Lumia 1020 ##3282 field test menu

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
i am from india and ##3282 option is taken out with Amber update on on my 920. I had access to it before amber. Any idea of new codes?

Sorry to hear that. What carrier is the phone branded with? The option seems to vary by carrier ROM, although this is the first I have heard of an Amber ROM without it. I bought the 1020 because it did bring it back after AT&T removed it on the 920 update that was several months ago. I assume the Ambet 920 on AT&T will have it since the 1020 does, but we will see soon. Unfortunately there is probably not a way to get it back without flashing another ROM. Try some variations like ##3282# or #3282.

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
How do you get it back to Automatic? I have tried setting it on Automatic but it stays on the last band selected even through a reboot.

My 1020 defaults back to automatic whenever I reboot or turn off cellular and turn back on, such as using airplane mode. In fact even if I change to 3g, back out of the app and then go back in, it is set to automatic, but will actually stay in 3g until the cellular turns off and back on. It works pretty much the same with my 920 running the older firmware that still allows it.

Never had the issue you are describing but I have heard of it from forums.

Are you on AT&T?

robamacaf

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I go into settings and change Network Type to 3G Only instead of automatic. There is no save button so I press back. Then I press back again to exit the field test. The problem is if I go back to ##3282 it shows it is still on Automatic mode and that the change to Network Type didn't save. How do I make it stick?

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I go into settings and change Network Type to 3G Only instead of automatic. There is no save button so I press back. Then I press back again to exit the field test. The problem is if I go back to ##3282 it shows it is still on Automatic mode and that the change to Network Type didn't save. How do I make it stick?

Same thing here, but the question is after you change to 3G Only and back out of the field test, what does is your antenna reading when you pull the status bar down from the top of the phone?

Here's what I have noticed;

T-Mobile USA by the way..

Running standard boot-up on LTE:
Phone and Data work
Tethering Broken
(This is why I learned to deactivate LTE so I could tether once in a while - not a defect; just a nuance of using ATT optimized hardware with T-Mobile because I'm too impatient to wait for a more compatible version!)

After changing to 3G, Antenna reads 3G or 4G depending on strength. 4G but not LTE since I am in a refarmed area so phone can access the higher speed 3G that reads as 4G.
Phone, Data, AND Tethering work.

Going back to Field Test, box is now marked "automatic" but phone is still 3G in antenna reading- so I think when the change is made FT redefines the current setting as "automatic"

I can also change back and forth between 2G and 3G at this point (2G makes the Antenna display "E" for Edge).
After changes,
Phone, Data, and Tethering work.

However, if I attempt to change back to "4G Only" without rebooting..
Data Works
But Phone and Tethering are broken
Tethering because of the incompatibility of the feature with T-Mobile LTE frequencies; but phone won't work at all. When I try to call, the phone disconnects immediately after I hit the Call button.

For me, rebooting resolves all of this and gets me back to the default LTE mode where everything but tethering works. However, since the radio has to reset, after powering down, I usually try to wait at least 1 minute before powering up again. I haven't tried it, but I am guessing a soft reset (Vol Down + Power until power down and vibration - about 10-15 seconds) might work as well.

Hope this helps!

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Not working for me anymore either!

Just recently the radio refused to reset itself on power down.

Hard reset - restore - still broken

Hard reset - clean wipe - LTE finally came back.

So, I have given up internet tethering for this machine unless I switch to AT&T or switch to a later version which will hopefully be an unlocked OEM. I think the problem is the ATT optimization in the phone's hardware. To me, sharing is a small sacrifice when everything else is completely up and running well..

MHSEA

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
i have a unlocked Lumia 1020 from Three (UK)
i cant access the field test menu and also the highest connection speed is disabled as well :(
Please help, Any ideas ?

Brian Brannon

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I did find a way to reset to automatic. It involved a lot of setting to automatic then doing things in a certain order but I didn't pay enough attention when I did it. I will try to recreate the steps to get it back to automatic but it is possible.

Alex Perry

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I can change my highest available network right from settings/mobile network. No need for field test mode. Rogers 1020.

Also, internet sharing can be enabled. I guess a big YAY! for Rogers.

Brian Brannon

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
With ATT software go to the field test menu and select 2G then toggle DNS off. Then select Automatic and toggle DNS on, back one screen then reboot and it will go back to automatic data speed selection

sluiro

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I believe this type of code's and commands date back to once advanced Intelligent Network Switches that allowed different settings, activations, enabling/disabling or blocking of call transfers or services to be done from any tone dialling capable phone...and these commands actually where more or less same as the signalled tones towards the switching center...

So it would be very logical that AT&T also follows these principles and has just either themselves (from their switching center) or by device manufacturer implemented operator tailored HW configuration or SW build disabled this feature ....or just moved it to require a password.

If it would have been moved behind a password, this would mean that some command like *3282*password# or *3282*password**Parameter# could still do the same
As in these old syntaxes ##ServceNbr# would remove something while the one's I proposed would activate something. If this is the case someone could test enough combinations to find a solution, as service engineers need to remember the passwords they tend to be short or at least logical
:smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720