Nokia Lumia 1020 from MSFT store & ATT unlocking [My Experience]

kop48

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Well, after a few minutes she gave me the instructions and told me the phone is limited to 5 unlocks per year.

Firstly, just get a T-Mobile SIM to kick off the unlock so that you don't have to wait until you're overseas to find out if it works.

Secondly, the '5 unlocks' refers not to the amount of times you can unlock the phone, but rather the number of tries you get to input the right unlock code.

I also used AT&T's online chat support (purchased my phone outright from a retail Microsoft Store) and they gave me my code.

Anders Homann

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Although i'll try At & t unlocking it's nice with a backup plan. Is unlockitnow legit and has anyone used it before? I am a dane currently in the states and the savings along with getting one now and not in a couple months is really appealing.
Also as far as I can read on the specs this does work on danish/european networks. Am I correct or mistaken? :)

topdogg317

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to see for myself if this works with my recently purchased 1020. So I called AT&T this evening and the service rep directed me to their unlock request website, basically telling me that I can just go to this site and put in a request for the unlock code, I was a little skeptical because that just seemed to easy. I go to this site and put in my information but I got the message "this phone cannot be unlocked at this time" or something to that effect....So I call AT&T back, got a different service rep, again explained to him why I needed the code, this rep was completely different than the previous one I encountered. He basically just had to check my information, make sure the phone had not been reported lost or stolen, check to see if I had an outstanding bill since AT&T is my carrier, after about 5 minutes, everything checked out and he asked me if I had a pen available to write down the code, or he could send it to me via text message! Got the code and tested it out using a sim card I had from Europe, and it worked! So, like I read in previous comments, I guess it depends on who you talk to at AT&T!

trooters

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
For those who unlock and use with T-Mobile, are you able to get Internet Sharing & MMS to work? Or do you end up with problems similar to the 920?

treetownal

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting an unlocked version from Negri that arrives tomorrow This may be a stupid question, but what do I do next? Can I drop in thesim card used in the 8x I have (it didn't have LTE) or do I go into a T mo store for a new sim card?

Nik Kunkel

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
MMS is not an issue. Just need to change your apn settings to those of tmobile.
Or you can install the access point app and then leave your apn settings blank.

fon_rain

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your experience with us, tarpido!

I purchased my Nokia Lumia 1020 from Microsoft Store without a contract (full price), and had to call AT&T for unlock code (couldn't use online chat because I don't have AT&T number).

1st call : The rep said that I have to go through att.com/deviceunlock

2nd call : The rep (different person) said the same thing. I told the rep that I tried, but att.com/deviceunlock requires "copy of your original receipt" via FAX, which I don't have. The rep then basically said, "sorry can't help ya" and advised me to use paid fax service.

Ok. Fax service it is. Went to att.com/deviceunlock, selected "Non-Customer OR Paid No-Commitment Price", entered information and it said "Currently, this device cannot be unlocked". Oh. Fantastic.

3rd call : The rep (different person) said happy to help and asked for 1. IMEI 2. When I bought it 3. Where I bought it from. After a few minutes of checking, I was given the unlock code!! :smile:

So, I have to agree with others. It depends on who you get on the phone.

Be patient and good luck everyone!

texantony

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
If you are going to Costa Rica, get a Claro sim. Its like $4 a week for 2 gigs of internet..........and you can tether too. That's what I do when I am in CR.
I just got back from Costa Rica after spending 9 wonderful days there. I spent $7 for the whole time I was there. Online GPS makes a world of difference, hehe. Anyhow, thank you for the help! Oh, and the 1020 worked great in CR.

Orcus

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I thought I would add my experience here. I ordered two of the off contract 1020s for my wife and I from the MS store. The first attempt to the call AT&T to unlock was unsuccessful. The representitive said she tried to unlock the phone but it would not work. She sent me to their unlock website, actually she sent me to a bad link, but once I found the correct link that site would not let me request the unlock. I called the AT&T customer support line again and the second rep gave me two unlock codes without any issue.

Now here is the weird part. I'm using Net10 sims and have not yet been prompted to unlock my phone and both phones are working fine with calls, texts, and internet (minus MMS, which I haven't spent a lot of time on yet). I don't understand this, why are they working? Is AT&T giving me some sort of weird grace period?

My wife and I love the phones and Windows Phone 8 so far, especially the camera. It's been a huge improvement from our previous Nexus S devices on Android 4.1.2.

Orcus

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
So would you recommend I pop my still working T-Mobile sim in these phones to unlock them, just in case I decide to go somewhere else in the future?

Kim Herrick

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I purchased a 1020 under the impression that att could unlock it for me, after 6 attempts on the phone with them this am, getting forwarded and cut off over 8 times,:cry: 2 hrs later, they said they could not unlock it!

Glavata

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I just got an unlock code for mine on the 1st try over the phone. Stated that I have bought the phone for the Microsoft Store at full price, that they let me know it would be unlocked by calling AT&T (which they did), and that I will be traveling abroad. Just be nice and hopefully you can get someone who is willing to help on the other line.

PS. The rep. had to put me on hold to contact Tech Support on a higher level to get the code, but she was able to get it for me.

tomiomni

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I am currently living outside the US and overhere they are offering unlocked 1020 AT&T devices. Is there a way to check online if this is a genuine unlock, or are there till date no other options to unlock which might get lost in a future update? SIM Card is working.

Thanks, Tom

madogmoody

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I AM NOT A ATT CUSTOMER!!!
Just got my 1020 through Microsoft and called ATT at their tech support number
1-800-331-0500 reached an extremely helpful agent who got me an unlock code within 3 minutes :)
Phone is awesome with T-mobile Blazing Fast LTE!

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Seems like a crap shoot for getting the unlock code. I called the 1-800-331-0500, pressed 1 (since I am not an AT&T customer), then 0 if I remember correctly. I explained to the lady that I paid full price for the phone and she gave me the lock code right away. I wasn't transferred to anybody. Guess I got lucky.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa