Are you happy with your 1020?

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm almost right there with ya and it takes a lot for me to say that being an Android guy. There's quite a few apps I still miss and just like on my 920 I still miss a true notification center but the device and OS are a joy to use. Not a fan of IE, really wish we could get chrome or firefox browser but that's just a minor complaint. My biggest issue is my fear of scratching up the camera bumpout as it absorbs the most contact every time you set it down. Going to have to find some kind of skin to cover it up with.

Put a screen cover/protector on it and you can lay it face down ;) how many phones would you normally protect the backside compared to the front? This might be the first! lol

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Well....bought my 1020 this past Sunday and so far I am really enjoying it. I was a hold over from Palm, and have been using the Palm/HP Pre 3 for almost 2 years and it was just time to move on to a new OS. I really like the Palm OS, but I am also enjoying Windows. What really caused me to make the change was the camera on the 1020. I don't have a separate camera and was finding the need for a better camera than offered on my Pre 3, so it just seemed like a no brainer. There are a few things I do miss from my Pre 3, like being able to use my own sound notifications for text and email alerts (I just can't distinquish a huge difference between the limited sounds made available for text and email alerts), so hopefully one day they will fix that. At least I could use my old ringtones for the phone. I miss a simple on/off ringer switch (literally, on/off). I also miss being able to just place my phone on the wireless charger, but I will invest in the charging "shell" and get either the stand or the plate. I am waiting to get the shell because I want to to see if a good case/charging shell will be available soon. And lastly, I really miss being able to just flip back and forth between applications (what few I had available). Of course, the WP 8 does allow for some of that, but not quite as good on that front.

What I am enjoying is the much larger screen, much more fluid screen (except for moving between apps), the camera is kick ****, the internet moves very fast via the Wi-Fi, far more applications than what I was used to, and other smaller things that weren't available on my Pre 3 (group texts!). I had no hitches on hooking my phone up to my car's bluetooth for hands free calling and the phone itself seems to be very good. I have had little time to play with the camera, but what I have done has been very cool. Also, I have not had a chance to try the voice recognition stuff, so curious as to how well that works. So, even before I have my phone completely up and running 100%, I am very pleased with the move to Windows 8 and the 1020.

Tim Dearden

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
The size of the full quality image ranges between 9-15 mb. I don't think it is too much to ask to be given the option to email the full quality image. Especially since it is not an option in Skydrive like you said. I hope this becomes an option in the future. Other than this one small detail, I really love this phone. Everything else appears to be flawless.

10 Gauge

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
First time poster, hello everyone!

I just picked up a 1020 yesterday from my local AT&T store and am in the process of getting used to it. I come from a long history of iPhone fanboyism (as in I've had every iPhone on launch day until this point). I am really trying my hardest to love this phone but I am thinking it will be back to iPhone for me.

There are some things that I just can't overlook such as the very shoddy copy and paste which only works in certain places and is somewhat awkward to use. The built-in email client is pretty much garbage. As far as I can tell there is no way to app switch without having to go back to the home screen or the app list and go back in to a previously opened app (maybe somebody can show me a faster way). App support is obviously lackluster at best but I can get over that. Most of the apps I have downloaded feel like they are half-assed or incomplete. I felt like my iPhone apps were far more robust. The battery life isn't all that I was told it was going to be cracked up to be, I started this morning @ 5am with 100% battery life and I was down to 10% by 9am. Currently I am having a charging issue... I have it plugged in, it says the phone is charging, but is telling me it's going to take 1day 11hours to finish charging, and my battery percentage is still dropping. I've tried plugging it in to 2 outlets and 2 computers and it's telling me the same thing. Not sure what the heck the problem is but I need to get that sorted. Another disapointment is that it won't even charge in my car off of my JBC head unit with a USB connection, much less play any of my music. I can't figure out a way to get images uploaded to the internet on free image hosts, neither IE nor UC Browser let you "browse" for files and upload them from the device as I could do with my iPhone. I have been trying to post pictures to a few forums for hours this morning trying every way I could think but I don't see how it can be done.

It's looking more and more like I will be using my 15 day grace period and returning this phone to go back to my iPhone for the time being.

The camera on this device is what attacted me to it, and it's nothing short of brilliant for a phone camera. It certainly doesnt dissapoint in that arena but I have been thoroughly unimpressed by WP8.

MurphieB

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Definitely a happy customer here, the speed of the device is great. I have practically zero lag in everything I do. From opening up apps to using IE to browse web sites. It works really nice and seems pretty stable. The lack of T9 keyboard isn't that bad for the clumsily fingered with the autocorrecting qwerty keyboard. Obviously the camera is stellar. All the apps I need seem to be available and work well, so that's not a problem.

Things I dislike are:
  • No notification LED/light to tell you that a call/text was missed, my N8 had this, is very useful if you don't have your phone on you at all times.
  • Needed to reboot the OS to get tiles to update correctly.
  • Had a few problems when unlocking my phone, it tells me I entered the password incorrectly when I didn't type in a password at all, I then need to type in A1B2C3 then I type in my password and all it well. Hoping it doesn't continue as my work policy could cause the phone to be wiped clean from entering in a password to many times incorrectly.

Other than that I am really happy!

Jaybotics

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Coming from an iPhone 5, and being with iOS since the start. I am VERY happy with the switch. I installed iOS 7 on my i5, but I wasn't impressed. It was moreso the same OS just reskinned. I love WP8, and I love where the platform is going. I'm very happy with Nokia and the support that they offer for their devices.

The camera alone is just amazing.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
As far as I can tell there is no way to app switch without having to go back to the home screen or the app list and go back in to a previously opened app (maybe somebody can show me a faster way).

Press and hold the back button. Any open apps that you didn't back out of will show up.

B1zzle

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site

The battery life isn't all that I was told it was going to be cracked up to be, I started this morning @ 5am with 100% battery life and I was down to 10% by 9am. Currently I am having a charging issue... I have it plugged in, it says the phone is charging, but is telling me it's going to take 1day 11hours to finish charging, and my battery percentage is still dropping. I've tried plugging it in to 2 outlets and 2 computers and it's telling me the same thing. Not sure what the heck the problem is but I need to get that sorted. .

Mine has been iffy, but it looks like a soft reset is fixing this battery issue do to some process
see this thread http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/235709-soft-reset-doubled-my-battery-life.html

I havent tried it yet, but I am going to.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Someone please tell me there is a way to view Flash content on this thing... Smh.

Unfortunately, Adobe killed off mobile Flash a couple of years ago, even on Android. I think Android has some unofficial work arounds, but they haven't had official support since Android 4.0 released.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I am much more impressed with this device than I thought I would be. I ordered it with the following reservations, thinking I would end up using it as a secondary device

1. The camera would not live up to the hype (it did)
  2. I would miss the 1080p screens from my android devices (I don't. At least not as much as I thought I would)
  3. Missing functionality and apps that my Android devices have would cause me to put it down (not the case)

I have been using it as my primary phone for a week now and I don't see myself putting it down any time soon. I do miss some things about android and the hardware on my HTC One, GS4, and Optimus G Pro, but I am also finding Windows Phone to be a breath of fresh air (again) and thoroughly enjoy some of the apps/features it has, specifically the little Nokia add-ons (Nokia's update to Glam Me is pretty epic).

I have been taking pictures like mad and comparing them with my other phones. Literally my only complaint about this device is the low earpiece volume during calls, but I rarely make calls, so I can live with that.

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site

I just picked up a 1020 yesterday from my local AT&T store and am in the process of getting used to it. I come from a long history of iPhone fanboyism (as in I've had every iPhone on launch day until this point). I am really trying my hardest to love this phone but I am thinking it will be back to iPhone for me.

There are some things that I just can't overlook such as the very shoddy copy and paste which only works in certain places and is somewhat awkward to use. The built-in email client is pretty much garbage. As far as I can tell there is no way to app switch without having to go back to the home screen or the app list and go back in to a previously opened app (maybe somebody can show me a faster way). App support is obviously lackluster at best but I can get over that. Most of the apps I have downloaded feel like they are half-assed or incomplete. I felt like my iPhone apps were far more robust. The battery life isn't all that I was told it was going to be cracked up to be, I started this morning @ 5am with 100% battery life and I was down to 10% by 9am. Currently I am having a charging issue... I have it plugged in, it says the phone is charging, but is telling me it's going to take 1day 11hours to finish charging, and my battery percentage is still dropping. I've tried plugging it in to 2 outlets and 2 computers and it's telling me the same thing. Not sure what the heck the problem is but I need to get that sorted. Another disapointment is that it won't even charge in my car off of my JBC head unit with a USB connection, much less play any of my music. I can't figure out a way to get images uploaded to the internet on free image hosts, neither IE nor UC Browser let you "browse" for files and upload them from the device as I could do with my iPhone. I have been trying to post pictures to a few forums for hours this morning trying every way I could think but I don't see how it can be done.

It's looking more and more like I will be using my 15 day grace period and returning this phone to go back to my iPhone for the time being.

The camera on this device is what attacted me to it, and it's nothing short of brilliant for a phone camera. It certainly doesnt dissapoint in that arena but I have been thoroughly unimpressed by WP8.

Not sure what you find wrong with copy and paste and the email client. The email client on WP8 is actually my favorite mobile client.

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget he's used iPhones forever. It really is quite a bit different getting used to the mail client and copy/paste feature on the Windows Phone platform. It does take a while but once you do it's a snap.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I've always liked the email client a lot, but I agree about copy/paste... it is shoddy. Text selection is often way more difficult than it should be, especially when trying to make a selection that begins on the right side of the screen and ends on the left side of the next line down. Absolutely maddening.

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Don't forget he's used iPhones forever. It really is quite a bit different getting used to the mail client and copy/paste feature on the Windows Phone platform. It does take a while but once you do it's a snap.

fair enough reason. I use all 3 mobile OS's and I find them fairly similar in these regards. The poster that started this discussion had some other odd problems too.

10 Gauge

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what you find wrong with copy and paste and the email client. The email client on WP8 is actually my favorite mobile client.
The biggest problem with the email client is that it doesn't let you search older messages than your default amount of loaded messages in the client unless its your hotmail account. I use Gmail. I frequently search for old messages and I can not seem to do this on the wp8 mail client. Maddening!

I am overcoming some of my other gripes.

Someone please please let me know if you find a way to upload a picture from the phone to any online host to be able to copy and paste an image link or bbcode to a forum. I am a forum ***** and spend pretty much all day on car forums where I typically post a lot of pix of my car. I can't seen to do this any more. Also maddening.

Haven't tried yet, but is it possible to save images from the browser??
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Board Express

RRasp

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Love the phone. I have always loved windows phone also. Only thing that will make this complete is if they release a youtube app. Kind of like the one they bad and then pulled. I know MS and google are working on a new one. Also, a few of my favorite apps are now on WP. Nothing terrible. I can wait if they bring them eventually but the youtube thing needs to get released right away.

coteganut

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I enjoy using the phone a lot. Also now it is actually a more fun to use the phone to take pictures since it has so many things to play with instead of usual point and shoot with other phones.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Haven't tried yet, but is it possible to save images from the browser??
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Board Express

I can't help you with the forums posts. It's pretty much up to the forum to make a client that will allow this. For images, though, I can tell you that if you long press the image, a little menu comes up with save or share. The save will pull it down to your phone, the share will allow you to share it with one of your connected accounts (Twitter, Facebook, text, emails, etc).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss