Transfering full-resolution photos...

Darkphibre

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I take a nifty big photo... but when I connect the USB cable to Windows 8 laptop I only get the 5MP version (3049x1706). I tried running the Windows Phone app for Desktop, but it doesn't find any bigger versions either. The files are labled "Pro", and I can open the picture on the phone in the Nokia Pro Cam app and zoom in much further, but they seem to be 5MP on the computer.

What am I doing wrong?

Darkphibre

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
This post is specifically in regards to the Lumia 1020's ability to capture 5MP and 38MP pictures simultaneously. I don't seem to see the 38MP images on the phone when trying to copy them over for printing.

Tim Dearden

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Go to your Pro Camera app and open up settings. Under capture mode make sure you have both 5 MP and 34 or 38 MP (depending on aspect ratio) selected instead of just 5 MP. It is possible you might just be taking 5 MP photos. If that isn't the problem then I am not sure.

Darkphibre

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
It is turned on... when I open one of these pictures that's 5MP on my laptop from within Smart Photo, and select Picture Info, it says "JPEG (5MP) + (34 MP)" and allows for much deeper zooming. Are people just seeing big 34MP images showing up when they sync with a cable? How are 5MP images different than 34MP images once copied (other than size)?

bikertomk

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I just connected via USB for the first time and discovered the same thing. What's happening is that the 41MP pics are NOT being automatically sync'd to the PC. They're still on your phone (if you haven't deleted). So far, all I can find is that they need to be manually copied to your PC (drag & drop or whatever you want). I also noticed they won't display thumbnails in file explorer, just a generic photo icon. But if you open the 41MP pic, it displays it properly.

Darkphibre

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Good Grief. Completely unintuitive to me... you have to open the phone up in Windows Explorer and drag the files as if it's a USB drive (just as you describe) to get the high resolution versions. I was on vacation and took 1500 photos the first two weeks, but had to format the phone (thanks support) trying to fix an issue with focus. I thought I had copied everything over, but then realized the next day that the files seemed rather small. At least it takes great 5MP photos too. :eek:rly:

Tim Dearden

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, the only way to get to the full quality image is to connect through USB cable to your computer. When you do that and go into the pictures folder you should see two of each image: a over sampled 5 MP picture and a full quality 34 or 38 MP picture that has the exact same name with "_highres" added to the end. I wish that the email app and skydrive upload gave you the option to either email or upload the full quality image. It would be much more convenient than connecting to your computer every single time.

Darkphibre

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm just shocked that the bigger files aren't copied by the Windows Phone applications when they "synchronize" the laptop with the phone.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the only way to get to the full quality image is to connect through USB cable to your computer. When you do that and go into the pictures folder you should see two of each image: a over sampled 5 MP picture and a full quality 34 or 38 MP picture that has the exact same name with "_highres" added to the end. I wish that the email app and skydrive upload gave you the option to either email or upload the full quality image. It would be much more convenient than connecting to your computer every single time.

Just upload them to ATT locker via easy upload. You can configure the ATT locker to do it over wifi. Downloading files from ATT locker on your desktop browser is pretty simple.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium