Nokia Lumia 1020 from MSFT store & ATT unlocking [My Experience]

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
That's good news. In the other thread, T-mobile users of 1020 were getting ~10Mbps download. I am in San Jose as well. I am debating with myself on the 1020 now seeing your download speeds. 😇

Anders Nielsen

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Happy for you, see What append to me:

Thank you for choosing AT&T International Care a representative will be with you shortly. Please note: Protecting your personal information is one of our highest priorities; hence, you will be required to provide account related information to ensure whom we are working with. Data encryption is also enabled to protect your personal information during this chat session. For more information please go to AT&T Privacy Policy or AT&T Privacy Policy. Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with Louie Aloot.

Louie Aloot: Hello! My name is Louie Aloot and I am an International Care Representative. I’m reading your inquiry and I will be right with you.

Louie Aloot: I understand that you have some concerns with unlocking AT&T Device, is this correct?

anders nielsen: yes

Louie Aloot: I can certainly help you with that.

anders nielsen: tnx

Louie Aloot: No problem. I just need to confirm some information.

Louie Aloot: Did you sent an unlock request through our link, att.com/deviceunlock, is this correct?

anders nielsen: yes and was rejected

anders nielsen: here is receipt for phones

anders nielsen: CUSTOMER NAME: xxx xxx ASSOCIATE NAME: Tomislav DATE PURCHASED: 07/27/2013 ORDER NUMBER: 0000108228 NOKIA LUMIA 1020 AT&T BLACK Product sku: CYF-00133 Price: $699.00 Quantity: 1 NOKIA CAMERA GRIP & EXTRA BATTERY 1020 PD95G WHITE Product sku: dhf-00994 Price: $.00 Quantity: 1 MICROSOFT MS STORE LOGO OPEN DENOM GIFT CARD Product sku: DHF-00664 Price: $50.00 Quantity: 1 NOKIA LUMIA 1020 AT&T BLACK Product sku: CYF-00133 Price: $699.00 Quantity: 1 NOKIA CAMERA GRIP & EXTRA BATTERY 1020 PD95G WHITE Product sku: dhf-00994 Price: $.00 Quantity: 1 MICROSOFT MS STORE LOGO OPEN DENOM GIFT CARD Product sku: DHF-00664 Price: $50.00 Quantity: 1 NOKIA LUMIA 1020 AT&T BLACK Product sku: CYF-00133 Price: $699.00 Quantity: 1 NOKIA CAMERA GRIP & EXTRA BATTERY 1020 PD95G WHITE Product sku: dhf-00994 Price: $.00 Quantity: 1 MICROSOFT MS STORE LOGO OPEN DENOM GIFT CARD Product sku: DHF-00664 Price: $50.00 Quantity: 1 Subtotal: $2,247.00 Tax: $152.58 Total: $2,399.58 AMOUNT PAID: $150.00 METHOD: CExchange AMOUNT PAID: $2,249.58 METHOD: Card payment #Sxxxxxxxxxxxx0788 Auth # 23949D Exp Date **/** Cashier # 620715Ref/Seq # 22211 07/27/2013 16:59:08 See exchange/return info

anders nielsen: 3 phones

anders nielsen: for me and 2 grandsons

Louie Aloot: I'm sorry about that.

Louie Aloot: Just bare with me one moment as I look for some information.

Louie Aloot: Anders, I just need more time. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Louie Aloot: Anders, can you please provide the IMEI numbers of the AT&T Devices that you requested to be unlock?

anders nielsen: xxxxx 3xxx xxx

Louie Aloot: Thank you. I will check this IMEI's if they're eligible to be unlock.

Louie Aloot: Just one moment as we are processing to check each device eligibility. Thank you so much for your patience.

Louie Aloot: Anders, are you still there?

anders nielsen: yes

Louie Aloot: Thank you.

Louie Aloot: I'll be with you in a moment.

anders nielsen: tnx

anders nielsen: if the connection is lost my email is

anders nielsen: anders@telau.dk

Louie Aloot: Already.

anders nielsen: u need faster computers :)

Louie Aloot: I understand. Your patience is really appreciated.

anders nielsen: i prepaid the phones, and xxx xxxr picked them up for me as i left USA before they could be picked up

anders nielsen: i receiveDd them from her today by DHL

Louie Aloot: Anders, when you turned all this devices, do you see an AT&T Logo?

anders nielsen: YES

anders nielsen: MICROSOFT STORE PROMISED THEY WOULD NOT BE LOCKED

Louie Aloot: Unfortunately, as we checked all this devices, it is not eligible to be unlocked.

anders nielsen: why?

anders nielsen: was reading about a peron with same expirience like me, and he got an unlock code by phone

Louie Aloot: Eligible devices must have completed at least 90 days of active service with AT&T.

anders nielsen: we do not have att in Denmark

anders nielsen: and i paid unlocked price

Louie Aloot: I understand. AT&T Devices can be only unlock after you completed at least 90 days of active service. You may want to ask the point of purchase to verify with the amount you have paid.

anders nielsen: i sent receipt to u

Louie Aloot: Anders, again, we apologized for the inconvenience, however your request can not be process.

anders nielsen: ?

anders nielsen: what do i have to do?

Louie Aloot: You may want to get to the point of purchase or to the store you purchased the devices.

anders nielsen: so I have to fly from Europe to USA?

Louie Aloot: You have options to contact the person that sent you the devices and ask the store where you bought those phones.

Louie Aloot: Again, I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Is there anything else I can help you with?

anders nielsen: I will contact mall of america, Microsoft store

anders nielsen: Very bad experience with ATT

Louie Aloot: I apologized.

Louie Aloot: if you need to speak to an International Care Representative you can always chat with us again. You can also send us an email by logging onto your online account at att.com/mywireless >contact us. Or you can reach us by dialing +1-916-843-4685 while you are outside of the country.

Louie Aloot: Thank you for chatting with us. Please click the CLOSE button on the top right corner of this window to exit this chat. Thank you for choosing AT&T.

Thank you for chatting with us. Please click the "Close" button on the top right of the chat window to tell us how we did today.

Last edited:

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear that, Anders :(

1) You might want to edit your post to replace the IMEI numbers with X's or something. This page is subject to being indexed by Google and other search engines and you probably don't want the world to know your info.

2) It's possible that the agents that man the online chat lines have access to different resources than the ones you reach by phone. You might want to try again by calling since most (if not all) of the success stories seem to be unlock codes by phone. If you are worried about international charges, do it via Skype or other voip solution to keep the costs reasonable. Good luck!

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I just received my unlock code for the 920. Will be selling it here soon. I was told by the ATT rep, it would be 90 days until I could unlock the 1020. Luck of the draw, I suppose...

texantony

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Chatted with AT&T customer service and while I was removing and adding features I asked her if she could give me the unlock code for my 1020. I was honest and told her that It would save me some money on my trip to Costa Rica, in a few days, if I could get it unlock so I can use it over there. Well, after a few minutes she gave me the instructions and told me the phone is limited to 5 unlocks per year. She gave me the code and I lived happily ever after. I wont be able to try it until I get there though. Hopefully everything works out.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I got the International plan sales pitch when I brought up travel. I'll try the save me money honesty angle if I need to travel, oddly also to Costa Rica.

Asleeper2

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
If you are going to Costa Rica, get a Claro sim. Its like $4 a week for 2 gigs of internet..........and you can tether too. That's what I do when I am in CR.

kiddori

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I was probably the biggest doubter of this thread as I've never had a good experience with AT&T and never been able to have a phone unlocked through them.

But I like challenges, so I went and bought a 1020 in the local Microsoft Store and after several calls to AT&T, a couple of visits to the Microsoft Store, I can honestly say that my 1020 is now unlocked. Btw, I'm a GoPhone customer. I talked to four people at AT&T. Three of them said NO but the fourth one let me do it. :)

Bottom line: IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHO YOU TALK TO AT AT&T

I have to say that the experience I had at the Microsoft Store is the best retail experience I've ever had. They were phenomenal. :)

Good luck!

Liselottedwt

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Just got mine from MS Store. Bought off-contract. Had to call ATT twice to get it unlock. The first call took me 10 mins. The guy ultimately told me to go to att.com/deviceunlock to get it unlock. Ain't got no time for that. I called again and spoke to a lady. Took 3 mins to get the unlock code. She just asked me the IMEI # and 10 secs later, she gave me the unlock code. I got the yellow, free cam grip (not in yellow though :( ), $50 gift card, and $10 gift for apps.

kiddori

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I got the camera grip and matching AT&T price, but no gift cards or credits....although I didn't ask for it. After everything that the MS employees did for me, I couldn't bare to ask for more. However, they seem willing to negotiate so I'm not surprised that some people got more goodies.

hierophanta

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
i bought it at the microsoft store in chicago - they matched AT&T at 660 with camera grip and $10 app voucher. Called AT&T three times, first lady said i much have service for 90 days. Called back, same lady so i hung up. Third try, she gave me the unlock code. I told her i bought the phone specifically for vacations and taking photos and that i needed it unlocked for an upcomming trip. I was clear that i bought the phone that same day. She was a sweetheart.

I am now using the Nokia 1020 / 909 on T Mobile and have LTE and life is good. My reception is 100 times better than the previous phone such that is almost unbelievable. I am a very very happy guy.

Bottom line: if you know how to be nice on the phone with the customer reps they might just unlock the phone for you.

francescos

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Hello guys, bought mine 3 days ago at Microsoft Store in Houston without contract (paid 699). I'm not living in US and I'm leaving the country in a couple of days. Can someone here help me to unlock the phone if I provide the Imei code? My problem is that I can't find a way to chat or phone with an ATT rep, because I'm not a subscriber.

ibouchez

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Just buy the unlock code from ebay. it's less than $4 and totally worth not having to deal with AT&T CS. I've bought codes now 3 times (all for Lumia 920 to use on T-mobile) and they worked perfectly. I just did a quick search and there's a few sellers already offering codes for 1020's.

1020 unlock | eBay

For those switching the devices to use on Tmobile, device works perfect, the only thing you need to do is edit the MMS APN and point it to the T-mobile server. Everything else works perfectly (full bars on LTE) .

coteganut

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
francescos -- just call ATT customer service number while you're still in the country. Just be courteous and tell them the following (That's what I told them when I had my phone unlocked):

- you were told by other ATT rep that the phone can be ulnocked before purchasing the phone
- you paid for the phone in full already off contract
- you do not have an account with ATT
- you'll be traveling to other countries
- don't be rude or angry on the phone

That's it, and the rep should ask you for your IMEI number and will say oh it can be unlocked, and he/she will try to get the code from another person while put you on hold. If you don't get the code, either the rep is lying, lazy or just uninformed. Try calling again later or chat with a rep online.

thetroublewith

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Interesting news, thanks for sharing everyone!

I'm from the UK but will be going to New York early next month. It'd be quite a lot cheaper to buy the phone in the States - just wondering, if anything was wrong with my phone, would I be able to send it back to Nokia in the UK or would it be a US-only warranty?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss