Camera Flash with 1020-yellowish images-how to fix?

Lucas Lytle

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I am noticing the same issue....pictures of my daughter turn out really yellow with the flash and always have red eye/ some type of glowing eyes. with the flash off sometimes the pictures turn out to dark.....

I would love to know a work around as well.

RRasp

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Same here. Outside shots are ok but sometimes inside shots are too yellow or to dark. Funny thing is, sometimes when you see what you are taking in the viewfinder (screen) or even the quick view right after you take the shot, the picture will look a lot better and brighter. As soon as you see it thru camera roll, its darker and sometimes yellow....

Desmoface

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Try manually adjusting the white balance, try all the options for white balance and see what works better. Fluorescent works best with my Canon DSLR as it also imparts a yellowish hue to indoor pictures.

Steve

Last edited:

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I have it on automatic. That should produce non-overly yellow photos. When i check the white balance, there is no flash setting. I hope they update it soon. Glad to know it isn't just me.

Desmoface

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
That's the problem, most camera's, even dslr's, have trouble indoors using auto white balance. You have to find a subject, indoors, and take a picture using each of the different white balance settings to see which one produces the effect you prefer. Don't rely on the auto white balance setting built into the phone/camera. Then, once you find out which setting works for you, manually select this setting whenever you are shooting indoors.

I'll give you an example in a bit once I break out my ole canon dslr.

Steve

I have it on automatic. That should produce non-overly yellow photos. When i check the white balance, there is no flash setting. I hope they update it soon. Glad to know it isn't just me.

Desmoface

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Ok, just threw this together so I'm not opening myself up to photographic criticism, but here's a shot using auto white balance
asshot2_zps18661809.jpg

Here's the same shot using the Fluorescent white balance setting
Fluorescent_zpsff9299fc.jpg

Needless to say, the second image is a lot more accurate. These shots were done with my Canon DSLR, but the same applies to any camera. Some cameras do a better job with auto white balance than others. My Olympus OMD E-M5 has pretty good auto white balance so I don't really have to mess with it. Apparently, the 1020 could use a little tweeking.

Steve

Last edited:

videian

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Have the same problem. Going into the white balance setting should not be the fix, you should be able t rely on the auto settings for quick candid shots.

Desmoface

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I agree, you shouldn't have to manually adjust the white balance, but just for the heck of it, try it, I'm curious to see if you can adjust it to your liking.

I'm not sticking up for the 1020, as some companies/cameras get white balance right. But taking Canon, for example: They are probably the most recognizable/used dslrs for professional photography, and they are quite expensive - they don't get indoor white balance right. Unfortunately, you may have to tweek the 1020 a bit to get the desired result.

I'd love to get my hands on a 1020 to put it through it's paces, but I'm waiting until the price drops.

Good luck.

Steve

Have the same problem. Going into the white balance setting should not be the fix, you should be able t rely on the auto settings for quick candid shots.

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I have Nikon D90, Digital SLR. For white balance, it has a setting for using the flash. Im betting an update will come to the 1020 within 2 months to add this setting.

Thanks for the tip on the workaround. It's better. However, the 1020 belongs to GF and I am too scared to tell her that she needs to set it manually. :grin:

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree there seems to be some pretty agressive post-processing taking place. The photo actually looks better soon after taking the shot than it does after it's been processed. I don't see the yellow tint at that point. It also seems like the sharpness is altered quite a bit too.I tested each of the white-balance settings with the same lighting and each one comes out with a different level of the yellow tint. The fluorescent setting doesn't seem as bad, but it's still yellow-ish.I've left a review on the Pro Cam app stating my concern with the post processing agressiveness. I think this is something that can easily be tweaked.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
My Sony SLT-A77 (considered a "Pro-sumer" camera) doesn't have a setting for flash white balance either, and misses the flash white balance sometimes, too. I've found that setting the L1020 to use fluorescent seems to work pretty well (it's the bar looking one with lines coming out from it, just below the light bulb one). I'd say, if you're going to use flash, that's the best one to get white balance correct. The light bulb option also works pretty well. ;)

Just my $0.02.

lesd777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes im glad I found this thread, as it's definitely an issue. flash indoors gives off a massive yellowish tint. I'll play around with the settings but damn I had to delete quite a few pics because the tint was just aweful.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone tried just not using the flash? I mean, one of the main selling points of these Nokia phones is their ability to take awesome low light pics without using a flash. Try using "Night portrait" under scene settings or just crank up the exposure and/or slow down the shutter speed (and use a tripod). I set my ISO to 100 for indoor low light shots also..

I've had my 920 for almost a year now (getting the 1020 soon!) and I don't think I've ever even used the flash once...

dogfacedsoldier

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
If you are going to be taking a lot of indoor photo's (still life etc...) I would suggest investing in a Photographer's Gray Card. Most are a neutral gray on one side and white on the other. The problem I see is that the camera is not getting a good white reference from indoor scenes, and so cannot properly make the correct adjustments. Using the white side of the Gary Card should give it the correct reflective light balance if you are using Auto. In a pinch you could also use a piece of 8X10 printer paper for your reference. Hardly ideal, but a quick remedy until Nokia can tweek the Auto settings. Now, just need to do some tests.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
It seems taking photos using the flash makes the subjects (people) look yellowish. How are u guys dealing wth that?

One silly question, where are your hands when using the flash?

Reason I ask, it is a very powerful flash for a phone and I noticed that if I had my left hand holding the phone and overlapping a bit, it would cast a yellowish color, create some artifacts, due to your fingers reflecting light. Also, if there are reflections of the flash, you get strange WB issues. Hopefully one of the areas that improves with inevitable firmware fixes...

classicrokr

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Same problem here. The interesting thing is that the 920 had auto white balance pretty good. With or without a flash there is a problem with the 1020 auto white balance and still playing with tweaking the settings manually - but it appears to be a problem.
This thread in the Nokia Support Forum was responded to by a moderator who acknowledged a fix is in the works. I hope so but we will see.

Nokia 1020 Flash gives Yellow Tint - White Balance... - Nokia Support Discussions

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I gotta say, I'm a little disappointed in the post processing going on with this device. It totally changes the colors tones. You can watch it happen if you pay attention. Even without the flash, alot of indoor shots turn yellowish after its processed. They look great that 1sec before the processing sets in.

Rhuan

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
There's a lot of people leaving their opinion without even having a Nokia 1020 here. I have one and I gotta say that I'm disappointed with this yellowish tint problem. I bought the phone because of its camera, and they say that the xenon flash would be better, but I compared my photos with a Samsung S3 and the S3 was much better. This pissed me off. Videos at night is just horrible. If I need to edit my photos everytime, then sorry, but it's just crap.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs