Otterbox Defender for Nokia Lumia 1020 (First Look)

GloriousGlory

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing the video.

Otterbox has always offered high quality cases.

No Problem. Just so everyone knows I did end up taking off the provided screen protector (very easy) and it's pretty close to what I consider a perfect case at this point. With our gorilla glass 3 displays I'm not too scared of scratches and prefer the look and feel of the naked screen!

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
wow. that looks like a tank. i hope they make a slimmed down version. Cant even consider putting that beautiful phone inside a tank. Its like birthing a beautiful baby girl, then realizing you live in an Arab country and she will be wrapped in black from head to toe her whole life.

GloriousGlory

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
wow. that looks like a tank. i hope they make a slimmed down version. Cant even consider putting that beautiful phone inside a tank. Its like birthing a beautiful baby girl, then realizing you live in an Arab country and she will be wrapped in black from head to toe her whole life.

I actually prefer it. It's not a bad type of bulk, it's a functional bulk in my opinion. A naked Lumia 1020 is very very awkward to hold. This case allows the phone to sit flat into your palms and on any table surface.

wyountrx

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I wish Gorilla Glass was enough, but but be cautions on front and back. I'm heading to the store today for a screen protector and a small bumper. I've got small scratches by the top (ear piece) and the bottom bezel. They correspond where i would cradle the phone against my head with my shoulder. My only explanation is my synthetic glasses frame and beard. Was very disappointed that the GG3 already failed against what I thought was a minor challenge.

GloriousGlory

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I wish Gorilla Glass was enough, but but be cautions on front and back. I'm heading to the store today for a screen protector and a small bumper. I've got small scratches by the top (ear piece) and the bottom bezel. They correspond where i would cradle the phone against my head with my shoulder. My only explanation is my synthetic glasses frame and beard. Was very disappointed that the GG3 already failed against what I thought was a minor challenge.

Thanks very much for the heads up. Either way the default screen protector on the otterbox is quite poor in my opinion. You can easily use your own screen protector with this case.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I actually prefer it. It's not a bad type of bulk, it's a functional bulk in my opinion. A naked Lumia 1020 is very very awkward to hold. This case allows the phone to sit flat into your palms and on any table surface.

I actually think the 1020 feels ok in the hand without a case, pretty easy to hold, with one finger cradled around the camera bump. The only thing I have trouble getting used to is the power button in the middle of the right side, I keep pushing it sometimes when I hold the phone. The button placement is one aspect I think Samsung did better (at least on my old Focus) with the volume key on top left side and power on top right side. Makes the phone easier to hold as you have space on the sides to grip it tightly without pushing any buttons, and the volume control on the left near your thumb is a better ergonomic design in my opinion.

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

I have two small scratches already. No idea when/where they came from. I thought I was really careful, too. I have no more faith in GG3 than I do in GG2, at this point.

Oddly enough, mine are in a similar location to wyoutrx's. One just to the right and above the front camera, and the other between the windows key and search button. No beard or glasses here.

Desmoface

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
That is a very nice case, thanks for the review. I'm thinking that using a traditional screen protector in place of the included otterbox protector would probably be the ticket. I'm seriously considering this phone but I'm finding it hard to wait for the prices to come down, and have to admit, I think it looks awesome in that case. The force is strong with this phone, LOL. Thanks again.

Steve

drtek

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Just got the Otterbox for the 1020 at AT&T. As expected, say goodbye to wireless charging. I was hoping it would fit with the charging cover attached. Nope.

Protection versus convenience. I went with protection. Perhaps a company will be smart enough to come out with a case that you can use with the charging cover.

It is a nice case. A bit of a pain to open, but it looks like it has been redesigned. The rubber gasket is tougher and not as shiny as the 920 version.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Wow. That is a very thick case. You are correct when you say that isn't everyones cup-o-tea. I use a pocket-pouch for my L920. Its thick when carrying but use the phone itself naked. The pouch itself is also a nice soft leather.

GloriousGlory

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Just got the Otterbox for the 1020 at AT&T. As expected, say goodbye to wireless charging. I was hoping it would fit with the charging cover attached. Nope.

Protection versus convenience. I went with protection. Perhaps a company will be smart enough to come out with a case that you can use with the charging cover.

It is a nice case. A bit of a pain to open, but it looks like it has been redesigned. The rubber gasket is tougher and not as shiny as the 920 version.

You mean the rubber layer? It feels extremely tough and durable. I've seen iPhone ones where they feel gummy and soft, this is nothing like that. Good point.

Don't they sell those stickers that provide wireless charging in any case? Would it be possible to use that with this?

drtek

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The case for the 920 was marginal at best. Too big of a cutout area allowing dust behind the cover. The rubber gasket is too smooth, and wears too much when it is clipped in and out of the holder.
Regarding the charging contacts? No idea. It would be nice if something like that existed.

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Mine arrived. I don't have a problem with the added bulk/weight, and it is a tank of a case. My gripes are with the screen protector and the charging flap.

The screen protector does not sit flush against the display, and dust will be an issue, not to mention annoying to touch. The holes for the ear speaker, front camera and light sensor were cut pretty rough. Looks like they were cut with a dull tool.

The charging flap is too hard to open. I actually have to grab it with my nails to pull it open. This seems to be less of an issue with use/wear, but is annoying and not an issue with the headphone jack flap.

It does feel like an Otterbox should; like Fort Knox. I may pop out the screen protector and use a stick on, though.

GloriousGlory

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Mine arrived. I don't have a problem with the added bulk/weight, and it is a tank of a case. My gripes are with the screen protector and the charging flap.

The screen protector does not sit flush against the display, and dust will be an issue, not to mention annoying to touch. The holes for the ear speaker, front camera and light sensor were cut pretty rough. Looks like they were cut with a dull tool.

The charging flap is too hard to open. I actually have to grab it with my nails to pull it open. This seems to be less of an issue with use/wear, but is annoying and not an issue with the headphone jack flap.

It does feel like an Otterbox should; like Fort Knox. I may pop out the screen protector and use a stick on, though.

I got rid of the screen protector after about 30 minutes, like you said it doesn't sit flush, and it feels and looks really cheap. The good news is that it's extremely easy to get off. For my particular case the charger flap is fairly easy to open, but the headphone flap is extremely difficult to open. With wear it should settle, but I opted for blue tooth headphones and it's been a phenomenal investment. I no longer have to worry about opening and closing that port much, and also I no longer have to change the volume of my phone, because my headphones have internal volume control, so I just leave it at 30 the entire time. I also get full control and can play music on the fly as well as fast forward and reverse.

Anyways I got off topic for a bit...With the built in screen protector it off I consider it to be almost a perfect case for myself. The Incipio apparently comes with tampered glass on their case, which would have been nice if we had it on ours. I may opt to not even use a screen protector this time around. I really like the feel of the naked screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss