Are you happy with your 1020?

FCone

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I purchased a 1020 outright from a MS kiosk in a south Florida the day before leaving for a 7 day cruise. I took 393 (2.78G) of photos and could not be happier with the results. I mostly shot everything on "auto" but I am looking forward to learning to use the settings. The feature I really thought would be worth it is the post capture Zooming and it has not disappointed. I have thousands of pictures taken over the years that when looking at I just wish I had taken them closer to the "action". With the 1020 I just zoon in and they still look amazing.

Yangstax

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that L1020 was at the 45th on the Amazon Best Seller list last Monday, but today it rose to the 25th postion. It looks like there is some momentum going on. It will be interesting to see what will happen next Monday.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Even if it were the same exact camera as the Lumia 920, I'd be happy because of the weight and size difference. I enjoy holding the device now!

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with it. I think arguably the camera hardware on the 808 is slightly better but so what?

Img Processor vs OS: While I would rather see the 1020 host a dedicated image processor, I think the 1020 should get PHENOMENAL performance ratings for gettting the results it does without this feature!

Saturation and color temperature:
Resolved by a whopping 2 seconds in Aviary:
1020 Full Res Photo:
WP_20130803_12_00_14_Pro__highres | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
And if you despise it, 2 seconds in Aviary gives you the "808" version.. all I did was reduce warmth and saturation slightly
"808":
WP_20130803_12_00_14_Pro__highres | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

But the 1020 has slightly more grain!
Hey, a little fiber is good for photos too! :D

Build:
I have to hand this to the 808 - it really feels like a tank. And I read an article on this board describing the BSI as being far more delicate than the one used in the 808.
Doesn't effect me too much, but in shoots where the phone could incur some abuse, I would trust the 808 to hold up far better than the 1020 - though an Otterbox case for those times might be enough to do the trick.

Overall - after screwing around with this phone, even to the extent where I've had to hard reset it already once or twice - I'm married to it! Putting the 808 up for sale soon.

fmcgirt

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I am happy enough with my 1020 to want very much to keep it but the one thing that is driving me crazy is the Windows Phone app. I have an iMac running Mt. Lion OSX 10.8.4 and sometimes when I connect over USB everything is fine and other times it won't connect at all and after numerous restarts of both the iMac and 1020, changing ports and cables, etc, I can't see what makes the difference. As I say this is driving me crazy!!! Any help or insight would b greatly appreciated.

fmcgirt

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I am happy enough with my 1020 to want very much to keep it but the one thing that is driving me crazy is the Windows Phone app. I have an iMac running Mt. Lion OSX 10.8.4 and sometimes when I connect over USB everything is fine and other times it won't connect at all and after numerous restarts of both the iMac and 1020, changing ports and cables, etc, I can't see what makes the difference. As I say this is driving me crazy!!! Any help or insight would b greatly appreciated.

Thought I would respond to myself since nobody else seems to know much more. Tried removing all other USB cables from Mac, rebooted Mac, restarted 1020, plugged cable into 1020 first and then into Mac, started WP app and all seemed well. Did this a few times without any problems so I don't know.....

Russ in Houston

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey gang,
Just wanted to chime in with my thoughts. I'm an avid photographer and the Pureview camera tech has intrigued me ever since it came out. When the Lumia 1020 was announced, I knew I was going to get one. However, after looking hard at it, and almost pulling the trigger, I instead picked up another Android phone.

I like the look of the phone and the camera application. It looks great and seems to work well. I like the look of WP and wouldn't mind using it. I've used Win Mobile devices in the past (all the way back to Windows CE) so I'm fine with the OS. I'm not a big app user, and the ones I use I could find work arounds for, with one fatal (for me) exception - the Uverse app. I can't believe a phone that is exclusive to the ATT network doesn't have a way to access ATT's premiere service. I even tried using the web to access the Uverse site, and while I could access it, I couldn't control my DVR, which for me is the main point. Having control of my DVR when I'm away from the house is a killer app for me, and I couldn't give that up.

Other niggles that added to me not getting it:
- no expandable memory - Really? With this camera? And yes I know about the free 50gb with ATT locker, etc etc. I want my pictures on my device and my computer. No expandable memory is something dumb/arrogant like Apple pulls. And speaking of Apple...
- no user replaceable battery. For me, this is more of a principal thing as I can work around it. But I like to have the option.
- Cost (right now). I got a really nice phone for less than half the price. I don't mind paying for "new". However, in this case, with the other doubts already in mind, my cheap side won out.

So, I guess I'll be sitting this round out. I can still see me getting one. I really like Nokia phones (had the N95 back in the day - still one of the best phones I've used), and I'm sure as this tech is sprinkled throughout more phone models, I'll see the right phone for me come along. Until then, I hope WP keeps growing and moving along (and develop the dang Uverse App already!).

Please don't consider this a troll post (especially as it's my first post here). I've been lurking for a few weeks ever since I started to seriously consider the 1020. I've learned a lot here, so thanks for that. I just thought my experiences might be useful to someone else considering the phone.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey fmcgirt, I'm glad you found a good workaround. Stuff like this is what finally drove me away from Mac altogether. Great computers, but peripheral interfaces really sucked. I had the iMac, a MacBook Pro and a MacMini. With all three, I lost count of how many times I had to reinstall printer drivers, unplug data & power cables, etc. Moved to Dell and Windows 7 and have been very happy with it.. Only Mac I have now is an iPad which seems to be behaving itself so far

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Other niggles that added to me not getting it:
- no expandable memory - Really? With this camera? And yes I know about the free 50gb with ATT locker, etc etc. I want my pictures on my device and my computer. No expandable memory is something dumb/arrogant like Apple pulls. And speaking of Apple...
- no user replaceable battery. For me, this is more of a principal thing as I can work around it. But I like to have the option.
- Cost (right now). I got a really nice phone for less than half the price. I don't mind paying for "new". However, in this case, with the other doubts already in mind, my cheap side won out.

Hi Russ, Welcome to the party! :)

I would actually agree with you on all of those points and they are valid reasons I considered not getting the 1020: I wanted 64GB internal or at the very least slot expansion; my previous phone had a removable battery and I was grateful for the option; the cost is a doozy and almost a deal breaker. So how did I rectify to actually purchasing the 1020 with those going against it? 1) The camera was worth the sacrifice of minimal storage options; I'd like more, but I'll live with it. 2) As much as I loved the removable battery on my last phone, the 1020 came with a free camera shell that included an additional battery to tap into...sweet! I have yet to run my phone dry on its own battery in the almost three weeks I've owned it so the battery issue isn't such a major concern anymore. 3) And finally, cost. $300 is a lot for a phone, I'll admit...but my employer covers the cost of a new cellphone (up to $300) every two years.

Hopefully one day Nokia releases a phone that meets your needs and we can welcome you into the collective ;) until then, keep lurking, learning and inquiring. It's great community :)

Russ in Houston

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi Russ, Welcome to the party! :)

<snip>
Hopefully one day Nokia releases a phone that meets your needs and we can welcome you into the collective ;) until then, keep lurking, learning and inquiring. It's great community :)

Thanks. I do believe if they had the Uverse app, I'd have the phone right now (as silly as that sounds). It still just boggles my mind that their flagship WP device doesn't fully support their other services.

I'm sure I'll be assimilated in time.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

I am using Lumia 920 mainly with Windows 7 ... I have experienced the such connection problems when I have been using longer USB cables - short USB cables and original USB cable work well - just try if it makes any difference for YOU

snou52

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I love my nokia 1020...i'm coming from an iPhone 5, had the 4 and 4s...apple was getting boring to me and the camera on nokia is what attracted me to it.

I've got to say that with the nokia 1020, you get a little bit of both apple and android...let me explain. I first had the G1 from android and that thing was so unstable and buggy it drove me nuts...so bad that I switched over to iOS. iOS was nice and stable but you really are confined with what you can customize even with a jailbroken iPhone. What I like about windows phone is that is smooth and stable like iOS, but gives you the customization of android.

people keep harping on the cost of the nokia 1020 but I can't think of a 32gb phone that is under $300? maybe android but i'm so turned off by the instability of that os that i'd never go back. most of my friends are on android and have the same issues I had on the G1. phones randomly turn off, laggy phone in general. they would literally go through 3 warranty exchanges during the period I would own each edition of the different iPhones I had.

the complaints I have about the nokia 1020 and windows phone is:
1. the lack of accessories at the moment for the 1020, I've found the speck case which is nice but if I use that I won't be able to get to use my camera grip I received for free and from what I've read the speck case is not one that is easily to remove. which makes sense because I've been purchasing speck cases for my iphones and they are nice but you don't want to remove them because they then start falling apart. but the lack of accessories is due to a smaller market of windows phone users today so I can understand from a profitability perspective though that doesn't make it easier on me the end user.

2. the lack of windows phones apps that i'm used to on iOS. again this is due to a smaller user base but as the number of windows phone users grow apps will start migrating to windows phone. I've read articles that most main apps that are popular on iOS are in development for windows phone, so its not a matter of if they will make it over but rather when.

other than that no complaints from me, great battery, smooth and fast os and STABLE.i've found some cool apps in the store for the time being. I think the nokia 1020 has the potential to grow the windows phone market. remember everyone, nokia is the main player of windows phone, you don't see many other OEMs stepping up to the plate and that's why the eco system has been slow to grow.

I can't believe i'm saying this but I like the windows phone os more than I did my iPhone.

snou52

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
what I've found to help is, uncheck the auto brightness, set it low, and then turn auto brightness back on...it still does auto dim and at lower settings so it helps save battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yangstax View Post

When you set brightness to AUTO and continue working in the sunny days, the screen is always running HIGH for brightness. It is probably the reason for the faster battery drain. Try change from AUTO to medium or low and see if it helps.

B1zzle

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey gang,
Just wanted to chime in with my thoughts. I'm an avid photographer and the Pureview camera tech has intrigued me ever since it came out. When the Lumia 1020 was announced, I knew I was going to get one. However, after looking hard at it, and almost pulling the trigger, I instead picked up another Android phone.

Please don't consider this a troll post (especially as it's my first post here). I've been lurking for a few weeks ever since I started to seriously consider the 1020. I've learned a lot here, so thanks for that. I just thought my experiences might be useful to someone else considering the phone.

BUT think about how many kodak moments you are going to misssss! :D

Chip O

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I voted "mixed".

A nice perk of my job is that I get samples as soon as new smart phones come out. As a result, I always carry many phones and always end up liking some aspects of each while disliking others. My perfect phone would be a mixture of all 4 major OSs.

With that said, I like the Lumia 1020 a lot. It has many good things going for it and the camera really is out of this world for a camera phone. It's no SLR, but it's better than most 200 dollars point and shoot cams out there.

My beef with it is the OS: lack of apps. I own a watch collecting forum and it runs on ProBoards. There is no ProBoard app for WP8 and they said there simply aren't enough requests for them to release one. I also HATE the way it handles the music. Why should I have to reboot by phone to close out the music player? The browser is inferior IMHO and the keyboard is so so. Light years better than Samsung but not as good as iOS, BlackBerry or Swiftkey.

To sum it up, I think my issues are not with Lumia but rather with WP.

wb3052

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Same situation. Iphone 5 is the primary phone. Trying out a HTC 8x in anticipation of a moving on to a lumia 1020 later. WindowsPhone 8 home screen is a delight, far more "pleasurable" then the IOS6. Very fluid too. Apps situation, not so bad. Miss Flip board and Yahoo weather. Don't care about instagram. With the latest Bing AppsI find situation is much more improved.
One disappointment though is the battery life on the 8X is awful even after optimizing. The percentage drops very quickly even when browsing on wifi. That's the one thing I miss about iphone 5. From the GSM Arena test, it seems the Lumia 920 web browsing is just as bad

fmcgirt

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Thought I would respond to myself since nobody else seems to know much more. Tried removing all other USB cables from Mac, rebooted Mac, restarted 1020, plugged cable into 1020 first and then into Mac, started WP app and all seemed well. Did this a few times without any problems so I don't know.....

Guess I spoke too soon. Now I can't get it to connect no matter what I do. I truly hate this...

robstunner

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just picked one up today for $718 out of contract at the Microsoft store. Crazy I know but I've been flipping phones for the longest time and have been so bored with the android elite out there right now (HTC one battery stinks, s4 is meh, and the S4active I have right now is just as boring as the other two). I paid that much out of contract because I don't have an upgrade, but it came with a promised 30 day full money back refund policy and the guy threw in the free camera grip case. So far so good, its mostly getting acclimated to the new OS as its so different. I had a 920 but I really didn't like it. First impressions are MUCH better than the 920, camera quality is jaw dropping although after I take a photo the processing makes it blurrier and the fit is much better in hand. Hopefully the impressions stay positive as I WILL use that full refund should I need to. Now to sell / return this s4 Active.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99