Battery tests on Nokia Limia 920, 925, 928 and 1020

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
What do you think of the screen? I never had one of the WP7 devices, I was a Apple ******.

I love it! It's the first smartphone I've owned that I've been able to use outside in bright sunlight without cupping my hand over it to shade it from the sun. I definitely want AMOLED screen on my next device.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I recently went from the 900 to the 920. The first thing I noticed is that the LCD looked a bit washed out compared to the AMOLED screen. I will say I prefer to run the phones at low brightness and use auto brightness. I think the Auto on the 920 is much smarter and thus easier to read in the bright light than it was on my 900. My 900 has a great screen, and I love the blacks, but after using the 920, the AMOLED does seem a bit over saturated which I don't mind I suppose. I 'm curious if the 1020 brings that down a knotch and if the 768p screen helps that as well. With the screen adjustment coming to my 920 with GDR2, I wonder if I can dial in the deaper blacks and a bit more robust colors.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
That's a continuation of what they did on the 900, only better.

by the way, if i'm understanding your comment right, that's not just a nokia thing, it's an amoled thing. amoled's naturally have deep blacks. that's because the pixels are turned off and the surrounding pixels with color are on. that's why there's some form on ghosting in amoled displays when it comes to letters or browsing. the amoled display has to turn on those pixels that were turned off (or black) and there's a very small delay during the turn on and that causes the ghosting that everyone talks about with amoleds. the same thing happens on my galaxy s4. samsung has improved their amoled displays to try to get rid of this or make it not as noticeable, but by nature of the technology, there will always be some kind of ghosting going on that you will be able to see. luckily this ghosting has no effect when you're watching a video. it is only when you use your finger to scroll the screen.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
by the way, if i'm understanding your comment right, that's not just a nokia thing, it's an amoled thing. amoled's naturally have deep blacks. that's because the pixels are turned off and the surrounding pixels with color are on. that's why there's some form on ghosting in amoled displays when it comes to letters or browsing. the amoled display has to turn on those pixels that were turned off (or black) and there's a very small delay during the turn on and that causes the ghosting that everyone talks about with amoleds. the same thing happens on my galaxy s4. samsung has improved their amoled displays to try to get rid of this or make it not as noticeable, but by nature of the technology, there will always be some kind of ghosting going on that you will be able to see. luckily this ghosting has no effect when you're watching a video. it is only when you use your finger to scroll the screen.
You are correct.

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I hate to be the one making obligatory battery c omplaints as soon as they get a device (actually, I have had mine for 12 days now) but the 1020 battery so far has been horrible. Even when not using, the battery drains like 10-20% per hour. Not sure what is causing the issues. Have identical apps to my 920 which drained around 3% per hour unused...

Also

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I hate to be the one making obligatory battery c omplaints as soon as they get a device (actually, I have had mine for 12 days now) but the 1020 battery so far has been horrible. Even when not using, the battery drains like 10-20% per hour. Not sure what is causing the issues. Have identical apps to my 920 which drained around 3% per hour unused...

Also

Did the Battery die mid sentence? :p

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site

Also

Mine lasts exactly as long as my Lumia 920 did with the same (or harder) usage. I honestly see longer usage out of my 1020. Sorry to hear you're having an issue. Maybe double check some of your background app settings and see if there's something still running? Also, some people claim they get much better battery life after doing a soft reset (press and hold the power button and volume down together for 10 seconds until the phone reboots). Have you tried that, yet? Just throwing out suggestions, because like I said, I'm seeing similar to better life out of this.

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
So far the tests have shown the 1020, 928 and 925 to be quite a bit ahead of the 920. I got a little over three hours on the stress test, 925 and 928 are coming in around the 2:30 to 2:45 min mark and the 920 seems to be around 2:00 to 2:15 mark. The last I looked I was the only 1020 result. Keep in mind these tests are stressing the hardware hard so real world differences would be much greater.

After a few more tests come in I will gather all the data we have in a chart.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I love it! It's the first smartphone I've owned that I've been able to use outside in bright sunlight without cupping my hand over it to shade it from the sun. I definitely want AMOLED screen on my next device.

actually, amoled is not better than LCD for outdoors, my N97 looked even better under bright sunlight lol, amoleds tend to have lower brightness which affects outdoor visibility, but nokia clear-as-black thing does an excellent job here, my 928 looks stunning outdoors, my only concern with amoled is the battery anxiety when browsing white pages vs watching dark videos, with lcd you can rest assured it wont matter

Rfuser

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
actually, amoled is not better than LCD for outdoors, my N97 looked even better under bright sunlight lol, amoleds tend to have lower brightness which affects outdoor visibility, but nokia clear-as-black thing does an excellent job here, my 928 looks stunning outdoors, my only concern with amoled is the battery anxiety when browsing white pages vs watching dark videos, with lcd you can rest assured it wont matter

My 1020 is noticeably brighter than my 920 @ max brightness in direct sunlight.

It's even brighter than my s4.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss