1020 Battery Issues

Graphic_Delusions

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I've come home from work today and I only have 2 hours of battery left.

I have used the Battery Sense app to monitor today's progress.

Lumia 1020 Battery Test.jpg

Can someone have a look at this and tell me if this is normal? I have only used Facebook, Twitter, and Whatsapp on & off throughout the day using mobile internet.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
That looks kind of harsh. But it could be normal if "on & off throughout the day" for you adds up to a substantial amount of time. You should try to use wi-fi instead as much as possible, and make sure none of the apps you're running are draining the battery unnecessarily. Other folks around here have said that Whatsapp is a battery hog, but I've never used it. In general, you may need to completely exit apps (usually by repeatedly slamming the back button until they finally die), disallow background tasks as much as possible, and set various settings conservatively in order to get better battery life.

The attached graph shows my current test run which has the aim of studying the impact of "double tap to wake". After just over 2 days with this setting disabled the battery is at 52%. I'm guessing I'll end up at a comfortable 3 to 3.5 days before needing to recharge, as opposed to my usual 2 to 2.5 days, but I won't know for sure until tomorrow. I would also describe my usage as "on & off throughout the day" but much more off than on. Mostly just briefly checking email maybe 10-20 times a day, a few minutes of mobile web browsing a day, and 2 or 3 pictures taken+shared.

Attachments

• battery4.png
    battery4.png
    58.9 KB · Views: 1

Graphic_Delusions

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
That looks kind of harsh. But it could be normal if "on & off throughout the day" for you adds up to a substantial amount of time. You should try to use wi-fi instead as much as possible, and make sure none of the apps you're running are draining the battery unnecessarily. Other folks around here have said that Whatsapp is a battery hog, but I've never used it. In general, you may need to completely exit apps (usually by repeatedly slamming the back button until they finally die), disallow background tasks as much as possible, and set various settings conservatively in order to get better battery life.

The attached graph shows my current test run which has the aim of studying the impact of "double tap to wake". After just over 2 days with this setting disabled the battery is at 52%. I'm guessing I'll end up at a comfortable 3 to 3.5 days before needing to recharge, as opposed to my usual 2 to 2.5 days, but I won't know for sure until tomorrow. I would also describe my usage as "on & off throughout the day" but much more off than on. Mostly just briefly checking email maybe 10-20 times a day, a few minutes of mobile web browsing a day, and 2 or 3 pictures taken+shared.

Thanks for your reply. Comparing both your graph to mine would say that I have a defective battery.

Unfortunately there is no Wi-Fi at my work place so I can only use my mobile internet connection. I'm going to monitor the battery tomorrow with whatsapp completely turned off and see if that makes a difference.

Also, another question, I have linked my facebook & twitter details to the 'People' app - could that be another culprit?

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
It sounds way too early to conclude that you have a defective battery. My latest results are probably not too far off from the best case scenario for actually using the phone in a light but realistic way (no airplane mode or other extreme tactics). You should definitely see how long your battery can last without having any apps running that might be sucking power. It might also be good to try leaving it in airplane mode overnight if you can and see how the battery consumption changes. With all communication cut off the phone should consume very little battery as long as it's working properly and no app is doing something very stupid like constantly retrying communications.

As for linking your Facebook and Twitter accounts to the People hub, I'd say that's probably safe. I've always had Facebook linked with no obvious problems, but I haven't tried linking Twitter. It's definitely a good idea to confirm it on your phone though.

Graphic_Delusions

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
It sounds way too early to conclude that you have a defective battery. My latest results are probably not too far off from the best case scenario for actually using the phone in a light but realistic way (no airplane mode or other extreme tactics). You should definitely see how long your battery can last without having any apps running that might be sucking power. It might also be good to try leaving it in airplane mode overnight if you can and see how the battery consumption changes. With all communication cut off the phone should consume very little battery as long as it's working properly and no app is doing something very stupid like constantly retrying communications.

As for linking your Facebook and Twitter accounts to the People hub, I'd say that's probably safe. I've always had Facebook linked with no obvious problems, but I haven't tried linking Twitter. It's definitely a good idea to confirm it on your phone though.

So far today I have seen an improvement.

I have switched off everything in the background including mobile network connection. I have removed the Facebook & Twitter feed off my 'People' hub and blocked Whatsapp from connecting.

It's been over an hour off charge and it says 100% battery charge - 4 days & 13 hours left. I have never even got above 11 hours of charge remaining before so it's looking good!

*EDIT* - It's been just over 2 hours 20 mins and the charge has now dropped to 11 hours 48 minutes. All I've done is txt people a few times and open the Battery Sense app.

Last edited:

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Again, you can't trust the estimate, especially while the level of charge is still at or near 100%. I've had it tell me 22 days at 100% before. Actual battery life ended up being about 2.5 to 3 days. If you get the battery down to at least 75% or so and have maintained a fairly stable usage pattern, and expect to continue that pattern throughout the remainder of the charge, then you can start believing the estimate more. Even then it may take several charge cycles before it starts getting reasonably accurate.

What you should be looking for to measure battery performance is the actual time lasted on battery between charges, and what you did with the phone during that time.

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know whether there's a list of "problem" apps that would drain battery? I've been reading a lot of articles and seems like some system apps cause issues, as well as apps that still run in the background even tho they're closed (like IE, or some games)...but it's so hard to figure out which ones cause battery drain...

It'd be nice if there's a list of all the problem apps so ppl know what not to download...

Last edited:

Graphic_Delusions

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I received my replacement 1020 today and the battery is sooooooo much better than the last one. I definitely think that one was defective.

I have everything turned on without any compromises, heavily using apps, and still getting decent battery life. Even with 50% battery left it says I have over a day's worth of charge left.

Very happy now.

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
What is your discharge rate averaging at per hour? I'm seriously contemplating swamping mine since it seems to always float around the 10%/hr rate...whereas ppl are getting 5% or even like tgr42, getting like 1-2%/hr...

anon(8125585)

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
What a difference a phone (new) makes.

Decided to swap my phone (new batch delivered to Vodafone) and it has worked.

Before swap >9% drain idle & 10 hrs battery life whilst doing nothing. :angry:

After update <2% drain idle; over-night it only dropped 12% with wifi, data, email & social media updates. :excited:

The only other thing I did differently with this phone was to charge it first when I brought it home instead of using it until it went dead and then charging it. I think I just had a lemon. Happy snapping.

jussisolja

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I've been experiencing the drain as well (barely getting through the day with my 1020 + serious overheating when simply browsing or doing normal smartphone stuff like tweeting etc).

This however only happens when I'm using the phone on a mobile data. When I switch mobile data off and just use wifi (same 3 email accounts syncing + skype etc) the battery life triples! When I have the phone idle with syncing and on wifi the drain is 0.3%/hour! Woth mobile data switched on the drain is closer to 10 when idle!

So in my case it seems the mobile data connection is to blame. Don't know what to do with other than replace my device but hope this helps someone out there :) It's worth a try anyway.

Daniel Pa

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Two days ago, when I bought Nokia Lumia 1020 and charged it till maximum 100%, the app Battery was showing 1 day and 13 hours of remaining battery. But yesterday when I plugged for a recharge it charged very quickly and whole phone became very hot. After that the battery discharged for more than 50% when I was sleeping and not using the phone (look at the photo that I attached).

I disabled all apps from working while backgrounded. But still now the app Battery shows only 13 hours remaining when I recharge my Lumia's battery till maximum.

For example, today when I was listening to music on Nokia MixRadio app my phone discharged for 30% during one hour...

I'm really dissatisfied with phone's battery performance. Maybe this is some kind of hardware malfunction? Because it's insane if battery discharges for 50% during the night...

Can you help me to solve this problem?
wp_ss_20131123_0002.jpg

I applied almost all suggestions that I've found on this forum today. Will check if something changes.

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Two days ago, when I bought Nokia Lumia 1020 and charged it till maximum 100%, the app Battery was showing 1 day and 13 hours of remaining battery. But yesterday when I plugged for a recharge it charged very quickly and whole phone became very hot. After that the battery discharged for more than 50% when I was sleeping and not using the phone (look at the photo that I attached).

I disabled all apps from working while backgrounded. But still now the app Battery shows only 13 hours remaining when I recharge my Lumia's battery till maximum.

For example, today when I was listening to music on Nokia MixRadio app my phone discharged for 30% during one hour...

I'm really dissatisfied with phone's battery performance. Maybe this is some kind of hardware malfunction? Because it's insane if battery discharges for 50% during the night...

Can you help me to solve this problem?
View attachment 50454

I applied almost all suggestions that I've found on this forum today. Will check if something changes.

kill the phone battery and charge it full and do the same for next four days. And your battery will improve in next 20 days as mine did.

Now I am able to watch videos for 10 hours. Last teated yesterday .

Battery from 28 to 0 for whole troy film

Sent from my RM-875_im_india_230 using Tapatalk

Lisa Wolter

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi!
I think that it's actually the "indicator" in the 1020 that's the problem.
I have the same problem.
But, when I turn off the phone and turn it on again, I get 100% battery left.
Weird!
:love:
Lisa

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
kill the phone battery and charge it full and do the same for next four days. And your battery will improve in next 20 days as mine did.

Now I am able to watch videos for 10 hours. Last teated yesterday .

Battery from 28 to 0 for whole troy film

Sent from my RM-875_im_india_230 using Tapatalk

I will try that also. One question, why after 20 days?

and thanks for the tip!!!

fieldbaker

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Here is my experience with the 1020 and the battery: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1020/246740-discharge-rate.html

I ended up returning mine because the battery problems were terrible. I won another 1020 from a Nokia competition and this one is like a different phone. If you are experiencing horrible battery life, return it. My first 1020 barely lasted a day. My new one lasted 3 days on my last charge, with light/average use.

Though.. When i use WhatsApp, Store or some other apps.. The draining begins. So i try to avoid WhatsApp and several other apps.

My new 1020 idles around 1,5%/hour with live-tiles and glance peek on. My first one idled around 5% with no sim-card and everything turned off.

Don't hesitate to exchange yours if the battery is poor.

Oh and all the tips about draining your battery dry and let it die, then recharge it. It didn't make any difference. Just return the phone and get another one.

wp_ss_20140120_0001.jpg

Ma1dere

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Don't hesitate to exchange yours if the battery is poor.

Oh and all the tips about draining your battery dry and let it die, then recharge it. It didn't make any difference. Just return the phone and get another one.

For example, in Russia we dont have an official Nokia Care service center and Nokia is working with a 3rd party company. I know a lot of people who recieved a "works 8 hours with everything off, battery is ok" answer from this company in regard 1020 issues.
On topic, I have something between your 1st phone and 2nd one. Charging it every day, tho I'm using it a lot.
And dont let your phone die EVER. it's bad for the Li-ion battery.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss