Unlocking internet tethering on Unlocked 1020?

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey guy I am not sure if I should respond here since I am about to pull the hair out of my head and spent all morning and afternoon without success trying to make my 1020 work properly on the
Rogers network.
.... SO frustrating

Not to sound snotty but this definitely doesn't belong here. Subject here is trying to get tethering to work on an unlocked phone, so having your post here, people that might be able to help you won't even see it.

Suggest you copy, open a completely new threat "How do I get Lumia 1020 to work on Rogers???" paste everything you wrote above, post then come back here and delete from this thread.

I think by treating it as a new thread you will get much better results.

Good luck!

Ferazzz

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Not to sound snotty but this definitely doesn't belong here. Subject here is trying to get tethering to work on an unlocked phone, so having your post here, people that might be able to help you won't even see it.

Suggest you copy, open a completely new threat "How do I get Lumia 1020 to work on Rogers???" paste everything you wrote above, post then come back here and delete from this thread.

I think by treating it as a new thread you will get much better results.

Good luck!

Just did that! Good point man

ranger604

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello all. First post. Woohoo.

I've attempted all that has been posted here for attempting to get a formerly AT&T phone onto Bell Mobility. (Canada). No luck. Bell blames AT&T and vice versa.

That said, my question is this; I tried the link (a few posts above) to get to the Access Point app from Nokia. It's there, I download/install it, but it is mystically missing from my apps list. Any clues?

ranger604

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I retract my "Victory" statement. Tethering worked ONCE for me. Shortly after my post, it reverted back. Extremely frustrating. I miss my tethering desperately.

One thing I can add; I did install the APN app that is 'hidden' from the app store (in Canada) and it fouled up my ability to MMS text. I had to reset my phone to bring it back.

Are there any other suggestions?..

whatup12

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi ranger,

how did you install the APN app? I have looked for it but the network setup app says that it is only good for 800x480 (ie wp7). I got internet sharing working in Ghana last week with local sim card on my unlocked 1020, but not with rogers sim card or att sim card. oh, and then cracked my phone (but have the msft insurance).

anyhoo--yes, this remains difficult!

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I had something weird as well..

After going along this past month and a half using the phone turn off to reset the radio after setting to 3G for Internet sharing, my radio stopped resetting itself! Even on soft reset, I couldn't bring it back.

Tried Hard Reset - restore. The phone then 'restored' my being at 3G and would not reset back to LTE.

So then Hard Reset again with Fresh Start - ie complete erasure - and LTE came back.

So am too chicken now to try the Internet Sharing again; contenting myself to do without this feature until my next phone..

ranger604

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Found the APN app from a previous post in the same thread (above). I have since found it from another source that I'm going to try once I get home and have the ability to 'restore' my phone if the need arises.

I've done a lot of research into this, and I think I've pieced together the following;

• Even though your AT&T phone is "unlocked", all aspects of it may not actually be so. (ie, "internet sharing")

• By using the Access Point app, it will remove the "locked" piece of the the "internet sharing", but renders my MMS txt unusable. SMS still works.

• You can tell the Internet Sharing is 'unlocked' when the number of allowed devices listed changes to 8 from 5. (ie 5 = still locked, 8 = unlocked)

• Even if I were to get this to a point where it's working (again), it sounds like it's extremely tempermental and dodgy

• The one (and only) time I got it to work the screen did say LTE, so I'm not convinced that it must be in 3G in order to work (on Bell, anyway)

So. Getting to work once means 'it can be done', and that's what's driving me. I'm going to give the Access Point thing another shot with some different advice I got elsewhere.

The fact that it never worked after that one time and I didn't change any settings leads me to believe that Windows/Nokia need to address something in the next update.

Any comments/observations/ideas/ridicule welcome.

Last edited:

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I doubt they will.. since the phone was optimized for use with AT&T, if you unlock and go elsewhere you're on your own. I don't think they care about any problems occuring with unlocked (even if it were found than more 1020s were owned as unlocked vs operating on AT&T)..

nm7s9

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I bought a 1020 from the MS store in Las Vegas. They unlocked it and internet sharing worked perfectly using a t-mobile pre paid sim.
Back in Australia my Telstra sim worked perfectly (internet sharing) in my unlocked Lumia 920 but when this sim is put into the 1020, I get the dreaded "go to At&t or call 611: message.
Weird

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I bought a 1020 from the MS store in Las Vegas. They unlocked it and internet sharing worked perfectly using a t-mobile pre paid sim.
Back in Australia my Telstra sim worked perfectly (internet sharing) in my unlocked Lumia 920 but when this sim is put into the 1020, I get the dreaded "go to At&t or call 611: message.
Weird

I bought from an AT&T store - Yellow Model - and then later AT&T Customer Service provided me the unlocking code.

Curious - when you picked yours up from the MS store, did your phone and box come with AT&T branding or just plain Nokia?

nm7s9

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
My 1020 from MS store is AT&T branded (logo watermark apps - the lot). MS rang someone (not sure if at&t or Nokia) who provided the unlock code.
However I may have misled everyone, since now I'm not sure whetherI ever had the 1020 tethered. I certainly had the 920 tethered with a t-mobile sim and also a Telstra sim.

Ranger604, I feel that the issue must either be that I don't have the EXACT same settings for internet apn and/or mms apn on the 1020 as I do on the 920, or that AT&T have nobbled the firmware on the branded 1020 so that it will never tether unless you pay AT&T some more money. I reckon the second one is the problem (AT&T firmware issue)

Since I'm in Australia and I can't use AT&T anyway, I think I'm going to be right out of luck. Neither Telstra, Nokia or AT&T is going to help me. I'll try e-mailing the MS store in Vegas where I bought it and see if I can get some technical advice from them but I'm pretty sure they'll say it is an AT&T issue. Maybe I'll see if they can convert it to a non branded phone by firmware replacement - does this sound plausable?

I'll play around with APN settings but doubt I'll have any more luck than others on this list. I'll also see if I can deduce whether I ever had the 1020 tethered but the more I think about it the more I'm sure it has never worked.

Cheers
Nick

nm7s9

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I checked my pc wireless operational logs which comfirmed that I had only tethered to the 920 not the 1020.

However, I just downloaded Nokia Access Point, created a dummy switched to it then back to Telstra and Internet sharing works like a charm.
Rebooted phone - all still good (touching wood.....)

This would have bee a show stopper for me and I would have had to have gone back to the 920 and lost a great camera - WHEW!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa