Unlocking internet tethering on Unlocked 1020?

whatup12

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
hi all,

I want to buy 1020 (used my quantum until I lost it last year and then replaced with a focus). I am planning on buying it outright since want to unlock as will use it for travel a lot and saw that ATT is unlocking which is great. But with my focus, though it is unlocked and even with other sim cards in it, I cannot tether since it still tells me to contact ATT. Every once in a while, sims on some carriers in some countries (I have like 40-50 of them) will allow internet sharing...but pretty rare. I kind of hate this since in some places, the 3G/4G is way better than the wifi you can find.

So my question is will I be able to unlock 1020 tethering if I buy the phone from ATT. I am travelling to the UK next month and wanted to buy the 64gb version of telefonica carrier since I imagine this would be sim unlocked and tether unlocked--is that right? I also get that I will be paying a serious premium for this, but hope that I might be able to get VAT back when leaving which will take away some of the added pain. Is that wishful thinking?

Should I just buy from a MSFT store with the free camera grip?

Thanks for input!

whatup12

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks and that was a really helpful thread. One thing of which I am unsure after reading the thread is:
If I buy an unlocked phone from the UK and connect to ATT with ATT sim card in it, will internet sharing be locked? Ie, will it follow the sim or the phone?

whatup12

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Sorry--my question is ultimately: does it make any sense to buy this phone abroad? If not, that is great and will buy tomorrow. If any value in holding out because ATT has blocked certain features on their phones, that would be great to know.
Thanks!!

WinPho8Fan

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Internet Sharing on unlocked Nokia Lumia 1020

I just bought a Nokia Lumia 1020 at full price with no AT&T plan and unlocked it using cellunlocker.net. Everything works fine and I'm using it on T-Mobile with LTE and loving Windows Phone 8.

The only drawback I found so far is that the phone won't support tethering or "internet sharing" with other devices by creating a mobile hotspot. If you try to turn on internet sharing from the settings menu, you get a message to contact AT&T or dial 611. I called T-mobile Tech support and they suggested setting up the following :

1. From the Home screen, swipe left to Applications.
2. Tap Settings.
3. Scroll to, and tap access point. [no such option under Nokia 1020, but tapped on ?Cellular? instead and then on ?Add internet apn?]
4. Tap add.
5. Enter fast.tmobile.com into the following fields: [Only added to APN field]
o Connection name
o Access Point Name
o MMS Access Point Name
6. In MMS URL, enter http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc [Added to Proxy Server (URL) Field)
7. Tap Save.
8. Within the access point settings select the recently added APN to activate.
This unfortunately did not work. I no longer get a message to call AT&T, but I get an error stating that internet sharing is not available even though the LTE is showing up in the status bar for data.

I then found the following work-around on You Tube which allows tethering or internet sharing to work, but you have to downspeed the phone to 3G. :-(

1. Activate Field Test Function: ##3282#
2. Do not go into any of functions (you may make your phone inoperable).
3. Click on three dots at bottom right of screen to acces menu.
4. Tap on settings.
5. Change Network Type from Automatic to ?3G only?
6. Tap home button. (May see 4G instead of 3G or LTE for data speeds.)
7. Internet sharing now works.
8. To get LTE back, turn phone off. When radio is shut off, it resets back to LTE mode.

(YouTube Video Link: Lumia 1020 Unlocked - Internet Sharing - YouTube)

I guess this is better than nothing, but not optimal.

Looks like T-Mobile hasn?t properly calibrated their LTE network for the Lumia 1020 though in fairness to T-Mobile, the Lumia 1020 it is not one of their supported phones. Hopefully this will be resolved over time. Please reply to this post if you have a better solution. Thanks!

Flavio76

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
my internet tethering is working fine....bought from amazona, the 669u$ att branded version no contract...
got the unlock code by phone with att...

tgzgeorge

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Internet Sharing on unlocked Nokia Lumia 1020

I just bought a Nokia Lumia 1020 at full price with no AT&T plan and unlocked it using cellunlocker.net. Everything works fine and I'm using it on T-Mobile with LTE and loving Windows Phone 8.

The only drawback I found so far is that the phone won't support tethering or "internet sharing" with other devices by creating a mobile hotspot. If you try to turn on internet sharing from the settings menu, you get a message to contact AT&T or dial 611. I called T-mobile Tech support and they suggested setting up the following :

1. From the Home screen, swipe left to Applications.
2. Tap Settings.
3. Scroll to, and tap access point. [no such option under Nokia 1020, but tapped on “Cellular” instead and then on “Add internet apn”]
4. Tap add.
5. Enter fast.tmobile.com into the following fields: [Only added to APN field]
o Connection name
o Access Point Name
o MMS Access Point Name
6. In MMS URL, enter http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc [Added to Proxy Server (URL) Field)
7. Tap Save.
8. Within the access point settings select the recently added APN to activate.
This unfortunately did not work. I no longer get a message to call AT&T, but I get an error stating that internet sharing is not available even though the LTE is showing up in the status bar for data.

I then found the following work-around on You Tube which allows tethering or internet sharing to work, but you have to downspeed the phone to 3G. :-(

1. Activate Field Test Function: ##3282#
2. Do not go into any of functions (you may make your phone inoperable).
3. Click on three dots at bottom right of screen to acces menu.
4. Tap on settings.
5. Change Network Type from Automatic to “3G only”
6. Tap home button. (May see 4G instead of 3G or LTE for data speeds.)
7. Internet sharing now works.
8. To get LTE back, turn phone off. When radio is shut off, it resets back to LTE mode.

(YouTube Video Link: Lumia 1020 Unlocked - Internet Sharing - YouTube)

I guess this is better than nothing, but not optimal.

Looks like T-Mobile hasn’t properly calibrated their LTE network for the Lumia 1020 though in fairness to T-Mobile, the Lumia 1020 it is not one of their supported phones. Hopefully this will be resolved over time. Please reply to this post if you have a better solution. Thanks!

Hi

I followed your instructions, I'm with Rogers and can't get Internet sharing to work. Any ideas?

tgzgeorge

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
These instructions came from antiochian who was kind enough to do this. Does your rogers plan include tethering? Have you tried the access point app?

yes I confirm that my acct includes tethering. Strangely enough the access point app is not available for me probably because I'm in Canada, that was my last resort.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Sorry folks, I am on T-Mobile USA, so I don't know anything about Rogers other than to suggest you make sure your APN settings are perfect. Also, before I did this I hard reset to get rid of Access Point (and everything else). I could not make this work with Access Point. Someone on a different thread voiced a suspicion that Access Point was somehow initiating a carrier lock by AT&T on some features including Internet sharing. Might be bogus, but I am running with no Access Point and APN for both internet and MMS set through "Settings..Cellular"

I was also a sport and paid T-Mobile the extra $10/mo they want for 2GB internet sharing, but a lot of people that have just the plain $70/mo unlimited everything are telling me that they are able to access internet sharing using the 3G method. I felt it safer to pay for the plan because knowing T-Mobile, they'll find a way to brick the feature for people without the plan. They're good at bricking things - not much anything else..

One other thing I just thought of - T-Mobile completely refarmed their networks to 1900 4G/3G. This might be what made the difference.

Good luck!!

Last edited:

tgzgeorge

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Sorry folks, I am on T-Mobile USA, so I don't know anything about Rogers other than to suggest you make sure your APN settings are perfect. Also, before I did this I hard reset to get rid of Access Point (and everything else). I could not make this work with Access Point. Someone on a different thread voiced a suspicion that Access Point was somehow initiating a carrier lock by AT&T on some features including Internet sharing. Might be bogus, but I am running with no Access Point and APN for both internet and MMS set through "Settings..Cellular"

I was also a sport and paid T-Mobile the extra $10/mo they want for 2GB internet sharing, but a lot of people that have just the plain $70/mo unlimited everything are telling me that they are able to access internet sharing using the 3G method. I felt it safer to pay for the plan because knowing T-Mobile, they'll find a way to brick the feature for people without the plan. They're good at bricking things - not much anything else..

Good luck!!

thanks no worries, its not that important to me.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi

I followed your instructions, I'm with Rogers and can't get Internet sharing to work. Any ideas?
Did you check the crude method mentioned by someone during portico updates? Check this -
Go to Settings > Keyboard. This will show you keyboard language. Add any new (it was mentioned to add French, in my case I added German). It will prompt for an update for hte phone, should take about 5 mins to install and once restarts, check for the Internet Sharing option. it should work now.
My case was NL 820, this method worked perfect (though I know that I dont have data sharing in my plan with my carrier).

tgzgeorge

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Did you check the crude method mentioned by someone during portico updates? Check this -
Go to Settings > Keyboard. This will show you keyboard language. Add any new (it was mentioned to add French, in my case I added German). It will prompt for an update for hte phone, should take about 5 mins to install and once restarts, check for the Internet Sharing option. it should work now.
My case was NL 820, this method worked perfect (though I know that I dont have data sharing in my plan with my carrier).

yeah I tried your suggestion and didn't work. Thx

Tim Maheras

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I have Lumia 1020 unlocked from at&t . Had a problem with mms until I did the ##3282# fix but I'm still not getting internet sharing. Any other methods?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa