Nokia Charging Cover Issues?

Steven Curl

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Will the Samsung charging Coils provide the same amount of power needed for wireless charging? I was thinking about getting one and using it with another case instead of getting the wireless charging case? If you find one that fits the two pin connection and provides the correct amount of power please forward the link!!!

I might just rip apart a case and use the Qi sticker inside as a base for the modification. It all depends on when the premium leather case comes out (that's the one I really want) and how much work it will be to get it modified for my needs (probably not hard at all).

rubin89:
Flat head screw driver, and a tiny bit of force popped them out an extra mm or 2, and when I clipped the case on, it made an audible click, like they were springing right into place. Not sure why I didn't think of this, but it worked like a charm!

dtk31883

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I might just rip apart a case and use the Qi sticker inside as a base for the modification. It all depends on when the premium leather case comes out (that's the one I really want) and how much work it will be to get it modified for my needs (probably not hard at all).

rubin89:
Flat head screw driver, and a tiny bit of force popped them out an extra mm or 2, and when I clipped the case on, it made an audible click, like they were springing right into place. Not sure why I didn't think of this, but it worked like a charm!

Whenever you decide to take apart the charging case take pictures. I'm interested in repeating the process later. Hopefully there will be more available and at cheaper prices. It should make it easier to experiment with them.

samuch

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Like I said just CAREFULLY pull out the little metal stubs on the charging cover and it will work perfectly. It should look like this picture

I gave that a shot and it did help substantially. However, there were at least one or two times in the night it still made the dinging charging sound. I know I could mute it but being on call for emergencies I can't explain that I missed the call because I was charging my phone ;)

I like the idea of ripping apart a charging case and taping the coil to the phone and simply using another standard case for protection. I look forward to seeing someone successfully do that!

elRamiro10

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Like I said just CAREFULLY pull out the little metal stubs on the charging cover and it will work perfectly. It should look like this picture View attachment 39613

Everyone having issues, try what Rubin89 did. I did the same thing, glad to see great minds think a-like. I also went a bit old-skool and put some aluminum paper in the prong holes, for a better connection. Looks ghetto, but you only see it when you take it off. So I don't care.

The aluminum serves for better connections and in case the prongs are forced back when on the phone, the small thickness of the aluminum paper keeps pushing them out. I'm guessing, if the pongs go back to their normal state, and you have to keep pulling them out, the metal will wear and the prongs will fall.

By having the aluminum stuffed in the back, they always pop out. Nokia really needed to make this design a bit better. Perhaps instead of holes, they should have just had a black metal strip. That way it doesn't stand out too much and the prongs attach easier.

nsp24

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I have just started having issues with mine, it connects and then disconnects twice I have woken up to a dead phone I wish they had it built in like the 920 this is so annoying!

Update

Pulled the two contacts up a little and I've not had any problems since it has now become reliable again.

Last edited:

sugarsmax321

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
lol I just used a small set of nail trimmers to gently pull them out and it's the first time in weeks my phone has actually charged fully on wireless, I love this forum :) thanks so much !!

nsp24

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
noticed last night that the glance screen had gone off so I looked this morning and one of the prongs had fallen off so no contact, anyone dismantled one of these or repaired them?

BenGutt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I do wonder if you can take out the coils from the "official" covers tape them onto the phone with a bit of gaffer tape, and then use any case you wanted.
Anyone actually tried this? Or maybe something a bit more professional than the gaffer idea anyway... ;)

nsp24

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Thats a great idea unless like me you have the camera grip, I really can't understand why Nokia did not build it into the phone like the 920 its my only problem with the 1020

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
This thread is exactly why I want it built into all phones. It is a wonderful feature.

If they built it into the phone it would make the back flat so it wouldn't rock on flat surfaces AND we'd have wireless charging.....but then CNET reviewers would complain about the "thickness" of the phone :p....personally it's a good tradeoff

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
If they built it into the phone it would make the back flat so it wouldn't rock on flat surfaces AND we'd have wireless charging.....but then CNET reviewers would complain about the "thickness" of the phone :p....personally it's a good tradeoff

This is not true at all. Adding the wireless strip would add very little thickness to the phone. I think the reason AT&T didn't want it built in is their support of PMA. The 1520 seems to make this especially clear.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
This is not true at all. Adding the wireless strip would add very little thickness to the phone. I think the reason AT&T didn't want it built in is their support of PMA. The 1520 seems to make this especially clear.
Maybe because the current lens thickness also? With the wireless cover, the back surface is flatter whereas if you don't have one, you have the camera bulge (which, with it, the charging receiver wouldn't be right up against the plate, soo wireless charging would take even more of a loss than it already does). Just my theory, that maybe it isn't just AT&T's fault.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site

That and Nokia are trying to stay open for different wireless charging standards

original.woodster

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
im so glad someone has mentioned this, i have a Nokia Lumia 925, its been in to Nokia repair twice, and both times they have said it was now working. when i got home last night after being without my phone for nearly two weeks, i nearly cried when i sat it on my JBL PowerUp and Desk Stand and neither charged my phone. both chargers acted as if they was providing charge to the phone but my phone didnt 'ping' or beep or flash. nothing.

on the 925 cases, there are 3 pogo pins, of which i will be pulling down a tad and seeing if this creates a connection. i will be overwhelmed with joy if it does!

also my NFC capabilities dont seem to be working, which is rather annoying :(

gunnagogoona

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
hi mate..
Had this problem also.. tried several NIB covers at Harvey Norman.. when to Telstra and tried several types of Chargers! even aftermarket chinese cheapo's.. NO LUCK.

NFC tags worked fine but would not charge. My DT-910 light would come on but no charge to the phone.

so I figured if NFC tags worked.. there was definitely a connection happening... a little experience with electricity tho had me thinking about 'load'.. so I wondered if the connection wasn't secure enough to carry an electrical 'load'

Here's the simple fix!! on the back of the phone in the little recesses for the connection to the wireless cover. SCREW A LITTLE PIECE OF ALFOIL INTO A TINY LITTLE BALL AND FILL EACH OF THE HOLES SEPARATELY. then simply click on the back cover, ensuring not to remove the alfoil and BINGO.. It WILL WORK!!:grincry:

ipecek

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Anyone tried tearing apart the charging cover? I don't like the cover so I didn't buy one, but I have DT-910 (I had 820 before)
I'd like to keep my current case on while charging wirelessly so I came up with an idea.

Tear apart the charging cover and take out the wireless charging module or whatever that is, stick it on the phone and put a case on the phone to keep it in place.
Is that possible?

EDIT: Found the thread discussing the DIY QI charging.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99