Are you happy with your 1020?

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Guess I spoke too soon. Now I can't get it to connect no matter what I do. I truly hate this...

I currently don't use WP8, but when I had bought WP7 Lumia 710 for my dad and tried to use with the previous WP MAC connector on my mac, didn't have any problems
when I tried at-least a dozen times in a week or so before handing off the phone to my dad.

Seems MS has replaced the MAC app for WP8. Are you using the usb cable provided by Nokia?
Also when you plug the Nokia to MAC do you already have WP MAC app open? Try both ways: With and without open.
Next, if not working, go to Apple Symbol on top left > About this MAC > More Info > System Report > Hardware > USB .
Check if Nokia is showing up anywhere in the list of usb devices?

If it doesn't show up there then I am sure MAC App also can't detect it.
If it shows up there but MAC app can't detect it then it is most likely the app/app's usb driver/phone firmware issue.

Another way to confirm that is to use it with other MAC and Windows computer and see if there is any pattern of failure.
Also sometimes it can be usb cable problem too. Change that and try.

Let me know what you find out. (I am interested in picking up 1020 after couple of months and I exclusively use MAC, so would be good to know about these issues)

lesd777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I ended up with the 1020 and I'm completely happy with it. However, I first had to sell my Lumia 920 and resetting the phone , it bricked. Not even a soft or hard reset would bring it back. I ended up using this forum to get assistance with downloading the correct files to flash the phone to get it back into working order, and thank goodness the buyer was patient as we initially met up and the phone had the spinning gears. Luckily for me he was patient and the next day he bought it. I hope the amber firmware on this 1020 has resolved that mess, as nobody should have to spend hours figuring out how to flash the phone.

Anyways, I was looking at the Android Note 2 and the Lumia 1020, as I had a Galaxy S2 Skyrocket prior to purchasing my 920. Sometimes I miss the ability to root and install custom roms, but I had a WP7 Samsung focus and that's what drew me into WP a couple years ago. I'll admit I wanted the larger screen, but after thinking it over and toying with the Lumia1020, I just couldn't pass it up. I like the lighter weight of the phone, and the camera is just amazing. Since I take a quite a few pics, it really was an easy decision for me. I've had the phone a week, and got a good discount on the AFG case, and I actually like the looks of the phone. The camera isn't as bulky as I thought it would be. Absolutely no regrets here. This is clearly the best phone I've ever had.

fmcgirt

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I currently don't use WP8, but when I had bought WP7 Lumia 710 for my dad and tried to use with the previous WP MAC connector on my mac, didn't have any problems
when I tried at-least a dozen times in a week or so before handing off the phone to my dad.

Seems MS has replaced the MAC app for WP8. Are you using the usb cable provided by Nokia?
Also when you plug the Nokia to MAC do you already have WP MAC app open? Try both ways: With and without open.
Next, if not working, go to Apple Symbol on top left > About this MAC > More Info > System Report > Hardware > USB .
Check if Nokia is showing up anywhere in the list of usb devices?

If it doesn't show up there then I am sure MAC App also can't detect it.
If it shows up there but MAC app can't detect it then it is most likely the app/app's usb driver/phone firmware issue.

Another way to confirm that is to use it with other MAC and Windows computer and see if there is any pattern of failure.
Also sometimes it can be usb cable problem too. Change that and try.

Let me know what you find out. (I am interested in picking up 1020 after couple of months and I exclusively use MAC, so would be good to know about these issues)

As I said in my original post I have tried many combinations of ports and cables including long ,short, original, app open, closed, etc. Can't think of any more combos to try. Right now nothing is working. I will try it with another Mac as soon as I can. And to answer your question about the hardware list, the 1020 beeps and shows up in the USB hardware list as a Nokia 909. This always happens whether it connects and works fine or I get the Can't access device error box. Again restarting the Mac and/or 1020 does not help.

robstunner

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Internet explorer on this phone is a nightmare, I don't know how Microsoft is passing by with it. Two examples, I try to log into swappa.com via my Facebook information and I get "ie mobile does not support this." Then I go on a forum and try to reply to a PM and when I click the message field the keyboard comes up and within one second goes back down. I cannot at all type a message via ie. This is so far the most frustrating thing I've seen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Internet explorer on this phone is a nightmare, I don't know how Microsoft is passing by with it. Two examples, I try to log into swappa.com via my Facebook information and I get "ie mobile does not support this." Then I go on a forum and try to reply to a PM and when I click the message field the keyboard comes up and within one second goes back down. I cannot at all type a message via ie. This is so far the most frustrating thing I've seen.

not sure what's up with your keyboard as I have never seen that happen in my use of the any WP device. That said I am disappointed in how slow ie is compared to other browsers. But it gets the job done at the end of the day.

robstunner

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I think I can live with the "lack" of apps, but the IE thing is frustrating. Sad to see that its not working well, and even worse that there are no other mobile browsers (firefox, chrome) on in the app store.

giffis

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I think I can live with the "lack" of apps, but the IE thing is frustrating. Sad to see that its not working well, and even worse that there are no other mobile browsers (firefox, chrome) on in the app store.

Try Nokia Express Browser. You can login using Facebook account in swappa.com. Browser image quality may be less because of compression.

I used to use chrome a lot, but switched to IE10 completely and uninstalled chrome. Chrome and safari runs a lot process in the back ground and it really kills the overall performance of the system. Each tab consumes a lot of memory and CPU which makes the system run slow. Now I have a silent fan most of the time.

Yes, IE needs improvement too. I am not saying it is perfect. But I got more feed up with chrome.

robstunner

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Try Nokia Express Browser. You can login using Facebook account in swappa.com. Browser image quality may be less because of compression.

I used to use chrome a lot, but switched to IE10 completely and uninstalled chrome. Chrome and safari runs a lot process in the back ground and it really kills the overall performance of the system. Each tab consumes a lot of memory and CPU which makes the system run slow. Now I have a silent fan most of the time.

Yes, IE needs improvement too. I am not saying it is perfect. But I got more feed up with chrome.

Nope, Nokia express won't login either. The option is there and looks like it will, but I never log in. This is like iphone 3G type problems, this shouldn't be an issue in 2013. Google chrome is leaps and bounds better than internet explorer as far as my time with it, that goes for the mobile version as well as desktop

anon395528

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I voted mixed. I really only have one complaint, and it's not really Nokia's fault. That complaint is notifications...my god it's terrible. Live tiles I thought would be a nice workaround....but they take forever to update! I'm sure this will be fixed in due time though..

Hmmmm...I only have one of my friends using a Windows phone...and, his tiles seem to update constantly.....is there a setting for frequency? I am very interested in the 1020 coming from the S3 and this would be an important issue to me.

anon395528

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I voted "mixed".

I also HATE the way it handles the music. Why should I have to reboot by phone to close out the music player?

What do you mean by this? I am just starting to consider this phone.....I currently use PowerAmp on my Android and listen to Pandora quite a bit.....Are you speaking of a stock media player? Also, have you tried the Pandora app? That would be important to me.....Thanks in advance.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean by this? I am just starting to consider this phone.....I currently use PowerAmp on my Android and listen to Pandora quite a bit.....Are you speaking of a stock media player? Also, have you tried the Pandora app? That would be important to me.....Thanks in advance.

If you play a music file stored on your phone, it shows up forever when you bring up the volume controls. The OS gives you no way to get rid of it from there except for rebooting the phone. This is massively irritating to some people (myself included) while others don't seem to care. I think it's especially troublesome because you have to take care to manually close out apps if you want the best battery life, which is a pain the way the back button works, but even if you go through all that, you can't stop the music. It just doesn't let you.

The solution is to use a free app called "Stop The Music". It solves this problem by giving you a stop button that removes the music from the volume UI. I highly recommend it. I wish MS would get a clue and solve this in the OS itself.

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Assuming you've stopped or paused the music, doesn't it eventually disappear from the volume UI on it's own if you wait long enough? That's how podcasts and internet radio work for me on the 920, and I don't notice any hit on the battery.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I know for sure in WP7 it would stay there forever, at least when playing MP3 files. From my early testing it seemed like it worked the same in WP8, and Stop The Music works on WP8, so I figured it was still just as dumb. But now you've got me curious. I'll give it another try to see if it eventually goes away on its own.

It's not about the battery life, btw. I trust that they aren't wasting battery when the music isn't actually playing. (Although I wouldn't put it past an app...) It's about seeing that last song info there every time you need to adjust your volume or silence/unsilence the phone. Even if it's been 2 days and you've moved on to something else, that song info is there staring you in the face, reminding you of a previous time. It feels like there's something left unfinished. Something you can't close and have no control over. Purely a psychological problem. :)

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
lol not a psychological problem. I found it annoying too seeing my podcast or song every time I adjusted the volume but it eventually went away on its own. Not sure how long I had to wait though, maybe an hour or more but that's just a guess.

Flavio76

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
If you play a music file stored on your phone, it shows up forever when you bring up the volume controls. The OS gives you no way to get rid of it from there except for rebooting the phone. This is massively irritating to some people (myself included) while others don't seem to care. I think it's especially troublesome because you have to take care to manually close out apps if you want the best battery life, which is a pain the way the back button works, but even if you go through all that, you can't stop the music. It just doesn't let you.

The solution is to use a free app called "Stop The Music". It solves this problem by giving you a stop button that removes the music from the volume UI. I highly recommend it. I wish MS would get a clue and solve this in the OS itself.
yes also, the appBattery + have a stop button too...Works nicelly

koopiskeva

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I know for sure in WP7 it would stay there forever, at least when playing MP3 files. From my early testing it seemed like it worked the same in WP8, and Stop The Music works on WP8, so I figured it was still just as dumb. But now you've got me curious. I'll give it another try to see if it eventually goes away on its own.

It's not about the battery life, btw. I trust that they aren't wasting battery when the music isn't actually playing. (Although I wouldn't put it past an app...) It's about seeing that last song info there every time you need to adjust your volume or silence/unsilence the phone. Even if it's been 2 days and you've moved on to something else, that song info is there staring you in the face, reminding you of a previous time. It feels like there's something left unfinished. Something you can't close and have no control over. Purely a psychological problem. :)

I just switched to the 1020 from a 900. The last song played goes away after some time in WP8, not sure exactly how long, but definitely within a couple hours. I actually liked having the last song stay there in WP7, so i could resume listening to the current playlist from the lockscreen without having to open the music app.

robstunner

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I just switched to the 1020 from a 900. The last song played goes away after some time in WP8, not sure exactly how long, but definitely within a couple hours. I actually liked having the last song stay there in WP7, so i could resume listening to the current playlist from the lockscreen without having to open the music app.

I'm not so sure about that. I stopped listening to music at 7am this morning, and its currently 335 and the Nokia music I was listening to still shows up when I hit the volume buttons. I guess it just doesn't bother me as much.

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
The device itself is fantastic. I'm not completely happy, but it has more to do with my need to have the latest and greatest, as opposed to Nokia's phone building prowess. I don't think I need this much camera. The trade-offs for great pictures, including the delay between shots and protuberance on the back, aren't worth it for me, simply because I don't need pictures this good. I'm using the standard camera app, which removes the delay, but I'm still stuck with this unnaturally shaped device. I take casual shots, share them on fb, twitter, ig, and amongst friends and family. The camera on my 920 was perfectly fine. I'm thinking about selling it and getting a 925, but the 16gb limit is holding me back.

So anyways, the device is great, but it's probably not made for someone like me.

koopiskeva

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm not so sure about that. I stopped listening to music at 7am this morning, and its currently 335 and the Nokia music I was listening to still shows up when I hit the volume buttons. I guess it just doesn't bother me as much.

Well, I'm not exactly sure how long it takes, but I'm also talking specifically the music+videos app. Never used the Nokia Music app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6