delete the Email account that was setup using the google account settings. Setup a new account and use the Outlook exchange option instead. Set the server as m.google.com and domain as google.com. It's a bit clunky to setup but it is working like a regular exchange account, push email and can search for more email on the server. At least until the end of this year....

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm interested in knowing if the 'other' bug is taken care of, might pick up that phone but the weight could be an issue.

10 Gauge

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Any particular reason why you allowed the largest advertising company in the world host your email? :shocked: You should upgrade to outlook.com as soon as possible.
I've been using Gmail since closed beta so it now happens to be my primary account. I suppose I could have it forward all of my mail to my live account and just use that.
Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Board Express

10 Gauge

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Love the phone. I have always loved windows phone also. Only thing that will make this complete is if they release a youtube app. Kind of like the one they bad and then pulled. I know MS and google are working on a new one. Also, a few of my favorite apps are now on WP. Nothing terrible. I can wait if they bring them eventually but the youtube thing needs to get released right away.

Check out the YouTube HD app in the app store. It works well for me and is well designed.
Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Board Express

10 Gauge

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone tell if there's a "scroll to top" feature. On iPhone if you tap your status bar it will scroll you to the top of your browser or Facebook app, etc. I find myself excessively "digging" in Facebook to get all the way back to the top of my news feed after browsing a few hundred posts down.

Also, what's the battery drain like from the standby clock that never goes away. I suppose it can't be too bad or they wouldn't have designed it to be on all the time like it is.

Last edited:

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
There is no "scroll to top" feature, unfortunately. MS tends to miss the boat on practical usability issues like this. Not having any fast way to scroll up, or down for that matter, has been irritating on a number of occasions.

You may be better off reloading the page or going to a bookmark, if data usage is not an issue.

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
it is surprising that pple are even buying it for the cost that it came with. I think the take up will be higher once it reaches 150 -199 dollar price range.. it should have come in at that price but don't know what pple are thinking to bring it in at 299.. esp with windows OS. Anyway I think this is controlling the stock situation. Lets see when it becomes 199.. or 150.. the US is spoiled with choices and with cheaper phones.. lets see how it does in Europe and Asia when it comes eventually.

Tom_900

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Just remember the research done to create this phone and the technology inside it! This isn't a regular smartphone!! And what's wrong with Windows phone? Jeeez, I hate people who only 'follow the crowd'.

Last edited:

strikeIII

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
This is my opinion and the way I use my device...I voted mixed. Even though Nokia makes great hardware it is very limited with WP8. It's a great OS but it's lacking a lot of basic functions an phone OS should have this day in age. I'm primarily an Android user and even though the "lack of apps" complaint does not bother me as I don't use tons of apps and have been able to find 3rd party alternatives for the ones that I do need. My last Windows Phone went back to Windows Mobile 6 days and they have seriously stripped down a lot of basic OS features. I'm not going to list them as there are tons of threads about what WP8 lacks over in the WP8 forum. I'm over 1 week with using WP8 as a daily driver to see how I can survive without Android. I'm growing accustomed to the 1020, the camera by far has been the best, and the way WP8 works and I seriously think I can convert to WP8 but if they don't improve on it later this year like they say they will then I don't think I could last on it. Right now I'm pretty much just "getting by" with what it can't do but eventually the features I've grown accustomed to will soon drive me back to Android. Also, the MS cloud ecosystem needs to greatly improve as well which is another big reason I would stick with my Android device and Google Services. No 200GB SkyDrive option and only a 2GB file size upload limit is a real deal breaker to me. WP8 has given OCD lately with always hitting the back button to make sure all apps are closed out, and it drives me crazy! So, to me the L1020 device itself is awesome the OS and Ecosystem behind it is what's lacking.

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone tell if there's a "scroll to top" feature. On iPhone if you tap your status bar it will scroll you to the top of your browser or Facebook app, etc. I find myself excessively "digging" in Facebook to get all the way back to the top of my news feed after browsing a few hundred posts down.

I don't think so, but you can create a link with the following URL/web address, javascript:scroll(0,0)

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Also, what's the battery drain like from the standby clock that never goes away. I suppose it can't be too bad or they wouldn't have designed it to be on all the time like it is.

I heard that it can be pretty bad, but you can also turn it off in the settings. Under dispaly+touch, swipe to the left or right until you see "Glance" and you can turn it off there. I haven't done any tests with it, myself. I keep it turned off (I wear a watch so don't use my phone for the time ;)). I may run some tests myself this weekend to see if it's really a big deal as I'm kind of curious as well.

B1zzle

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Who would rather hold down a middle round button, wait for a wee window to appear then long press each app to close them

Or clear ram, or hit "end all" from another menu after a long press?

I think the back arrow is simple for closing apps.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I heard that it can be pretty bad, but you can also turn it off in the settings. Under dispaly+touch, swipe to the left or right until you see "Glance" and you can turn it off there. I haven't done any tests with it, myself. I keep it turned off (I wear a watch so don't use my phone for the time ;)). I may run some tests myself this weekend to see if it's really a big deal as I'm kind of curious as well.

If it is done the same way as they did it in old Nokia N9 (Meego Harmattan OS), then it should go off in your pocket or in your case (base on a distance sensor) ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster