What does everyone think of the Glance screen?

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
The Glance screen to me was one of the most minor features to the Amber update when I read about it here. After using my 1020 for a week I have to say it's one of my most liked features. It's so convenient and with the AMOLED screen I have been able to set it to always on with no battery issues. If we could get it to show a email, txt etc counter/icon it would be perfect!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The night mode looks like a really cool feature. When I used BlackBerry I liked bedtime mode for dimming the clock. The clock on the BlackBerry still was in white, just not as bright. The red WP Glance night mode would be even better as a clock on one's nightstand.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I don't use it. I wear a watch so the glance screen doesn't mean much to me. A year ago, it might have been more useful (I was between watches at the time).

Glavata

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I love it! This was a very breakthrough feature I was missing from my old N9. I still am missing the other 50% though, the notifications on the screen. Nothing beats simply glancing over to your phone and see if you have a missed call/text/email/etc. I think WP does not have the API calls for Nokia to use, otherwise they would have added it. Hoping for this in future updates.

PS Motorola recently copied this in their upcoming phone and I predict they will market the crap out of it.

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I love it! I still am missing the other 50% though, the notifications on the screen. Nothing beats simply glancing over to your phone and see if you have a missed call/text/email/etc.

This! Totally agree - if they can add the information that they already include in the lockscreen to the Glance screen, this would be a great feature add!

GloriousGlory

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I had it turned off because I was scared it was a battery drain and also for AMO-LED "Burn In". As others have stated, the fact it doesn't show notifications usually forces you to hit the power button anyways.

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I had it turned off because I was scared it was a battery drain and also for AMO-LED "Burn In". As others have stated, the fact it doesn't show notifications usually forces you to hit the power button anyways.

Would like for lockscreen notifications to be moved to glance screen too but double tap screen instead of using power button; this brings up the lockscreen w/o using power button 😊

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
It's one feature that has become a must for me using Symbian and MeeGo phones.
Though having no notifications present (like on Symbian and N9) makes it mostly useless for me. Because then you need to take the extra step and check the lockscreen.

After notifications are implemented, the I will be more than happy.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I think that all old N9 users have been missing it and double tap too ... I have it on Lumia 920 now, even it is not amoled screen, some is absolutely better for this purpose.

Anyway, I hope that too, that Nokia will improve it in the next update, to have some simple notification to tell us that we should check our phone (for message, call, etc.)

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
the new Moto X has this feature too but they did it so much better. they included notifications! I think I'll be switching over to try android since I'm getting impatient with waiting for microsoft to bring updates with useful features for real life use. That's why I'm thinking of getting the Moto X. 4 reasons. Their glance screen, handless voice activation, customiation, and as mentioned above, I'm getting tired of waiting for cool mindblowing features from Microsoft. Android seems to be getting amazing features all the time. I don't remember where I heard this, I think it was on a WP podcast or something, but sometimes, you just want to be on the winning side. I've had the Samsung Focus, and now the Nokia 920, fyi.

dogfacedsoldier

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I like it, even though I wear a watch. I just wish you could turn it off when it is plugged in and charging, don't need to see it on all night. I ended up just flipping the phone over each night now.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I likw it but more excited about being able to use nokia pro cam. people seem to be forgetting about thisone lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077