Nokia Charging Cover Issues?

samuch

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I had to ask as I'm now trying to use my second one and it's completely not working. Has anyone else who's purchased one of the CC-3066 charging covers for the 1020 had issues with it? The first one I purchased at the Microsoft store had one of the two metal leads break off as soon as I snapped it on. It was the last they had in stock so I could only get a refund.

I go to the store today to find they had more in stock (Schaumburg, IL) and I open it right there in the store and snap it on. It fits like a glove. I try using one of their charging stands in the store and it doesn't work. They tell me to take it home and try it, doesn't work. I take the cover off and put it back on three times to no avail. I'm looking at the flat Nokia charger I have now and the light is blinking steadily but the phone is not charging.

Anyone else have luck?

samuch

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, looks like I'll go back to the store and slap 'em on until one works. If they don't seem to I'll have to see about a phone exchange I guess.

Steven Curl

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
There is definitely an issue with the wireless covers and this phone. The cover must be set perfectly in order for the pogo pins to make full contact inside the phone, requiring reseating the cover multiple times in the event of changing covers.

The alignment is also slightly off for products like the PowerUP, which requires me to offset the device while sitting on the speakers (not more than half an inch). This wouldn't bother me, but the device will charge for some time (even through the entire night in the case of last night), but will also sometimes frequently disconnect and stop charging, then reacquire some time later, and we all love that awesome charging chime...

I'm thinking about increasing the contact area inside the phone using some metal contacts, but I would prefer this cover just work. This problem was also experienced by all the 1020 carrying staff at the Microsoft Store, so not exactly isolated/phone related.

cdodgela

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
My brand new charging covers for my 1020 didn't work until I pressed down on the phone while on the charging plate. Obviously a contact problem. I went ahead and used a small flat head screw driver that I had filed the corners down to make it curved instead of flat for some other purpose I can't remember what for right now, but I turned that while in the charge cover holes a few turns in order to shave out / open up the two holes slightly and what do you know, wireless charging works perfectly as it should now. I would image using a dremel type small drill bit with an abundance of caution could get the same results. AT&T and Nokia were no help whatsoever and just wanted to get off of the phone, blaming the charging plate or cover, of which I have two each so I knew those weren't the problem. Replacing the phone would have probably got the job done too, but it was a simple alignment problem fixed by opening the charging holes up just enough for proper contact!

Steven Curl

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
That's a good idea, I was going to use something conductive, but I think I can make that minor adjustment without damaging the phone (or at least not noticeably so).

Do you just have the charging plate, or the stand as well? I have two dt910 and a JBL, hoping this just works to improve the connectivity in each position.

cdodgela

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
If you are careful enough you can evenly open up both holes so unless you have another 1020 to compare it to, you can't tell you modified it at all. I plan on keeping the charging cover on it all the time anyway for the added protection, except of course if I use the camera cover. I have the plate and the stand. The stand wouldn't work at all until after the modification. I'm relieved I figured out the problem and modified it instead of getting my 1020 replaced. Even with backup, it takes me hours to get everything just right, logged in and configured. I have a 920 in a silicone case that slipped out of my shirt pocked when I bent over (maybe 3 feet above the ground) and the screen shattered (I thought Gorilla glass was supposed to do better). I had to have the insurance refurbs replaced a total of 4 times before I got a good one because of issues with each, spontaneous rebooting, light leaking through screen, wireless charging stopped working, and a bad touch screen.. Needless to say it was frustrating. I'm happy with my 1020, battery lasts like it should, camera is awesome, and now I have my wireless charging! I hope you get yours working properly.

samuch

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Ok, glad to hear I'm not insane.

I went out to the mall today where there's a Microsoft and ATT store. I tried yet another cover to no avail. The MS rep throws the cover on their demo 1020, works like a charm. I go over to the ATT store and they swap my phone. I go back to the MS store and slap my cover on and it starts charging. So I'm thinking great, problem solved. I come home and slap it on my flat charger and the light goes on and off repeatedly and then stays off (not charging). So now I wiggle the case around some more, put it on the plate, and it's charging.

I'm so pissed off about this at this point. If it's a design flaw then they need to make a better case and be done with it. It's already irritating enough that they get us psyched about wireless charging and we buy all the stupid chargers only to have the feature removed from the 1020 and having to buy this ridiculously stupid and expensive case but now it doesn't even work right.

cdodgela

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
With what I've found it seems that we, with wireless charging cover problems, are definitely in a small minority which is a good thing. Nonetheless, we shouldn't have to jump through hoops or figure the problem out ourselves to get it fixed. I actually like the size of my 1020 with the cover on, it protects it, it's about the same size as my 920 and the camera bump doesn't protrude with it on. I can understand making wireless charging an option to make the phone thinner which seems to be so important to some. I found that without the charging cover, my grip on the phone was not nearly as good as with it on.

I paid $299 for my 1020 upgrade. The camera case, charger cover and charger were all free. I had to wait an extra week for my phone but Microsoft compensated me for their online order delay screw up and I'm happy! I was aggitated for a little while until I figured out what I needed to do to get my wireless charging working.

samuch

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I called up Nokia support and they told me I could send in my charging cover to the depot for repair....

I explained repeatedly that I've tried 3 different covers and 2 different phones and he offered the same response. I said, "so basically you're saying there's nothing to be done." He just kept saying depot over and over.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I got one today when I first put it on I set it on the charging plate and got nothing. I tried it a couple of times and still nothing. I took the phone and with one hand I held the top and bottom of the phone. I have big hands I can reach the top and bottom with one hand. Then with the other hand I slid the charging cover up and then down again the millimeter of play it has in the cover. I then put the phone back on the charging plate and it worked fine. I thing you just need to wiggle the cover a little so the spring loaded pins on the cover can fall on the holes.

Uncled1023

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I have not had any of these issues. Just snapped it on as the instructions said, and it worked. Just make sure the top or bottom of the case and the phone align and you will be good.

cdodgela

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I got one today when I first put it on I set it on the charging plate and got nothing. I tried it a couple of times and still nothing. I took the phone and with one hand I held the top and bottom of the phone. I have big hands I can reach the top and bottom with one hand. Then with the other hand I slid the charging cover up and then down again the millimeter of play it has in the cover. I then put the phone back on the charging plate and it worked fine. I thing you just need to wiggle the cover a little so the spring loaded pins on the cover can fall on the holes.

I tried everything with mine, wiggle, tap, reseated the cover about 45 times, begged, anything I could think of. As soon as I opened the charging contact holes up just a little bit, I'm good with both of my wireless covers and all three chargers.. Support doesn't know what to do because it is an ever so minor (and rare) flaw in the wireless charging plate alignment of an otherwise perfectly functioning phone.
Then again, as more people get the wireless charging cases in their hands, we'll see if it continues to be a rare flaw.

Steven Curl

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I agree with built in, that's for sure. I'm thinking about getting the stickers for the Samsung and working on a custom case solution that doesn't have the finicky pogo pins. I'd rather not modify the phone too much more as I'd like to be able to resell it eventually.

rubin89

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I had the same thing and just fixed it. You need to CAREFULLY pull down the two prongs a bit which are attached to the charging cover. This will cause them to now make contact with the portion inside the phone to create the charge. I did this and it works perfectly now

nola75

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I just got mine and it worked flawlessly the first time I tried it. The delicacy of the mechanism as discussed in this thread makes me think it might not be the best choice as a permanent case though. I have the clear injection case from Amazon and that seems to provide better all around protection anyway. I worry about constant jiggling of the contacts if the case stays on throughout the day. Just a thought.

dtk31883

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I agree with built in, that's for sure. I'm thinking about getting the stickers for the Samsung and working on a custom case solution that doesn't have the finicky pogo pins. I'd rather not modify the phone too much more as I'd like to be able to resell it eventually.

Will the Samsung charging Coils provide the same amount of power needed for wireless charging? I was thinking about getting one and using it with another case instead of getting the wireless charging case? If you find one that fits the two pin connection and provides the correct amount of power please forward the link!!!

rubin89

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Like I said just CAREFULLY pull out the little metal stubs on the charging cover and it will work perfectly. It should look like this picture WP_20130809_16_43_04_Pro.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb