Lumia 1020 ##3282 field test menu

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm surprised I have not seen anyone yet mention that the ability to use ##3282 field test menu to change Network Type, i.e. lock on 2G,3G,4G, or automatic, is back with the Lumia 1020. This is something that was taken away in the AT&T 920 post portico updates. Maybe it is part of the amber update on the 920 as well.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Probably get taken away in a future update as well, this is att after all....:wink:

And that is why Microsoft should have never given the carriers the option to do so by letting them controll the update process and screwing over paying customers wherever possible.

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I dealt with this issue on my 920 and spent a good amount of time complaining on the phone with Nokia and AT&T support, both on the line at the same time . Also took to twitter @NokiaCareUS as well. I'm going think positive and hope that it's here to stay and my complaining helped 😊

Hopefully the 920 gets amber soon and has this function back too. I went ahead and got the 1020 since I was able to get upgrade pricing, but I know many 920ers will be happy if it is so.

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
By the way for newbies to this, I don't recommend changing anything other than network type which is found by pressing the ellipses then go to settings. If you go back in after changing it to something other than automatic, it will look like it is still set to automatic but phone should lock on the network type previously selected until the radio powers off. Then the phone radio actually goes back to automatic.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
And that is why Microsoft should have never given the carriers the option to do so by letting them controll the update process and screwing over paying customers wherever possible.

Hard to do when you are trying to convince them to even carry and advertise your phones.

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I used this field menu to disable LTE. Will that increase my battery life even though I'm only using 3g?

I left it on 3G today all day and got the best battery life I've had on the 920 or 1020. Disabling LTE usually does improve battery life for me with no noticeable drop in speed using apps that use data. I was playing Xbox music a lot today and didn't run out of juice. About 16 hours between charges with moderate use. By the way, the speaker is better on the 1020. Cleaner sound vs. 920, doesn't rattle at high volume. Very good sound for a phone speaker. Among the many small improvements and then there is the amazing camera. This is a fun phone to own.

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. On the L900, there was the diagnostic code (I think ##0632# or something like that) that had a lot of tests that we could run on the phone. The most useful feature in there, I thought, was the ability to see the current charge rate (or discharge rate) of the battery. I never found a way to do that on the 920. Does anyone know of a way to do that on the 1020?

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
##634# shows you a 'color + counter' screen

anyone else know any other codes? is there a list somewhere

interesting, if you press *#07# it takes you to the 'extras + info' menu but it has more info at the bottom compared to when you access it through setting, the few extra lines of info are about compliance with SAR and ICNIRP guidelines

Last edited:

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Be VERY careful with the #3282. When I toggled between a couple of networks settings, afterwards, my phone could do data, but wouldn't make calls! Tried everything; hard reset finally brought it back. This is definitely something I am taking off my screwing-around-with list..

[edit] I found out what I did wrong - after hitting "Accept" I got confused by all of the items; I went into "LTE" then accessed settings. After re-reading the posts here more carefully, I found out what I should have done was go from "Accept" directly into settings without accessing anything else. Now that I found this out, this feature is working perfectly for me!!

Last edited:

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
What is polling frequency? Is it how often it searches to connect to a tower? If so would extending that help preserve battery if my place of work has a signal black hole by my desk?

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Be VERY careful with the #3282. When I toggled between a couple of networks settings, afterwards, my phone could do data, but wouldn't make calls! Tried everything; hard reset finally brought it back. This is definitely something I am taking off my screwing-around-with list..

I've been using the field test menu since I got the 920 and now the 1020. I only change the network setting. I don't mess with any other settings. Never had any issues with it. In fact it has solved many issues, namely LTE not working and/or making the phone hot and draining battery. I usually change the network setting to 3G and leave it there. Use at your own risk, but I've never had any issues changing the network setting. The 925 on T-mobile lets you do the same thing, although it's not buried in a hidden menu. It's in Settings - Cellular. Whereas on AT&T they disable changing the network speed and just allow you to toggle the network on or off.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, it is now working for me also. I had made a mistake in accessing the LTE tab and then settings. I didn't see then that the master list had its own settings function. It is working very well. Also, I can now access the internet sharing feature that works well on 3g/4g but for some reason won't work while the phone is on LTE.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss