1020 Battery Issues

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Make sure you don't leave any apps or browser tabs open. If you've done that, and all the steps you described, there's probably something wrong with your OS environment or hardware. You might want to also check your battery drain in airplane mode to see if the cellular radio is the cause of your battery drain.

10-12 hours standby is definitely not normal. With light use I get over 3 days. I've attached my current battery graph (from "Battery Sense" by Vasan). This discharge cycle includes some usage every day including 4 pictures taken with Pro Cam. I have most things disabled except for double tap to wake, and screen is on auto brightness. I use Weather Wallpaper and have two email accounts set to sync every 15 minutes. I'm always signed into Skype with its live tile and notifications, plus I have a couple of other live tiles that update. Wi-fi is set to be always connected, and an LTE signal is always present. Most of the time I have a strong wi-fi signal and a weak LTE signal.

Attachments

• battery3.png
    battery3.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 12

chocka

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, I have just got Lumia 1020 for about 5 days, my battery only last about 10-12 hours standby only
from a fully charge about 2 hours. Try to improve the battery, I don't use and turn off to test almost
of everything I could think of, wifi, nfc, bluetooth, double tap to wake, disable background task,
no live tile, soft reset, hard reset, low on screen, xbox game off, xbox music video off, no vibrate,
fight mode, power saving, etc all the stuff people suggest.
My question, is it normal 10-12 hours standby only from a fully charge?
Or am I still miss some setting?
Or I got a bad battery should return the unit?
I love the phone, quality build, great experience,
smooth, no hang, everything great, only the battery
Please advice me, Thanks in advance

This is not normal. What is email sync setting? I think there is a weird bug when sync setting is set to download as the message arrive. It drained my battery in 12 hrs. I then changed it to 15 mins. I got 36 hours with this setting. I then changed it again back to download as the message arrive. I don't see battery drain this time.

chocka

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I have everything on except blue tooth and i get 60 to 70 left at the end of the day. Only weather and whatsapp running in the background. I turned on Bluetooth also yesterday and last night it was 50% left at the end of the day. I was playing songs over Bluetooth in my car. Occasionally i have this heating up issue and i restart the phone. Nokia gps apps drain the battery very fast

ANDYS01

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
This is not normal. What is email sync setting? I think there is a weird bug when sync setting is set to download as the message arrive. It drained my battery in 12 hrs. I then changed it to 15 mins. I got 36 hours with this setting. I then changed it again back to download as the message arrive. I don't see battery drain this time.

Hi Chocka, Thanks for the reply
Currently it is in brand new status, only 3 people in my contact import from sim, nothing else is setup,
all the app has not setup yet, No hotmail gmail, if I still have to disable mail sync setting, could you please guide me where should I go? And how long does it take you to 1 full charge, 2 hours for me is it normal?
Thanks again for the reply

Last edited:

ANDYS01

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Make sure you don't leave any apps or browser tabs open. If you've done that, and all the steps you described, there's probably something wrong with your OS environment or hardware. You might want to also check your battery drain in airplane mode to see if the cellular radio is the cause of your battery drain.

10-12 hours standby is definitely not normal. With light use I get over 3 days. I've attached my current battery graph (from "Battery Sense" by Vasan). This discharge cycle includes some usage every day including 4 pictures taken with Pro Cam. I have most things disabled except for double tap to wake, and screen is on auto brightness. I use Weather Wallpaper and have two email accounts set to sync every 15 minutes. I'm always signed into Skype with its live tile and notifications, plus I have a couple of other live tiles that update. Wi-fi is set to be always connected, and an LTE signal is always present. Most of the time I have a strong wi-fi signal and a weak LTE signal.

Hi TGR42, thanks for the reply
I have tried switch to fight mode, seems no improvement on the battery,
it still drained the battery within the same time.
I did make sure exit out properly and disable the background task.
If it is OS environment, what else do you think is drain the battery?
If it is bad battery, I am going to return it tomorrow!
Thanks for your reply again!

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like it could be some bad hardware. There is one other possibility I remembered. There's a possible bug where if you disable location services in the settings, and some app wants to use location but gets denied, it may cause excessive battery drain - even if the app is not running. For some reason practically every app wants to access your location, which is really annoying. Anyway, supposedly this can be resolved by enabling location, then entering each app that wants to use location and exiting it. In general I don't recommend disabling location because of this bug. (I originally learned of this bug from someone else on this forum and my own experience seemed to back it up, but it's a hard one to pin down so I'm not 100% sure.)

By the way, I don't recommend disabling wi-fi unless you're going to be away from a usable wi-fi network for a long time. But if you left your phone in flight mode for at least a couple of hours and still got the excessive battery drain, that should rule out communication with the outside world as being the cause of the problem.

chocka

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi Chocka, Thanks for the reply
Currently it is in brand new status, only 3 people in my contact import from sim, nothing else is setup,
all the app has not setup yet, No hotmail gmail, if I still have to disable mail sync setting, could you please guide me where should I go? And how long does it take you to 1 full charge, 2 hours for me is it normal?
Thanks again for the reply
If you don't have any email account setup, then it might be something else.
I haven't timed my charging. I think it is close to 2 hrs. From what you say, it may be something is wrong with your phone. Return or exchange it while it is possible.

ANDYS01

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like it could be some bad hardware. There is one other possibility I remembered. There's a possible bug where if you disable location services in the settings, and some app wants to use location but gets denied, it may cause excessive battery drain - even if the app is not running. For some reason practically every app wants to access your location, which is really annoying. Anyway, supposedly this can be resolved by enabling location, then entering each app that wants to use location and exiting it. In general I don't recommend disabling location because of this bug. (I originally learned of this bug from someone else on this forum and my own experience seemed to back it up, but it's a hard one to pin down so I'm not 100% sure.)

By the way, I don't recommend disabling wi-fi unless you're going to be away from a usable wi-fi network for a long time. But if you left your phone in flight mode for at least a couple of hours and still got the excessive battery drain, that should rule out communication with the outside world as being the cause of the problem.

Hi TGR42, thanks for the reply
I think I have tried everything I could, I just want to make sure I have done what I can do before go back to the shop.
Going back to the shop tomorrow, hopefully they let me exchange for this issue.
Good luck to myself. Thanks for the help!
If I get a brand new one, any suggest for the first charge?
Drain first then charge for 12 hours like old days?
Or charge straight the way for 12 hours without drain the battery?
Or drain it and charge until it shows 100%?
Thanks again

Last edited:

ANDYS01

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
If you don't have any email account setup, then it might be something else.
I haven't timed my charging. I think it is close to 2 hrs. From what you say, it may be something is wrong with your phone. Return or exchange it while it is possible.

Hi Chocka, Thanks for your help, I think I will get it exchange tomorrow
Hopefully the next one is a super great one.
Thanks again

Last edited:

chocka

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi Chocka, Thanks for your help, I think I will get it exchange tomorrow
Hopefully the next one is a super great one.
Thanks again

Charge it 100% and start using it. That is what i did. I was told that lithium ion batteries should not be drained completely very often

ANDYS01

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, just to share my exchanged Lumia 1020 battery perfomance
After first fully charge, until now its 2 days and still 67% left says 4 days left.
So happy now, hopefully my wife and friend going to get a good condition one as well.
Thanks for everyone's help

lostlogik

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I was initially having a discharge rate of anywhere between 10-20%/hr. Seriously wasn't happy so pocked around a bit and realised I don't live in a 4G area, so switched phone to 3G max. Last night battery discharged at 2%/hr so now a happy camper.
Seems signal/reception might have a lot to do with battery life, if you can't attribute the problem to a specific app.

peteruk11

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Got my phone last Friday and I like it but I am worried to use it as it seems to drain battery really quickly.

Since I've got it, I have let it drain to completely dead and recharge and 2/3 more times when it was just under 10%. I did a soft reset about an hour ago.

The problem I have is that it barely lasts a day. When it is idle, it hovers between 2-5%. The issue is whenever I do something like Internet Explorer, look at my photos or load up Whatsapp, Twitter etc - it shoots up to 15-40% drain per hour.

This is how my phone is setup-
- Network set to 3G
- Brightness set to low
- Glance is off
- One email account set to check every 2 hours
- Background tasks are now only Whatsapp & Battery
- Bluetooth Off
- Wifi On
- Location On
- Xbox Live Off
- Xbox Music Off

Now my friends who have 920s or 925s don't suffer as much drain as I do. Is there anything I can do to stop it draining so much whenever I want to do something on the phone or is there something wrong with my phone? I've turned literally everything off or low to prolong the battery as well.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
It's normal and expected for the in-use battery drain to be significantly higher than the idle battery drain. I would say there's something seriously wrong if that wasn't the case. If you're actively using the phone, you have the display on (even on low brightness that uses a lot compared to being off) and the CPU can't remain in its resting state nearly as much as when the phone is idle.

That said, your idle consumption sounds high to me. I've been getting about 1 to 1.5% per hour. My settings are similar to yours except I use LTE, auto brightness (irrelevant for idle anyway), 2 email accounts set to check every 15 minutes, and double tap to wake.

peteruk11

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi tgr42,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand that using the phone rather than letting it run idle would use more CPU power but it seems that anything I do on it uses a lot and the battery run downs rather quickly. For example, web browsing with 1 tab earlier on 3G said I was using a drain of 29% per hour, that equates to just under 4 hours of phone usage. I just feel that whatever I do on the device really truly destroy the battery thus making me not want to do anything on it to make it last.

I did do a soft reset yesterday morning after I charged to 100% and the phone stayed at 100% until around 10:45 (phone taken off charge at 8am) and it stayed around 1-3% idle but whenever I do anything on it, it really drains it. Is this the same for everybody? I thought WP8 was efficient on battery and only using a low speed (compared to other phones) dual-core processor meant it used less battery?!

The battery is getting better the more charges it gets but I am rather worried that the phone cannot do the tasks its meant to do without running the battery down.

Nevertheless, I keep my hopes up.

Thanks

Edit - forgot to mention that I ran with flight mode overnight, it used 10%.

Last edited:

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I did do a soft reset yesterday morning after I charged to 100% and the phone stayed at 100% until around 10:45 (phone taken off charge at 8am) and it stayed around 1-3% idle but whenever I do anything on it, it really drains it. Is this the same for everybody? I thought WP8 was efficient on battery and only using a low speed (compared to other phones) dual-core processor meant it used less battery?!

The battery is getting better the more charges it gets but I am rather worried that the phone cannot do the tasks its meant to do without running the battery down.

Edit - forgot to mention that I ran with flight mode overnight, it used 10%.

Battery consumption and efficiency is based on many factors. The 1020's CPU is not really clocked much lower than many other phones, and just because it's dual core doesn't mean it's going to use less power than a quad core CPU. Also, don't underestimate the display. The 1020's large AMOLED display is probably dwarfing the CPU in power consumption during many usage scenarios, even if you set the brightness to the minimum.

There seems to be a common claim among WP fans that WP does more with less. When I had my Focus S (WP7) I would've agreed with that, but it doesn't seem to be the case with the 1020. I feel like the Nexus 4 stands up to heavy usage a lot better than the 1020, but it's just an impression and I haven't done any serious testing.

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Especially the display seems to use a lot energy, right. When I'm reading late in bed, where Auto Brightness is very low I can see it drain much less power than during the day, where the screen is always pretty bright.

chocka

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Battery consumption and efficiency is based on many factors. The 1020's CPU is not really clocked much lower than many other phones, and just because it's dual core doesn't mean it's going to use less power than a quad core CPU. Also, don't underestimate the display. The 1020's large AMOLED display is probably dwarfing the CPU in power consumption during many usage scenarios, even if you set the brightness to the minimum.

There seems to be a common claim among WP fans that WP does more with less. When I had my Focus S (WP7) I would've agreed with that, but it doesn't seem to be the case with the 1020. I feel like the Nexus 4 stands up to heavy usage a lot better than the 1020, but it's just an impression and I haven't done any serious testing.
WP8 is smooth compared to android. But I think the explorer has issues with certain web pages. It might be particular modules(like javascript) that is not handled well by the browser and I can feel the phone heating up when browsing certain websites. One example is this site. The IE keeps loading this website forever. I hope IE11 cleans up all these issues.

Graphic_Delusions

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm like on my 4th or 5th charge and at 100% it says I have 11 hours of batter left. If I turn on battery saver mode on all the time it adds an extra hour (so that's 12 hours).
Is this normal?

On the GSM Arena review they state:
gsmarena_002.jpg

I'm getting half of that. Is this the same for you?
I haven't done a soft reset yet, will that improve battery life?

I only have Whatsapp running in the back ground, I have the screen brightness set to low, Xbox turned off, double tap off, glance set to peek. Wi-Fi / internet switched on when needed, network set to 3G etc...

Right now the phone has has been off charge for 1hr 30mins and it's still at 100% charge (11hours battery time left).
It's only when I switch on the internet and use apps like Facebook & Twitter that the batter drains quickly.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
First of all, the phone's estimate of remaining battery time is just an estimate. It will be wildly inaccurate at times. You should judge the battery by its actual performance - how long are you able to go before having to recharge, and what did you do with the phone during that time?

Second, when you take the phone off the charger, it will often stay stuck at 100% for a long time - I've seen it do it for up to 4 hours or more. This doesn't mean your phone is consuming zero battery during that time. It just means the phone is not reporting the battery level correctly during that time. You can't get a valid sense of battery consumption while the reported level is stuck at one value.

Regarding wi-fi: unless you're going to be away from a good wi-fi signal for a while, leave wi-fi enabled. It will help your battery life significantly. It takes much less energy to communicate via wi-fi than via cellular. Setting the phone to stay connected to wi-fi all the time is very helpful to battery life. The only better state to be in is airplane mode with all communication with the outside world cut off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99