Straight Talk APN Lumia 1020 vs 920

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I purchased a Lumia 1020 from the Microsoft Store and got it unlocked by AT&T using a T-Mobile SIM; however, I'm now trying to use Straight Talk with this phone and can't get SMS or Internet working. I downloaded the access point app from Nokia and entered the same exact settings from my Lumia 920 - but they just don't work on the 1020. On the 920 I get the 'H+' icon, and on the 1020 I get a '4G' icon (but don't get any network connection). Has anybody successfully used a Straight Talk SIM in a 1020 here? What would the differences between the two be that I can't get it work on the 1020? Faulty SIM? Faulty Phone? Any other ideas?

Thanks!!!!

Note: I haven't tried using the SIM from the 920 in the 1020 yet, I will try that tonight to see if that helps - then I can either rule in or out a faulty SIM.

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, I cant be of any help, but I was going to try and get my 928 on Straight Talk today seeing has how the GDR2 update VZW included the option to change internet and MMS settings finally. Im kind of skeptical now if the 1020 wouldnt have the same settings as the 920, you wouldnt think any of the radios changed...

xsnapshot

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I too am trying to use the Nokia 1020 on straight talk!

I left mine locked, as you don't need it to be unlocked to use ST. However I just popped my SIM in, and SMS and internet worked straight away. MMS is NOT working though, and it's driving me crazy.

I have no idea how to fix it.

I also downloaded the accesspoint app. So far ST has been of no help. Hoping Nokia support can help.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I too am trying to use the Nokia 1020 on straight talk!

I left mine locked, as you don't need it to be unlocked to use ST. However I just popped my SIM in, and SMS and internet worked straight away. MMS is NOT working though, and it's driving me crazy.

I have no idea how to fix it.

I also downloaded the accesspoint app. So far ST has been of no help. Hoping Nokia support can help.

Let me know what you find out, I called up ST and they did something on their end and the internet started working, but like you MMS is not working at all. MMS works fine on my 920 with the same settings, going to try switching out the SIM cards today and see if that reverses the situation or not.

xsnapshot

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm still having no luck with getting MMS working. I double checked the settings I had on my old Nokia 808 and tried to replicate them, but still no luck. I was wondering if it had to do with the fact that I'm locked still, but you are unlocked. I have an unlock code I can use if need-be, but it doesn't seem like that will fix anything.

Any progress evilrobot?

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm still having no luck with getting MMS working. I double checked the settings I had on my old Nokia 808 and tried to replicate them, but still no luck. I was wondering if it had to do with the fact that I'm locked still, but you are unlocked. I have an unlock code I can use if need-be, but it doesn't seem like that will fix anything.

Any progress evilrobot?

I unfortunately haven't been able to test switching out the sims yet due to my wife working nights the past few days (the 1020 is hers), but I otherwise haven't made any progress. Having the phone unlocked doesn't seem to make any difference, and the exact same settings work perfectly in my (also unlocked) 920. She is off today so I will try to get them switched out tonight and let you know if that has any effect at all, but I'm not holding my breath.

xsnapshot

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I've got MMS working!!!!!

Here is exactly what I did.

1.) Go to Settings-> Cellular -> Add MMS APN (or EDIT MMS APN if you've already added one)
2.) Type in the following

APN: att.mvno
WAP: 66.209.11.33
WAP port: 80
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMSC port: 80

*save* reboot

3.) Download the Access Point app
4.) Add a new profile.
5.) The data part is easy, but under MMS do the following
APN: att.mvno
Proxy address: 66.209.11.33
Proxy port: 80
MMSC address: http://mmsc.cingular.com
Network type: IPv4v6
Auth type: none

*save* reboot

6. Enjoy working MMS!

Good luck! I'm not sure if editing/adding both settings (normal APN setup, and Accesspoint setup app) is necessary, but I do know that it's working now and it wasn't before!

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
there is no need to use the access point app once you have them entered correctly in the default apn settings. one will just overwrite the other. The only advantage of using the access point app is if you use multiple SIMs and you need to flip between profiles quickly.

xsnapshot

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
there is no need to use the access point app once you have them entered correctly in the default apn settings. one will just overwrite the other. The only advantage of using the access point app is if you use multiple SIMs and you need to flip between profiles quickly.

Don't know what to tell ya. I tried entering all the information I had into the default APN settings prior to downloading the Accesspoint App. That never solved my problem. Once I switched the Network type to IPv4v6, from IPv4, it started working. (There is no option to change network type in the default settings fields)

civiccoconut

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Can you tell me which Straight Talk sim card to buy for the Nokia Lumia 1020? I have to assume the ATT compatible (GMS), but there is also TT-Mobile (CDMA).

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Can you tell me which Straight Talk sim card to buy for the Nokia Lumia 1020? I have to assume the ATT compatible (GMS), but there is also TT-Mobile (CDMA).

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the 1020 has the same radios as the 920 - so while it will work with T-Mobile (assuming that you either purchased it unlocked or had AT&T unlock it) you will only get 3G if the T-Mobile towers in your area have been refarmed to support the frequency that AT&T phones use (not likely unless you live a big city). You're probably better off with the GMS sim.

Also, the new straight talk GSM sims support LTE now - I ordered a new one for our 1020, hoping that might solve the MMS problem we are having with it. There is free overnight shipping on them right now so I should get it in tonight or tomorrow.

civiccoconut

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
On this forum there is information how to get MMS working. If you don't see it, I will copy and paste it to you. Let me know if you need the info.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
On this forum there is information how to get MMS working. If you don't see it, I will copy and paste it to you. Let me know if you need the info.

Thanks, but I've already tried all the different settings I could find on this forum and none of them work. I tried the new LTE sim and it still doesn't work. What is really strange is that I found out last night that if I switch the SIMs between my 1020 and 920 the MMS on BOTH phones work! Switching them back results in the 1020 not working again. For some reason the SIM for my wife's number doesn't let MMS work in the 1020. I'm at a loss as to what to do - she doesn't want to switch numbers with me :p

dratts

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I switched over to t-mobile from straight talk after spending several calls and many hours with st trying to get my Internet working on my iPhone. I was paying $45 and getting no internet. With t-mobile I'm only paying $30, but with pretty limited internet. I may switch over to their $50 plan, but I mostly use my 1020 for phone calls and the camera. I do my Internet surfing on my laptop and iPad. Straight talk customer support is virtually worthless in my experience.

yodies

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
evilrobot, did you ever get the LTE settings figured out? I just activated my new ST LTE (AT&T) SIM, and I've got no internet (and assume no MMS).

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
evilrobot, did you ever get the LTE settings figured out? I just activated my new ST LTE (AT&T) SIM, and I've got no internet (and assume no MMS).

Sort of. Starting a couple of days ago both the 920 and the 1020 both work perfectly without me doing anything. I just kept testing MMS every once in a while and the last time I tried it worked. Unfortunately, since I didn't do anything to make it start working I'm not super confident that it will continue working in the future - but as of right this second, everything is working fine.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Can you tell me how you changed the Network type in the Nokia 1020? Nothing is working for me right now. The phone is locked ATT with an ATT compatible sim for Straight Talk.

I don't think I changed the Network type. Our 1020 is unlocked, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I used the 'access point' app and added a new access point. access point | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Here are the settings I have:

INTERNET APN

Access Point Name:tfdata
Username:leave blank
Password:leave blank
Proxy Address:leave blank
Proxy Port: leave blank
Network type:IPv4
Authentication type:none

MMS APN
MMS Access Point Name:tfdata
Username:leave blank