Aperture Priority on 1020

wb3052

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm planning to get this phone ( when it becomes available) so that I don't have to bring my Pana GX1 with me so often. In fact I just got an 8x on the cheap to see if I can live with Windows Phone 8, because I think the camera on the 1020 is worth whatever "sacrifice" that I may need to make.
However It doesn't appear to me that the Pro Cam app supports any aperture control which is my favorite mode on my GX1. The settings available are pretty much the same as what is available on the old N9 except for shutter speed.

Just a question for lucky owners of the 1020, how do you change the aperture of the 1020? Or is the sensor still too small such that there is no point in controlling the aperture for the "bokeh"?

Disclaimer: I'm not a photography enthusiast just like the quality of my pics on my phone to be better then they are now.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey wb3052, all camera phones have a fixed aperture. The 1020 has a fixed aperture of f2.2, which is why you can't change aperture settings, because it's more of a hardware manufactured thing. You can find out more about the camera phones and understanding them better to take better pictures here.

khunhorm

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Aperture is a physical setting that require more elements to attach to the camera unit.

No phone with camera capabilities can do that at the moment, except perhaps s4 zoom (not sure), if you consider that's a phone anyway.

wb3052

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Ok Thanks all especially Muerssig for the useful article. Never realized about the fix aperture. I though that since some smartphones provides scenery mode, they could adjust the aperture for the required DOF just like point and shoots.

wb3052

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
The second price you pay: complexity. Nokia has, in its inscrutable Finnish wisdom, decided to break up the camera app into three pieces. The main app is called Nokia Pro Cam. It puts controls like white balance, ISO (light sensitivity), exposure, shutter speed and manual focus (but, oddly, not aperture) right on the touch screen.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I felt like an ***** after starting this thread but hah.. even a New York Times tech columnist can make the same mistake as I did in assuming camera phones had adjustable apertures. He had very warm praise for the camera but naturally being an Apple aficionado(sheep?) he had to put his foot on WP8's face a bit :).

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/15/t...-to-an-oddball-phone.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven