What Are You Keeping as a Backup Phone?

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
As good as this phone is, there is always the possibility that something will send it back to Nokia for repair or replacement - Nokia had to replace my 808 Pureview once.

So I think it's prudent to keep something else around that is ready to go just in case.

I actually have two:

I. Nokia 521:
When I first bought this, I thought I would be getting rid of it as soon as the 1020 was available. The two months I did use impressed me - operation is flawless, just not fancy. The humble little non-Zeiss camera takes decent photos and video - surprisingly decent for an entry level cheapy phone! In fact, I get better pictures from this than I ever did from either my Lumia 800 or Lumia 900. Now, even without a SIM card installed, while my 1020 is charging, I can use this over WiFi to update apps, surf the web, etc. All of my accounts are up to date and the phone is ready to go in the event I need to transfer my SIM from the 1020 for any reason. In short, this is a powerful little workhorse that is very convenient to keep around.

II. Nokia 6010:
This started as a fun project - I had never owned an older Nokia before, so I wanted to get a taste. In tinkering mood, I purchased a used beaten up phone from eBay for about $10. Then proceeded to look up OEM parts that are still surprisingly plentiful. After watching YouTube instructions and patiently waiting for one or two the parts I couldn't source from eBay to arrive from China, I replaced the battery (of course), back cover, front faceplate, keyboard, LCD Screen, and the top rubber power button.Then with an electric toothbrush, I thoroughly cleaned the blue sides and wound up with an old phone in almost brand new condition. So now I have a prepaid T-Mobile SIM installed and keep this as my emergency phone which I keep in my messenger bag. On stand by, the battery will last almost a month; if I turn it off, I have turned the phone on 3-4 mos after, and it will come on reading full charge. I even bought the matching hands-free ear bud - and the call quality is very decent. Sometimes on the fly when I needed 611, I have used the 6010 to call T-Mobile in order to be able to work on the 1020.

Last edited:

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
While I own a 920 not a 1020... my backup phone is a HTC Titan. Flagship from the year before the 920. Great phone and I thoroughly trust it. Has taken a pounding too and just shaken off the damage (how's about it flying out of my hand onto the floor, snapping the headphones out in the process, bouncing to each corner of the phone, landing screen facing the floor, sliding along the hard floor and then dinging a metal table leg at about 10mph. Tiniest nick in the corner of the removable back. WITHOUT A CASE). If I manage to blag a 1020 this HTC is still staying as my backup.

Steven Curl

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
My backup was recently upgraded from a Huawei Comet, to the Lumia 521. It's the perfect backup for the 1020, it's got all the apps I need/want when I'm in an area I don't trust having my 1020, and is literally the same experience. Replaceable battery on a backup device was also important to me.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Having lived through enough hurricanes in my 44 years in Florida (semi-native), I've learned that internet becomes non-existent. For that reason, I will keep my old Palm Treo until they pry my proverbial dead fingers from it. Even if it's molasses DUN, it's better than nothing.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I had my Sammy Focus as a backup until I lent it to my roommate. Now it doesn't work. The phone that I carried for two years she destroyed in two months. So I just keep $.35 in my pocket at all times and hope I can find a payphone.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have 3 backup phones: a Lumia 520, a Lumia 521, and an iPhone 5. I also have a 3G Nexus 7 that could be used in an emergency. I've never needed a backup yet, but I do have another active SIM card that I normally have in one of these 3 phones or the tablet as the mood strikes.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
My Nokia N8, however it uses a bigger SIM, so I would need at least the SIM-adapter to use it nowadays. I usually keep my previous phone as backup rather than selling them.

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Couple of androids and iphone 5. Right now my Lumia 1020 is backing them up as my Google Edition S4 is my daily driver. Still working through using my Lumia since I just got it last week. Two things I use a lot are missing, NFC automation with tags and Google Wallet tap and pay. Just found out I cannot use OTG with a flash drive to offload video and pictures. Trying to work through some issues with a few apps also. I will stick with it for a few weeks to see how it goes.

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
My backup phone is my Nokia N8 - I cut down my sim into a micro sim and I use it in my Lumia 900. I kept the original sim holder so if I need to go back to my N8, I will just secure the sim with some tape and place it back into my N8.

However, soon my back up will be both my Lumia 900 and N8 as I will be purchasing a Lumia 1020.

**My backup to my backup is a Nokia 2320 :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss