Old Guy Newbie Question w/ unlocked and wifi option

Russ Burke

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Still one of those dinosuars that still have no cell phone, and to be honest really have no need for one. But this nokia 1020 lumia really has my intrest as the camera is just awesome looking. So want to get this for that option, and even maybe a few games, and being able to transfer photos to my computer (not windows 8, but 7). So wondering if I buy the phone with no contract can I still use it as mostly normal if I have wifi access? Kind of like with my ipad3, I only have it for wifi and can do most anything. Thanks

Russ

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you can use it with full access to everything through WiFi. I have a 620 that I use as a Windows version of an ipod. Make sure to put it in airplane mode so you don't get annoying popups about not having a SIM card / cell connection. Once in airplane mode, you can turn WiFi, Bluetooth and NFC on individually

Russ Burke

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Ok thanks guys. One more question, can i use phone if I get those wifi phone apps like with ipad I have Line2, which is a real phone and text app. Or maybe even use my magicjack line with this?

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any experience with those apps to tell you if you can use them or not, but you could probably accomplish the same thing with Google Voice (though I'm not a proponent of Google).

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
If you want to do phone calls over wifi, Skype is another option. It seems to work pretty well on WP8 for me. There is a cost. $3/month to make unlimited outgoing calls, plus an additional $5/month if you want your own phone number to receive calls on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb