06-27-2014 01:55 PM
90 1234
tools
    I just received my unlock code for the 920. Will be selling it here soon. I was told by the ATT rep, it would be 90 days until I could unlock the 1020. Luck of the draw, I suppose...
    08-05-2013 06:31 PM
    Chatted with AT&T customer service and while I was removing and adding features I asked her if she could give me the unlock code for my 1020. I was honest and told her that It would save me some money on my trip to Costa Rica, in a few days, if I could get it unlock so I can use it over there. Well, after a few minutes she gave me the instructions and told me the phone is limited to 5 unlocks per year. She gave me the code and I lived happily ever after. I wont be able to try it until I get there though. Hopefully everything works out.
    08-05-2013 11:53 PM
    I got the International plan sales pitch when I brought up travel. I'll try the save me money honesty angle if I need to travel, oddly also to Costa Rica.
    08-06-2013 06:59 AM
    If you are going to Costa Rica, get a Claro sim. Its like $4 a week for 2 gigs of internet..........and you can tether too. That's what I do when I am in CR.
    texantony likes this.
    08-06-2013 11:03 AM
    I was probably the biggest doubter of this thread as I've never had a good experience with AT&T and never been able to have a phone unlocked through them.

But I like challenges, so I went and bought a 1020 in the local Microsoft Store and after several calls to AT&T, a couple of visits to the Microsoft Store, I can honestly say that my 1020 is now unlocked. Btw, I'm a GoPhone customer. I talked to four people at AT&T. Three of them said NO but the fourth one let me do it. :-)

Bottom line: IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHO YOU TALK TO AT AT&T

I have to say that the experience I had at the Microsoft Store is the best retail experience I've ever had. They were phenomenal. :-)

Good luck!
    08-06-2013 06:00 PM
    Just got mine from MS Store. Bought off-contract. Had to call ATT twice to get it unlock. The first call took me 10 mins. The guy ultimately told me to go to att.com/deviceunlock to get it unlock. Ain't got no time for that. I called again and spoke to a lady. Took 3 mins to get the unlock code. She just asked me the IMEI # and 10 secs later, she gave me the unlock code. I got the yellow, free cam grip (not in yellow though :( ), $50 gift card, and $10 gift for apps.
    08-06-2013 06:20 PM
    ... I got the yellow, free cam grip (not in yellow though :( ), $50 gift card, and $10 gift for apps.
    I bought it off contract, too and had mine unlocked but what gift card and $10 gift for apps are you referring to? Is it too late? :(
    08-07-2013 01:43 AM
    I got the camera grip and matching AT&T price, but no gift cards or credits....although I didn't ask for it. After everything that the MS employees did for me, I couldn't bare to ask for more. However, they seem willing to negotiate so I'm not surprised that some people got more goodies.
    08-07-2013 01:02 PM
    i bought it at the microsoft store in chicago - they matched AT&T at 660 with camera grip and $10 app voucher. Called AT&T three times, first lady said i much have service for 90 days. Called back, same lady so i hung up. Third try, she gave me the unlock code. I told her i bought the phone specifically for vacations and taking photos and that i needed it unlocked for an upcomming trip. I was clear that i bought the phone that same day. She was a sweetheart.

I am now using the Nokia 1020 / 909 on T Mobile and have LTE and life is good. My reception is 100 times better than the previous phone such that is almost unbelievable. I am a very very happy guy.

Bottom line: if you know how to be nice on the phone with the customer reps they might just unlock the phone for you.
    kiddori likes this.
    08-08-2013 01:10 PM
    I bought it off contract, too and had mine unlocked but what gift card and $10 gift for apps are you referring to? Is it too late? :(
    I didn't even know about the gift card that they're giving out. I bought this at MS Store (local).
    08-08-2013 08:23 PM
    Does the 1020 support rhe 1700 band or are those getting LTE speeds on T-Mobile getting it on the refarmed 1900?
    08-08-2013 11:14 PM
    Hello guys, bought mine 3 days ago at Microsoft Store in Houston without contract (paid 699). I'm not living in US and I'm leaving the country in a couple of days. Can someone here help me to unlock the phone if I provide the Imei code? My problem is that I can't find a way to chat or phone with an ATT rep, because I'm not a subscriber.
    08-09-2013 01:40 PM
    Just buy the unlock code from ebay. it's less than $4 and totally worth not having to deal with AT&T CS. I've bought codes now 3 times (all for Lumia 920 to use on T-mobile) and they worked perfectly. I just did a quick search and there's a few sellers already offering codes for 1020's.

1020 unlock | eBay

For those switching the devices to use on Tmobile, device works perfect, the only thing you need to do is edit the MMS APN and point it to the T-mobile server. Everything else works perfectly (full bars on LTE) .
    08-09-2013 02:32 PM
    francescos -- just call ATT customer service number while you're still in the country. Just be courteous and tell them the following (That's what I told them when I had my phone unlocked):

- you were told by other ATT rep that the phone can be ulnocked before purchasing the phone
    - you paid for the phone in full already off contract
    - you do not have an account with ATT
    - you'll be traveling to other countries
    - don't be rude or angry on the phone

That's it, and the rep should ask you for your IMEI number and will say oh it can be unlocked, and he/she will try to get the code from another person while put you on hold. If you don't get the code, either the rep is lying, lazy or just uninformed. Try calling again later or chat with a rep online.
    08-09-2013 02:43 PM
    Interesting news, thanks for sharing everyone!

I'm from the UK but will be going to New York early next month. It'd be quite a lot cheaper to buy the phone in the States - just wondering, if anything was wrong with my phone, would I be able to send it back to Nokia in the UK or would it be a US-only warranty?
    08-09-2013 03:15 PM
    Well, after a few minutes she gave me the instructions and told me the phone is limited to 5 unlocks per year.
    Firstly, just get a T-Mobile SIM to kick off the unlock so that you don't have to wait until you're overseas to find out if it works.

Secondly, the '5 unlocks' refers not to the amount of times you can unlock the phone, but rather the number of tries you get to input the right unlock code.

I also used AT&T's online chat support (purchased my phone outright from a retail Microsoft Store) and they gave me my code.
    08-09-2013 04:23 PM
    Although i'll try At & t unlocking it's nice with a backup plan. Is unlockitnow legit and has anyone used it before? I am a dane currently in the states and the savings along with getting one now and not in a couple months is really appealing.
    Also as far as I can read on the specs this does work on danish/european networks. Am I correct or mistaken? :)
    08-10-2013 01:53 AM
    I wanted to see for myself if this works with my recently purchased 1020. So I called AT&T this evening and the service rep directed me to their unlock request website, basically telling me that I can just go to this site and put in a request for the unlock code, I was a little skeptical because that just seemed to easy. I go to this site and put in my information but I got the message "this phone cannot be unlocked at this time" or something to that effect....So I call AT&T back, got a different service rep, again explained to him why I needed the code, this rep was completely different than the previous one I encountered. He basically just had to check my information, make sure the phone had not been reported lost or stolen, check to see if I had an outstanding bill since AT&T is my carrier, after about 5 minutes, everything checked out and he asked me if I had a pen available to write down the code, or he could send it to me via text message! Got the code and tested it out using a sim card I had from Europe, and it worked! So, like I read in previous comments, I guess it depends on who you talk to at AT&T!
    08-10-2013 10:11 PM
    For those who unlock and use with T-Mobile, are you able to get Internet Sharing & MMS to work? Or do you end up with problems similar to the 920?
    08-12-2013 10:18 AM
    I'm getting an unlocked version from Negri that arrives tomorrow This may be a stupid question, but what do I do next? Can I drop in thesim card used in the 8x I have (it didn't have LTE) or do I go into a T mo store for a new sim card?
    08-12-2013 11:14 AM
    i havent tried internet sharing, but MMS seams to be an issue (havent tried too much but it did fail)
    08-12-2013 11:30 AM
    MMS is not an issue. Just need to change your apn settings to those of tmobile.
    Or you can install the access point app and then leave your apn settings blank.
    08-12-2013 07:41 PM
    Thanks for sharing your experience with us, tarpido!

I purchased my Nokia Lumia 1020 from Microsoft Store without a contract (full price), and had to call AT&T for unlock code (couldn't use online chat because I don't have AT&T number).

1st call : The rep said that I have to go through att.com/deviceunlock

2nd call : The rep (different person) said the same thing. I told the rep that I tried, but att.com/deviceunlock requires "copy of your original receipt" via FAX, which I don't have. The rep then basically said, "sorry can't help ya" and advised me to use paid fax service.

Ok. Fax service it is. Went to att.com/deviceunlock, selected "Non-Customer OR Paid No-Commitment Price", entered information and it said "Currently, this device cannot be unlocked". Oh. Fantastic.

3rd call : The rep (different person) said happy to help and asked for 1. IMEI 2. When I bought it 3. Where I bought it from. After a few minutes of checking, I was given the unlock code!!

So, I have to agree with others. It depends on who you get on the phone.

Be patient and good luck everyone!
    08-18-2013 09:19 AM
    If you are going to Costa Rica, get a Claro sim. Its like $4 a week for 2 gigs of internet..........and you can tether too. That's what I do when I am in CR.
    I just got back from Costa Rica after spending 9 wonderful days there. I spent $7 for the whole time I was there. Online GPS makes a world of difference, hehe. Anyhow, thank you for the help! Oh, and the 1020 worked great in CR.
    08-21-2013 05:28 PM
    I thought I would add my experience here. I ordered two of the off contract 1020s for my wife and I from the MS store. The first attempt to the call AT&T to unlock was unsuccessful. The representitive said she tried to unlock the phone but it would not work. She sent me to their unlock website, actually she sent me to a bad link, but once I found the correct link that site would not let me request the unlock. I called the AT&T customer support line again and the second rep gave me two unlock codes without any issue.

Now here is the weird part. I'm using Net10 sims and have not yet been prompted to unlock my phone and both phones are working fine with calls, texts, and internet (minus MMS, which I haven't spent a lot of time on yet). I don't understand this, why are they working? Is AT&T giving me some sort of weird grace period?

My wife and I love the phones and Windows Phone 8 so far, especially the camera. It's been a huge improvement from our previous Nexus S devices on Android 4.1.2.
    08-25-2013 01:06 AM
90 1234