The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
08-24-2014 12:38 AM
36 12
tools

I just uploaded this video, apologize for lower quality microphone and auto focus issues. First time using this webcam!

Hope this helps any one who is interested in this case.
    Laura Knotek, si49 and B1zzle like this.
    08-05-2013 02:35 PM
    Thanks for sharing the video.

Otterbox has always offered high quality cases.
    08-05-2013 02:38 PM
    Thanks for sharing the video.

Otterbox has always offered high quality cases.
    No Problem. Just so everyone knows I did end up taking off the provided screen protector (very easy) and it's pretty close to what I consider a perfect case at this point. With our gorilla glass 3 displays I'm not too scared of scratches and prefer the look and feel of the naked screen!
    08-05-2013 03:16 PM
    wow. that looks like a tank. i hope they make a slimmed down version. Cant even consider putting that beautiful phone inside a tank. Its like birthing a beautiful baby girl, then realizing you live in an Arab country and she will be wrapped in black from head to toe her whole life.
    GardSec and Zomby Jeezus like this.
    08-05-2013 03:26 PM
    wow. that looks like a tank. i hope they make a slimmed down version. Cant even consider putting that beautiful phone inside a tank. Its like birthing a beautiful baby girl, then realizing you live in an Arab country and she will be wrapped in black from head to toe her whole life.
    I actually prefer it. It's not a bad type of bulk, it's a functional bulk in my opinion. A naked Lumia 1020 is very very awkward to hold. This case allows the phone to sit flat into your palms and on any table surface.
    08-05-2013 03:29 PM
    I wish Gorilla Glass was enough, but but be cautions on front and back. I'm heading to the store today for a screen protector and a small bumper. I've got small scratches by the top (ear piece) and the bottom bezel. They correspond where i would cradle the phone against my head with my shoulder. My only explanation is my synthetic glasses frame and beard. Was very disappointed that the GG3 already failed against what I thought was a minor challenge.
    ParoleGA likes this.
    08-05-2013 04:12 PM
    I wish Gorilla Glass was enough, but but be cautions on front and back. I'm heading to the store today for a screen protector and a small bumper. I've got small scratches by the top (ear piece) and the bottom bezel. They correspond where i would cradle the phone against my head with my shoulder. My only explanation is my synthetic glasses frame and beard. Was very disappointed that the GG3 already failed against what I thought was a minor challenge.
    Thanks very much for the heads up. Either way the default screen protector on the otterbox is quite poor in my opinion. You can easily use your own screen protector with this case.
    08-05-2013 04:59 PM
    I actually prefer it. It's not a bad type of bulk, it's a functional bulk in my opinion. A naked Lumia 1020 is very very awkward to hold. This case allows the phone to sit flat into your palms and on any table surface.
    I actually think the 1020 feels ok in the hand without a case, pretty easy to hold, with one finger cradled around the camera bump. The only thing I have trouble getting used to is the power button in the middle of the right side, I keep pushing it sometimes when I hold the phone. The button placement is one aspect I think Samsung did better (at least on my old Focus) with the volume key on top left side and power on top right side. Makes the phone easier to hold as you have space on the sides to grip it tightly without pushing any buttons, and the volume control on the left near your thumb is a better ergonomic design in my opinion.
    08-05-2013 05:07 PM
    I have two small scratches already. No idea when/where they came from. I thought I was really careful, too. I have no more faith in GG3 than I do in GG2, at this point.

Oddly enough, mine are in a similar location to wyoutrx's. One just to the right and above the front camera, and the other between the windows key and search button. No beard or glasses here.
    08-05-2013 05:12 PM
    That is a very nice case, thanks for the review. I'm thinking that using a traditional screen protector in place of the included otterbox protector would probably be the ticket. I'm seriously considering this phone but I'm finding it hard to wait for the prices to come down, and have to admit, I think it looks awesome in that case. The force is strong with this phone, LOL. Thanks again.

Steve
    08-05-2013 06:55 PM
    I thought I was watching a video about house bricks.
    08-05-2013 08:28 PM
    Sorry, I guess my video and/or this case isn't everyone's cup of tea. The one thing that can't be denied is how much protection the case provides.
    08-05-2013 08:38 PM
    Never know when you may need a brick! You can protect your phone and fend off a mugger.
    Maishogg likes this.
    08-06-2013 12:33 AM
    Sorry, I guess my video and/or this case isn't everyone's cup of tea. The one thing that can't be denied is how much protection the case provides.
    Its true, I just hate otter box. I would rather buy 99 coverage and roll with the phone in its beautiful self skin.
    08-06-2013 05:29 PM
    Just got the Otterbox for the 1020 at AT&T. As expected, say goodbye to wireless charging. I was hoping it would fit with the charging cover attached. Nope.

Protection versus convenience. I went with protection. Perhaps a company will be smart enough to come out with a case that you can use with the charging cover.

It is a nice case. A bit of a pain to open, but it looks like it has been redesigned. The rubber gasket is tougher and not as shiny as the 920 version.
    08-07-2013 02:42 AM
    Wow. That is a very thick case. You are correct when you say that isn't everyones cup-o-tea. I use a pocket-pouch for my L920. Its thick when carrying but use the phone itself naked. The pouch itself is also a nice soft leather.
    08-07-2013 07:15 AM
    Just got the Otterbox for the 1020 at AT&T. As expected, say goodbye to wireless charging. I was hoping it would fit with the charging cover attached. Nope.

Protection versus convenience. I went with protection. Perhaps a company will be smart enough to come out with a case that you can use with the charging cover.

It is a nice case. A bit of a pain to open, but it looks like it has been redesigned. The rubber gasket is tougher and not as shiny as the 920 version.
    You mean the rubber layer? It feels extremely tough and durable. I've seen iPhone ones where they feel gummy and soft, this is nothing like that. Good point.

Don't they sell those stickers that provide wireless charging in any case? Would it be possible to use that with this?
    08-07-2013 07:59 AM
    The case for the 920 was marginal at best. Too big of a cutout area allowing dust behind the cover. The rubber gasket is too smooth, and wears too much when it is clipped in and out of the holder.
    Regarding the charging contacts? No idea. It would be nice if something like that existed.
    08-07-2013 04:06 PM
    Mine arrived. I don't have a problem with the added bulk/weight, and it is a tank of a case. My gripes are with the screen protector and the charging flap.

The screen protector does not sit flush against the display, and dust will be an issue, not to mention annoying to touch. The holes for the ear speaker, front camera and light sensor were cut pretty rough. Looks like they were cut with a dull tool.

The charging flap is too hard to open. I actually have to grab it with my nails to pull it open. This seems to be less of an issue with use/wear, but is annoying and not an issue with the headphone jack flap.

It does feel like an Otterbox should; like Fort Knox. I may pop out the screen protector and use a stick on, though.
    08-07-2013 04:52 PM
    Mine arrived. I don't have a problem with the added bulk/weight, and it is a tank of a case. My gripes are with the screen protector and the charging flap.

The screen protector does not sit flush against the display, and dust will be an issue, not to mention annoying to touch. The holes for the ear speaker, front camera and light sensor were cut pretty rough. Looks like they were cut with a dull tool.

The charging flap is too hard to open. I actually have to grab it with my nails to pull it open. This seems to be less of an issue with use/wear, but is annoying and not an issue with the headphone jack flap.

It does feel like an Otterbox should; like Fort Knox. I may pop out the screen protector and use a stick on, though.
    I got rid of the screen protector after about 30 minutes, like you said it doesn't sit flush, and it feels and looks really cheap. The good news is that it's extremely easy to get off. For my particular case the charger flap is fairly easy to open, but the headphone flap is extremely difficult to open. With wear it should settle, but I opted for blue tooth headphones and it's been a phenomenal investment. I no longer have to worry about opening and closing that port much, and also I no longer have to change the volume of my phone, because my headphones have internal volume control, so I just leave it at 30 the entire time. I also get full control and can play music on the fly as well as fast forward and reverse.

Anyways I got off topic for a bit...With the built in screen protector it off I consider it to be almost a perfect case for myself. The Incipio apparently comes with tampered glass on their case, which would have been nice if we had it on ours. I may opt to not even use a screen protector this time around. I really like the feel of the naked screen.
    08-07-2013 08:44 PM
    Great review. Thanks for posting. I bought one for my 1020 but have cautionary note. I drive a Chevy Avalanche. Twice this past weekend while exiting the truck, the phone detached itself from the holster and dropped onto the tarmac. Thankfully, the actual case did a wonderful job and the phone was unscratched. Dunno' what caused the issue: the retracting lap/shoulder belt? The side bolster of the bucket seat? Maybe I shouldn't have worn the holster on my belt while driving.
    08-12-2013 05:35 PM
    Anyone here know of an easy way to take it apart?
    08-17-2013 02:14 PM
    Anyone here know of an easy way to take it apart?
    Jackhammer. There is no easy way, if you want it to work still after.
    08-17-2013 04:51 PM
    A guitar pick is the perfect tool to unbuckle the hard shell case. It makes it totally easy and doable.

After using it for a while, then taking it out of the case, I must say it adds a lot of bulk. The biggest issue I have with the case is that it makes the buttons extremely unresponsive and hard to press down on the side. A simple chore like taking the phone out of your pocket to look at the time becomes a tough job.

I really like using the Camera grip case the most at the moment due to the added functionality, however, there is no argument that the Otterbox provides the best protection for the phone.
    Last edited by GloriousGlory; 08-18-2013 at 01:05 AM.
    08-17-2013 09:49 PM
    Is there a pattern for getting it open?
    08-18-2013 03:27 AM
36 12