confusion about getting 38mp images off of a 1020

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Was talking to a co-worker who has a 928 and mentioned I was thinking about the 1020 now over it because of the camera. He mentioned he'd read somewhere this morning that the only way to get the hi-res photos was if you edited the shot (i.e. crop, zoom, whatever) on the phone and then save the image. He was under the impression that you couldn't just get to the raw untouched hi-res picture that you took and eventually they just went away. That's a bit confusing, especially the last part, so I just want to make sure that what he was reading is dead wrong. (he couldn't find the article this afternoon when I was talking to him)

I was under the impression I could use it just like any other camera phone, take a bunch of hi-res pics at 38mp (depending on aspect ratio of course), and then plug into my PC to pull them off for editing later. Am I wrong? If I have to modify them first and save a copy somewhere of the original then that might push me to just get a 928 and hope its camera is decent enough for when I don't want to haul my DSLR around. Right now I don't have a point & shoot and my current cell camera sucks royally so I was hoping to get something that could fill in the gap.

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
You're absolutely right. The full res photos are able to be pulled off only by PC USB connection.

But they CAN be pulled off? That's the thing I was trying to make sure of. Whatever he read made it sound like you couldn't get to the untouched full size photo without possibly hacking the phone somehow. I don't have a problem with the USB bit, it would be no different than plugging my DSLR in to get photos off of it.

dwigfor

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I think they can also be uploaded to ATT Locker (similar to Skydrive). Hurry up, they had a promo running where you could get like 50gig for free!

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
But they CAN be pulled off? That's the thing I was trying to make sure of. Whatever he read made it sound like you couldn't get to the untouched full size photo without possibly hacking the phone somehow. I don't have a problem with the USB bit, it would be no different than plugging my DSLR in to get photos off of it.

yes they CAN be pulled off. No need to edit it beforehand.

dogfacedsoldier

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

I think they can also be uploaded to ATT Locker (similar to Skydrive). Hurry up, they had a promo running where you could get like 50gig for free!

Yes, you can also upload pictures and videos to the AT&T Locker, but you best do it via Wifi. Uploaded 15 last night and it took a good 10-15 minutes.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
It's easy. Just use your Windows File Explorer. On the left column you will see your phone with all the other computer hardware, expand into Phone.. Pictures.. Camera Roll then just drag the files wherever you want on your pc. The 34mp files will have "hi res" somewhere in the name. A bit of a pain - I'd love to upload directly to SkyDrive and Flickr, but it is what it is..

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys that's good to hear. Definitely keeping this phone at the top of my list then. After realizing I misunderstood how the Verizon ETF is pro-rated I'm planning on just riding my contract out until it ends in mid-December and then jumping on the 1020 unless miraculously a version shows on other carriers by then (like a 1028 on VZW and 1025 on T-Mobile for example). I had seriously debated just getting a 928 but it seems like the 1020 is a big improvement for pictures.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb