Hey guys! :)

I'm thinking about buying a Nokia Lumia 1020.. (I have a HTC One now, and Nokia Lumia 920 before that with a lot of problems)

When I had the Nokia Lumia 920 it wasn't that fast taking picture after picture after picture, like the HTC One is..

So how is the Nokia Lumia 1020 compared to HTC One / Iphone 5 and Nokia Lumia 920 by taking picture after picture? :) Mostly aka burst..

+ How do you think the sound via. 3.5mm is compared to other phones you know? :)
    08-04-2013 11:04 AM
    Hi,

The Lumia 1020 is a bit slower at taking pictures than 920 or the other phones u mention. We have had burst mode apps like Blink available since a long time.
    (BTW Blink basically captures a video and takes out 10 frames from it, I don't know if the code has changed from then).
    The Smart Cam app on 1020 takes 10 pictures quickly and then you can do a few things with them.

Jaripi likes this.
    08-04-2013 11:51 AM
    Hey guys! :)

I'm thinking about buying a Nokia Lumia 1020.. (I have a HTC One now, and Nokia Lumia 920 before that with a lot of problems)

When I had the Nokia Lumia 920 it wasn't that fast taking picture after picture after picture, like the HTC One is..

So how is the Nokia Lumia 1020 compared to HTC One / Iphone 5 and Nokia Lumia 920 by taking picture after picture? :) Mostly aka burst..

+ How do you think the sound via. 3.5mm is compared to other phones you know? :)
    This make me smile ... well, is HTC One 4 MP cam ? ... and Lumia 1020 41 MP cam ... so you should know the answer as that give you an idea about file sizes too ... :)
    08-04-2013 11:57 AM
    I left out a few questions of yours.

Lumia 1020 is the best Camera Phone period. The photos from no other smartphone can even come close, even the galaxy zoom. (I don't have 1020 but I have facts http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...one_camera.php)
    No one has done a comparison for burst shots, maybe someone who has 1020 and other devices can comment.

Nokia devices have Dolby Digital support and the sound form the earphones is very good. The equalizer settings work very well. In addition Nokia Rich Recording is supposed to produce very good audio capture.
    08-04-2013 12:00 PM
    I left out a few questions of yours.

Lumia 1020 is the best Camera Phone period. The photos from no other smartphone can even come close, even the galaxy zoom. (I don't have 1020 but I have facts 4 way flagship phone camera shootout: Nokia 808, Lumia 1020 and 925, Galaxy S4 Zoom)
    No one has done a comparison for burst shots, maybe someone who has 1020 and other devices can comment.

Nokia devices have Dolby Digital support and the sound form the earphones is very good. The equalizer settings work very well. In addition Nokia Rich Recording is supposed to produce very good audio capture.
    About rich recording, HTC One is using the same as Lumia 920 (HTC is using Nokia technology without Nokia permission. There is a court case about that) ... but Lumia 1020 has a better one, improved 2nd generation stereo one (clearly better as old one) ... well, HTC has an advantage by the other way, they are using amp (boasting speakers)
    08-04-2013 12:08 PM
    I have told many people that notice the lag on the Pro Camera app between shots that if you set to just the 5mp save, it gets much faster. You can still use the base app which is good enough for most casual snaps. In fact, I have it set as my default camera app when I press and hold the shutter button to grab quick shots with out unlocking. If I need the Pro features I can lens it over or just launch that app, pinned in the most convenient part of the home screen.

Also, the other apps mentioned, Smart and Blink, are all great options for burst shots.
    08-04-2013 03:37 PM
    The HTC One's big thing is picture speed, isn't it? I believe they may be top of the line in that sense.
    08-04-2013 03:42 PM
    The Lumia 1020 takes pathetically slow pictures. 41MP is pretty useless if you can't actually get the shot you want. Photography is all about opportunity, not the comparatively pointless megapixels. Burst mode is near impossible. I tried out the Lumia 1020 at the store. It takes a good 5-6 seconds for the cam pro to boot after holding the button. Then when you snap a picture it doesn't have the fastest autofocus, and will take a second to snap. Then the camera is literally stuck for four seconds and you can't do anything while its processing. So forget about snapping a lot of photos in succession, or if you miss that moving subject the first time around. Go checkout the slashgear review of the Lumia 1020 for a visual demonstration of its lagginess.
    Nokia Lumia 1020 Review - SlashGear

If you use the regular WP camera app, which takes 5MP shots and you can just tap on the screen to snap a photo, it is still noticeably slower than last year's phones like the Galaxy S3/One X. Forget about it ever reaching the same speed heights of this year's HTC One/Galaxy S4. This is an extremely large flaw of the Lumia 1020. Nokia chose to release the phone now instead of a few months later even though WP can only support last year's dual-core krait phones in the latest update. People can circle the issue all they want by bashing the HTC One's 4MP camera, but the truth is if Nokia had the 1.7ghz quad-core snapdragon 600 in the HTC One (which was released months ago BTW) or even the faster 1.9ghz of the Galaxy S4 (also released months ago), the Lumia 1020 might actually be able to do burst mode at 41MP, or at least take pictures that don't take 10 seconds between shots.

If you are not too concerned about being able to zoom, and want a camera that performs well in all lighting conditions very quickly and very consistently with no hassle, then keep the HTC One. The camera is only 4MP, but that's all you really need. The Lumia 1020 even defaults to 5MP and you can only share the 5MP shots. The 4MP of the HTC One uses very big "ultrapixels" that take great photos in their own right. It's also a great phone with bleeding edge tech, Android with the biggest app ecosystem and customizability, fast performance, unsurpassed speakers, has a bigger screen and smaller body, is well built, and is way cheaper than the Lumia 1020 (you'll be losing money switching).

The HTC One is a better smartphone in almost every way. Unless you care about minute details that require lots of zooming and fine comb analysis, which I don't think you do, you are getting a big downgrade in all respects. Move along.
    kopi22 and Sleenzer like this.
    08-04-2013 05:22 PM
    The Lumia 1020 takes pathetically slow pictures. 41MP is pretty useless if you can't actually get the shot you want. Photography is all about opportunity, not the comparatively pointless megapixels. Burst mode is near impossible. I tried out the Lumia 1020 at the store. It takes a good 5-6 seconds for the cam pro to boot after holding the button. Then when you snap a picture it doesn't have the fastest autofocus, and will take a second to snap. Then the camera is literally stuck for four seconds and you can't do anything while its processing. So forget about snapping a lot of photos in succession, or if you miss that moving subject the first time around. Go checkout the slashgear review of the Lumia 1020 for a visual demonstration of its lagginess.

If you use the regular WP camera app, which takes 5MP shots and you can just tap on the screen to snap a photo, it is still noticeably slower than last year's phones like the Galaxy S3/One X. Forget about it ever reaching the same speed heights of this year's HTC One/Galaxy S4. This is an extremely large flaw of the Lumia 1020. Nokia chose to release the phone now instead of a few months later even though WP can only support last year's dual-core krait phones in the latest update. People can circle the issue all they want by bashing the HTC One's 4MP camera, but the truth is if Nokia had the 1.7ghz quad-core snapdragon 600 in the HTC One (which was released months ago BTW) or even the faster 1.9ghz of the Galaxy S4 (also released months ago), the Lumia 1020 might actually be able to do burst mode at 41MP, or at least take pictures that don't take 10 seconds between shots.

If you are not too concerned about being able to zoom, and want a camera that performs well in all lighting conditions very quickly and very consistently with no hassle, then keep the HTC One. The camera is only 4MP, but that's all you really need. The Lumia 1020 even defaults to 5MP and you can only share the 5MP shots. The 4MP of the HTC One uses very big "ultrapixels" that take great photos in their own right. It's also a great phone with bleeding edge tech, Android with the biggest app ecosystem and customizability, fast performance, unsurpassed speakers, has a bigger screen and smaller body, is well built, and is way cheaper than the Lumia 1020 (you'll be losing money switching).

The HTC One is a better smartphone in almost every way. Unless you care about minute details that require lots of zooming and fine comb analysis, which I don't think you do, you are getting a big downgrade in all respects. Move along.
    Agree. For taking the right moments, HTC One / S4 is the way to go. I hate the idea of swapping to different lenses in the midst of things happening. Every lenses app require loading times and that's really a big turn off for me. And we need to remember the appropriate app for different situations ie Nokia panorama for side shots, Smart camera for burst, etc etc.... I hope all these will just be built into 1 single camera app like Android.
    Sleenzer likes this.
    08-04-2013 09:17 PM

I think the real question is which is holding it back speed-wise: the processor speed or the sheer size of the files being written out to flash RAM (or both)?

Would a quad-core processor help? Serious question.

I think it should also be noted that camera speed is not everything. Yes, if you are trying to get a shot of a two year old (like I frequently am), it's important. But if you are taking a shot of a landscape or sunset or vacation spot it doesn't matter at all. Your post makes it sound like the camera is useless because you can't be powered down to first shot in 1.5 seconds.
    08-04-2013 10:35 PM
    Lumia 1020 can manage a such need too - you can set other app as a main camera app for Lumia 1020, so it serves those people too, who want use it for quick photos ... just try Blink, Smart Camera, Burton (sport people use that). but then, you can not get the same photo quality any longer (file sizes are clearly smaller), but certainly it still beats HTC One cam easily ... YOU can not seriously talk about HTC One cam and Lumia 1020 cam on the same time :)
    08-04-2013 11:26 PM
    Well specs wise yes HTC One may be better in most things except screen(supersensitive) and camera(Pureview) and audio recording(Nokia's stereo rich recording)
    But it's not just about specs. Yes, currently 1020 may be little slower in time between pics than HTC One, but the question is does it really make a big difference?
    IMO it doesn't. I don't face too many situations in real life where I have needed instant pic.(I don't have kids). Also one advantage of WP is camera lenses where all different lenses are at your fingertips. Also, Nokia's smart shoot and smartcam is excellent for burst mode shorts, action shot, removing unwanted objects or selecting the best pic. I think they make up for the slight delay between shots.
    Also the big advantage of 1020 pureview zoom is that you don't need to waste time in zooming where you can easily lose the moment in other cameras. Here you take the picture and zoom later knowing that you capture all the detail anyways.
    08-04-2013 11:40 PM
    Well specs wise yes HTC One may be better in most things except screen(supersensitive) and camera(Pureview) and audio recording(Nokia's stereo rich recording)
    But it's not just about specs. Yes, currently 1020 may be little slower in time between pics than HTC One, but the question is does it really make a big difference?
    IMO it doesn't. I don't face too many situations in real life where I have needed instant pic.(I don't have kids). Also one advantage of WP is camera lenses where all different lenses are at your fingertips. Also, Nokia's smart shoot and smartcam is excellent for burst mode shorts, action shot, removing unwanted objects or selecting the best pic. I think they make up for the slight delay between shots.
    Also the big advantage of 1020 pureview zoom is that you don't need to waste time in zooming where you can easily lose the moment in other cameras. Here you take the picture and zoom later knowing that you capture all the detail anyways.
    Is all down to the preferences of the user. Yes, Nokia has smart shoot and smartcam which is excellent for burst mode shorts, action shot, removing unwanted objects or selecting the best pic. So can HTC One / S4. But HTC One can do burst, panorama, filters, etc right on the fly in the default camera app (no need to worry about setting which app to be default camera app). On the other hand, users will need to switch between different apps aka lenses for different purposes on Windows Phone. Not sure about you, but all the loading times and switching of apps are quite a hassle for me and I wouldn't say these are at my finder tips at all. No doubt the camera is very powerful for 1020. But it is Windows Phone which hinders the best user experience when using the camera. Something that MS need to change.
    08-05-2013 12:06 AM
    Slashgear's review mentions worst case only 1s difference between 38+5 MP and 5 MP. In general, what is the reason for this delay (anywhere between 3-5 seconds between shots) -- too much image processing by Pro Cam app? If there was a faster CPU (ones supposedly supported by future WP 8.1), would this time come down dramatically?
    08-05-2013 01:20 AM
    Slashgear's review mentions worst case only 1s difference between 38+5 MP and 5 MP. In general, what is the reason for this delay (anywhere between 3-5 seconds between shots) -- too much image processing by Pro Cam app? If there was a faster CPU (ones supposedly supported by future WP 8.1), would this time come down dramatically?
    I'm curious as well. My guess is they wont admit it's a processing speed issue until they can do something about it...
    08-06-2013 10:27 PM
    I'm curious as well. My guess is they wont admit it's a processing speed issue until they can do something about it...
    Its too early to guess if Nokia's app can be improved upon to reduce the time. I have a kid too hence these questions.

I know you can not use Pro Cam app for rapid fire shots in 1020. Even in 5 MP only mode, there is a significant delay between successive shots.

I am wondering if using Smart Cam (in burst mode) or BLINK, has anyone tried to compare the picture quality with 5 MP output using default camera app (not in burst mode). I'm not comparing the oversampled version with Pro Cam.

Also, is the BLINK output for 1020 significantly better than BLINK output for 920 by sheer sensor improvements?

Would really appreciate if someone could post samples or comment on what they have seen.
    08-07-2013 12:37 PM