Rubbish SIM tray and connectors likely to break!

OliverK

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I was so close to accidentally breaking my 1020 yesterday.

I took the SIM card out to swap it and put the tray in the wrong way round... and it got caught on the sim connector pins.

VERY LUCKILY it didn't snap and I managed to lever it out but one of the pins was bent backwards.

So I pushed the SIM in the right way and it went back into position. I pulled it out again to check and it was fine.

BUT I already had this problem with my first 920 which I had to have replaced because the SIM card tray got caught.

I am very disappointed in the fact there is no guidance about correct way to insert the tray and it isn't obvious either.

No I do not dare try and take out the SIM again or I will risk damage to a US phone that I can't fix which would be terrible!

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
it is pretty obvious in which direction to put in dude. The wrong way in you can feel the resistance immediately. Of course, you can say you are used to just force things in the way you like.

OliverK

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I disagree totally. Both sides have a hole so you can't tell which way is which.

I don't force it all the way in either. I will slide it until I can feel the resistance and that is when it has bent the pin.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Well I dont know what to say really. I have N9, 800 and Lumia 920 that I switch my SIM's around every week and never had this problem. Like said, it's pretty obvious what way the SIM goes in and if you by some reason put it the wrong way around, you feel resistance.

Usually when you force things in, you break them...

OliverK

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
The 1020 makes it really hard to tell, on the 920 you can tell which side is meant to be inside. I had an issue with my 920 mainly because of microsim adaptors getting caught.

But on the 1020 both sides look the same.... its not obvious. Go look in a store and see for yourself what I mean.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
On the 1020 the easy way to tell which side to slide it in is to match the hole on the tray with the microphone hole on the top, they are both the equal distance from the headphone jack.

OliverK

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Any SIM tray that requires you to look and check which way it goes in is an epic fail.

My main issues lies with the micro SIM adaptors catching the pins when put it the wrong way... that doesn't happen with a correct size SIM and for me that's bad customer service.

I didn't break my 1020 but I am not even going to consider swapping my SIM again until its available in the UK.

I guess that's the biggest issue here. If I bought it fem ATT and a few days later broke the SIM connectors they wouldn't be any the wiser and would swap it as faulty but I can't do that. Even when it is out here I'm sure it won't be covered by a Europe warranty as its a US phone so that's anther negative.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3