04-02-2014 07:47 PM
50 12
tools
    I like it, even though I wear a watch. I just wish you could turn it off when it is plugged in and charging, don't need to see it on all night. I ended up just flipping the phone over each night now.
    I'm not 100% positive that this will work for the charging stand but it may be worth a try, if you set the Glance screen to "Peek" the screen goes dark until its perimeter motion sensor is set off (top left corner of unit IIRC) (I'll give this a shot when I get home tonight and set my phone on the charging stand.) One other option that might help at night is enabling/setting it to use "Night mode". This setting turns the text to almost blood red (if this feature had come out during the TwiHard movie craze Nokia/MS would've sold 10 million phones a day LOL). The clock is no longer glaring and bright in a dark room but is still easy to read if you need to.
    08-07-2013 05:56 AM
    I'm not 100% positive that this will work for the charging stand but it may be worth a try, if you set the Glance screen to "Peek" the screen goes dark until its perimeter motion sensor is set off (top left corner of unit IIRC) (I'll give this a shot when I get home tonight and set my phone on the charging stand.) One other option that might help at night is enabling/setting it to use "Night mode". This setting turns the text to almost blood red (if this feature had come out during the TwiHard movie craze Nokia/MS would've sold 10 million phones a day LOL). The clock is no longer glaring and bright in a dark room but is still easy to read if you need to.
    Yes, I have it set to Night Mode and I like the red numerals, but as far as I can tell, the clock stays on all night when it is plugged in charging. I'll see if it shuts off tonight.
    08-07-2013 01:21 PM
    Yes, I have it set to Night Mode and I like the red numerals, but as far as I can tell, the clock stays on all night when it is plugged in charging. I'll see if it shuts off tonight.
    Yep, it does. Even with the "Peek" setting enabled, the Glance screen with Night Mode still stays on the entire time that it is on the charger. Oh well...
    08-08-2013 05:01 AM
    Yep, it does. Even with the "Peek" setting enabled, the Glance screen with Night Mode still stays on the entire time that it is on the charger. Oh well...
    Yes, confirmed it last night too. Shame you can't elect to turn it off if it is plugged in, but maybe that's an option for an update down the road?
    08-08-2013 12:28 PM
    Just like everyone who had the N9, at first I was super excited because I really missed this feature. Then slightly disappointed when I found out it doesn't show the notifications. I do look at it a lot for the clock though, so I'm very happy to at least have that.

Slightly concerned because the clock doesn't seem to change places as fast as the N9... I feel like every time I look at it, it's always on the bottom left of the screen.
    08-10-2013 12:30 AM
    Once it has notifications I will be happy. Double-tap without having to use the power button is a bonus though.
    08-10-2013 10:32 PM
    I agree with most. It would be far more useful if it showed that we had notifications. That and if it allowed '1 wave to peek. Another wave to unlock'. So basically I could wave my hand over the phone to access glance and then another to unlock the phone. As it exists now, it takes more steps to unlock than just pressing the power button.Great to have though. I'm sure Nokia will make it even better going forward.
    08-12-2013 09:30 AM
    Anyone has any problems with the Glance screen settings just not working? I initially had it set to on all the time, but it seemed to really kill my battery. I then set it to 15 minute timed, but it never would go off. Hours and hours just sitting on a desk and it wouldnt go off. Then I tried to set it to peek, and still, it never goes off.

Oh well. I have since turned it off. It is just not that useful without notifications. If you are close enough to your phone to look at it and read the time, you are close enough to reach out and double tap or push the power button to see that too, AND be able to see your notifications. Oh well. Great job by Nokia to add these type of features. This combined with about 500 other reasons really make a Lumia phone the premium Windows Phone.
    08-12-2013 10:04 AM
    On my 1020 in the glance settings it says the clock and notifications should appear, but they dont. I have it on peek and it never shows notifications, only the clock.
    09-28-2013 08:03 AM
    I can't get the "peek" function to work on my 1020. The "hover your hand over the phone" trick just doesn't work.

Anyone?
    09-29-2013 07:36 AM
    On my 1020 in the glance settings it says the clock and notifications should appear, but they dont. I have it on peek and it never shows notifications, only the clock.

the new update doesn't have that option anymore. It was released prematurely. The next big update will enable it. At this time, it will only show clock and ringer settings, battery chraging.
    09-29-2013 07:49 AM
    I can't get the "peek" function to work on my 1020. The "hover your hand over the phone" trick just doesn't work.

Anyone?
    the sensor is near the front camera. Wave over it.
    Cutting Edge likes this.
    09-29-2013 07:50 AM
    I think nokia will introduce all symbian features soon to lumia range...my 808 has glance screen and notifications...now iam buying 1020..shifting frm symbian to windows hope I stay happy...thou I have note 2 for.other stuff
    09-29-2013 11:48 AM
    I had it turned off because I was scared it was a battery drain and also for AMO-LED "Burn In". As others have stated, the fact it doesn't show notifications usually forces you to hit the power button anyways.
    The time actually moves up and down the screen, slowly. It doesn't stay in one spot. I wouldn't worry about any "burn in".

Edit: Ugh. Lol. Posting from WP Central App, didn't realize this was 4 pages. Probably mentioned this fact already.
    09-29-2013 12:44 PM
    The glance feature is awesome. Basically I used the "Nokia Sleep Screen' before in N8 and C6-01. The main thing which I like about the Amber update, is the glance feature only. I love it a lot. But if the Notifications of MSGs, Emails, and other chat massengers, included. That'll be like the best thing about my Lumia.
    09-29-2013 01:05 PM
    the new Moto X has this feature too but they did it so much better. they included notifications! I think I'll be switching over to try android since I'm getting impatient with waiting for microsoft to bring updates with useful features for real life use. That's why I'm thinking of getting the Moto X. 4 reasons. Their glance screen, handless voice activation, customiation, and as mentioned above, I'm getting tired of waiting for cool mindblowing features from Microsoft. Android seems to be getting amazing features all the time. I don't remember where I heard this, I think it was on a WP podcast or something, but sometimes, you just want to be on the winning side. I've had the Samsung Focus, and now the Nokia 920, fyi.
    exactly
    1. no notification hub
    2. no screen rotation lock
    3. limited multitasking
    09-29-2013 01:11 PM
    I think nokia will introduce all symbian features soon to lumia range...my 808 has glance screen and notifications...now iam buying 1020..shifting frm symbian to windows hope I stay happy...thou I have note 2 for.other stuff
    please don't expect TOO much out of a windows OS and you will not be disappointed :-)
    09-29-2013 01:14 PM
    Small change but of great importance...well to me anyway.

The ability to tell the time without having to unlock the phone or look at my watch is a welcome addition to WP. I really missed this kind of feature from Symbian but more work needs to be done regarding notifications but it's a start!
    09-29-2013 07:32 PM
    Love it, even on my IPS LCD (non AMOLED) equipped 920

Great feature, smart use of the proximity sensor too.
    09-29-2013 07:37 PM
    What I see of of it is its usage while the time I sleep. Because all the other times I have a watch. I am disappointed double tap to wake did not come to 720 though the update is included but not activated with amber. Also would like to see more themes for the phone or colors.
    09-29-2013 08:07 PM
    the sensor is near the front camera. Wave over it.
    I'm waving... but why? The clock is already there automatically. It never goes away, on "peek" OR "interval".

Something wrong with my phone?
    09-29-2013 09:49 PM
    What I see of of it is its usage while the time I sleep. Because all the other times I have a watch. I am disappointed double tap to wake did not come to 720 though the update is included but not activated with amber. Also would like to see more themes for the phone or colors.
    Yeah totally agree, more colour options for the glance screen and themes would be a very welcome addition. I have to say that the red clock text (night mode) as the glance screen looks beautiful on the white lumia 1020.
    09-29-2013 09:50 PM
    there is an app called wiper that removes the screen burn in
    04-02-2014 05:45 PM
    I agree here as well, I do like peek, especially in green, but once we get 8.1 in a few weeks then WP8 will truely be a thing of beauty. but it does need notifications.
    04-02-2014 07:37 PM
    my glance is always on. I flaunt my glance anywhere! and I love it!!

my next phone should have glance! 920>930
    04-02-2014 07:47 PM
50 12