1020 owners, any overheating or battery issues discovered?

how1ard

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
1020 not available in the UK yet and having had an 808 I am very keen to upgrade to the 1020. Can any of you lucky enough to own the 1020 let us know if any of the 920's heating or battery issues (draining etc) have migrated over to the 1020. Thanks and happy snapping.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
1020 not available in the UK yet and having had an 808 I am very keen to upgrade to the 1020. Can any of you lucky enough to own the 1020 let us know if any of the 920's heating or battery issues (draining etc) have migrated over to the 1020. Thanks and happy snapping.

Think there shouldn't be any. They are more or less fixed with GDR2+Amber on my Lumia 920. Lumia 1020 comes with Amber so I guess that bit of software is fixed. However, gotta wait for someone who actually uses it in real life to comment!

how1ard

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Well that is great news for my 920, however the last two updates have supposed to have improved battery life and fixed the overheating and haven't made ANY difference. Really hope it's the case this time but I'm not holding my breath. :cry:

bruceabbott2

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I've owned a Focus, Lumia 920, and now the 1020 and I have to say the 1020's batterly life IMO is supurb. I used to have to charge my 920 about halfway through my day (heavy user) but my 1020 easily gets me through my work day and my evening with about 25-30% charge left by the time I plug it in to go to bed.

The only heat I notice is on the camera housing. It has a tendancy to get pretty warm when I'm constantly shooting video or taking a lot of pictures close together. Nothing serious though.

WinPho8Fan

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes, unfortunately I have experienced this problem on my Lumia 1020. I tried minimizing internet app activity, activating battery saver mode so it's always on and no luck--it overheats and drains even in standby mode with no usage. Still within 30 days purchase window at Amazon, so am replacing it hoping it is just a defective unit. Loving windows 8.

newavengers12

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Well, I have not felt heat. Don't know if it has te be with the fact that I am using the wireless charging case... But not at all... sorry to hear there are some folk having that problem...

how1ard

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Think there shouldn't be any. They are more or less fixed with GDR2+Amber on my Lumia 920. Lumia 1020 comes with Amber so I guess that bit of software is fixed. However, gotta wait for someone who actually uses it in real life to comment!
Not true I'm afraid, heating issues still present in many 920's after updating, mine included. 😞

bkydcmpr

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I occasionally have the overheating and battery drain issue. It seems certain app will trigger it even if I had turned off the background task, Tether-X Pro is one of the suspects, but there are definitely others. As a developer myself, I believe it's a bug in the OS or firmware not the app even though the app have triggered it.

lennyk1313

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
happens to my 1020 quite often. Can't pinpoint the cause, but can happen doing almost anything, browsing the net, using some apps, or taking pictures. And sometimes it will get in a loop that requires a reboot, otherwise the battery will drain quickly.

prrios

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Out of the box my 1020 battery was great. Now I have to charge it during the day so it won't die before 6:00 p.m. I'm not a very heavy user and assume its some app I downloaded. About to restore and see if that helps.

Ferazzz

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
My battery as of now (first charge) is mediocre at best. My 920 was alot,better but I'll give some time and see what happens.
Location off
WiFi off
Bluetooth off
And only four background tasks
Button click sounds off
Double tap to wake off
Glance is in peek

Hopefully after a couple of charges it will get better than this. I'll be lucky if I can get 8 hours low usage out of this.

Ferazzz

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Out of the box my 1020 battery was great. Now I have to charge it during the day so it won't die before 6:00 p.m. I'm not a very heavy user and assume its some app I downloaded. About to restore and see if that helps.

please let me know if that does anything for you. My battery also seems horrendous......

Ferazzz

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I just find,that using the device really kills my battery alot faster than any other device I've used. On standby its fine but once I start using it the battery really starts draining quickly. I was showing my buddy the camera for five minutes and did some photo editing and went from 74% to 70% in five minutes. Unreal.... I hoping its just a battery cycle and that because its only the first charge that it will get better. And it also does heat up near the camera when using it for a while. Anybody else experience any quick battery drain?

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Be careful about disabling location. If some app (like the stock maps app for example) wants to access your location but you've disabled it system-wide, it will not only nag you every time you start it up but it may also punish you by draining the battery for some reason. I'm not 100% sure about this but someone else on the forum mentioned it and my own observations seem to back it up.

Apps should really respect the user's decision and handle disabled location better. A mapping app is still extremely useful without needing to pinpoint your current location, and tons of other apps that want access to your location don't really need it. I wish we had the granular control over permissions that Android got in its latest update.

Ferazzz

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Be careful about disabling location. If some app (like the stock maps app for example) wants to access your location but you've disabled it system-wide, it will not only nag you every time you start it up but it may also punish you by draining the battery for some reason. I'm not 100% sure about this but someone else on the forum mentioned it and my own observations seem to back it up.

Apps should really respect the user's decision and handle disabled location better. A mapping app is still extremely useful without needing to pinpoint your current location, and tons of other apps that want access to your location don't really need it. I wish we had the granular control over permissions that Android got in its latest update.

I disable location when not in use since it does drain battery for nothing anyway and have no experienced this abnormal map battery drain I just find the battery is mediocre at best. I usually come home with around 30-40% left when my 920 had location on always and I had 45-50 left always so.......Anyhow tomorrow I am setting glace to Peek again to see what it does since today I set it off. I do find the phone get waaaayyyy to hot and am talking with Nokia about possible replacement.

imranpkm

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes, unfortunately I have experienced this problem on my Lumia 1020. I tried minimizing internet app activity, activating battery saver mode so it's always on and no luck--it overheats and drains even in standby mode with no usage. Still within 30 days purchase window at Amazon, so am replacing it hoping it is just a defective unit. Loving windows 8.

Is the problem solved?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss