Straight Talk APN Lumia 1020 vs 920

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Can you tell me how you changed the Network type in the Nokia 1020? Nothing is working for me right now. The phone is locked ATT with an ATT compatible sim for Straight Talk.

settings->cellular->network should have a listing. Select from the list.
Do you have access point installed and apn info added has needed for straight talk. You need to make it active in access point before it will show up under networks if not showing up under cellular networks

feraask

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I changed the Network type. Our 1020 is unlocked, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I used the 'access point' app and added a new access point. access point | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Here are the settings I have:

INTERNET APN

Access Point Name:tfdata
Username:leave blank
Password:leave blank
Proxy Address:leave blank
Proxy Port:leave blank
Network type:IPv4
Authentication type:none

MMS APN
MMS Access Point Name:tfdata
Proxy address:mms3.tracfone.com
Proxy port:80
MMSC address:http://mms-tf.net

UPDATE 10/28/13: Confirmed sending MMS works with the settings and info I used in the 10/27/13 update below.

UPDATE 10/27/13: Okay I seem to have got everything working including MMS (at least I am not getting any errors trying to send, I have yet to confirm they are actually being sent). I'm not sure what I changed that made it work but I first put the above settings into access point (and I had deleted my APN settings in the Windows Phone 8 cellular settings). Then restarted my 1020, then put new APN's in the cellular settings with the following info:

Internet APN
APN: tfdata

MMS APN
WAP Gateway: 66.209.11.33
WAP Gateway Port: 80
MMSC URL: mmsc.cingular.com
MMSC Port: 80

OLD: I've tried putting these settings into Access Point on my 1020 Locked to ATT and my data works fine (I get LTE) but I can't send any MMS. I haven't tried receiving MMS yet but I just keep getting an error saying it can't send for my pictures.

Anyone else getting MMS working with these settings?

Last edited:

sunnybyday

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Question for evilrobot, feraask or anybody who got AT&T LTE working on straight talk - what kind of speeds are you getting?

I got it working with above settings and my ATT Nokia Lumia 925 shows "LTE". However, speeds I am getting are in the 5mbps range, max I have ever got was 8mbps. My buddy with ATT postpaid gets over 20mbps consistently, at the same spot. He uses S3 and both of us tested it with speedtest apps on our respective phones.

I know this could be due to many reasons - Straight talk caps data speeds (say at 8mbps) or my settings are not okay or my phone has issues. Searched the internet and am yet to find any evidence that ST is capping LTE speeds. I am not a heavy user, but this low speed is driving me nuts. I switched from Tmobile mainly for higher LTE speeds when I need it and better, coverage, but my speed is lower than Tmobile Lumia 810 currently. Could my NL 925 have issues? I am curious to know what speeds others with Lumia 925 are getting on Straight talk.

feraask

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Question for evilrobot, feraask or anybody who got AT&T LTE working on straight talk - what kind of speeds are you getting?

I got it working with above settings and my ATT Nokia Lumia 925 shows "LTE". However, speeds I am getting are in the 5mbps range, max I have ever got was 8mbps. My buddy with ATT postpaid gets over 20mbps consistently, at the same spot. He uses S3 and both of us tested it with speedtest apps on our respective phones.

I know this could be due to many reasons - Straight talk caps data speeds (say at 8mbps) or my settings are not okay or my phone has issues. Searched the internet and am yet to find any evidence that ST is capping LTE speeds. I am not a heavy user, but this low speed is driving me nuts. I switched from Tmobile mainly for higher LTE speeds when I need it and better, coverage, but my speed is lower than Tmobile Lumia 810 currently. Could my NL 925 have issues? I am curious to know what speeds others with Lumia 925 are getting on Straight talk.

Ran the test early this morning on straight talk LTE on my AT&T Locked Lumia 1020 and got the following results:
wp_ss_20131028_0001.jpg

sunnybyday

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
That is very good speed you are getting! I have never see anything above 8mbps on my ATT Lumia 925 on Straight talk :(

Just to confirm, you have the below settings on both - cellular and access point? I only have access point settings, deleted the internet apn under cellular.

Internet APN

MMS APN

feraask

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That is very good speed you are getting! I have never see anything above 8mbps on my ATT Lumia 925 on Straight talk :(

Just to confirm, you have the below settings on both - cellular and access point? I only have access point settings, deleted the internet apn under cellular.

Internet APN

MMS APN

Not exactly. I first Added the following into Access Point and set it to active and restarted my phone:
INTERNET APN

Access Point Name:tfdata
Proxy Address:leave blank
Proxy Port:leave blank

MMS APN
MMS Access Point Name:tfdata
Proxy address:mms3.tracfone.com
Proxy port:80
MMSC address:http://mms-tf.net

Then I went into the cellular settings and used the settings you mentioned:
Internet APN

MMS APN

I ran another speed test today around noon and got about 10Mbps download. So the speed variations are probably just due to network congestion since I got 20+Mbps download around 2AM when I doubt there were as many people using the network.

Cristina2012

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I have an unbranded unlocked Nokia Lumia 920. I have an AT&T Compatible Straight Talk Sim Card !

When I took Straight Talk card and insert it would not give celullar option for APN

I installed access point app from windows :
[url=http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/access-point/ce3895c7-01d0-4daf-a4c3-25c10463942d]access point | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)[/url]

Once access point is installed go in Settings at the end you have Access Point.

Inside add a new profile + at the bottom

Straight Talk name

Internet APN: att.mvno
User Name: leave blank
Password: leave blank
Proxy server (URL): proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
Proxy port: 80

MMS APN: att.mvno
User name: leave blank
Password: leave blank
WAP gateway (URL): 66.209.11.33
WAP gateway port: 80

Below you will have a choice for the IPV .

I used IPV4V6 INSTEAD OF JUST IPV4
Also the MMSC address as http://mmsc.cingular.com

This should make it work .

If your wifi is on or off you may notice differences . it is strange how you have to play with the settings but it should work.

The setting for Straight Talk LTE SIM are different :

Someone posted them above. I honestly believe the trick with IPV4V6 Instead of IPV4 holds the key. But you should try both.

Last edited:

Ukyo

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE 10/28/13: Confirmed sending MMS works with the settings and info I used in the 10/27/13 update below.

UPDATE 10/27/13: Okay I seem to have got everything working including MMS (at least I am not getting any errors trying to send, I have yet to confirm they are actually being sent). I'm not sure what I changed that made it work but I first put the above settings into access point (and I had deleted my APN settings in the Windows Phone 8 cellular settings). Then restarted my 1020, then put new APN's in the cellular settings with the following info:

Internet APN

MMS APN

OLD: I've tried putting these settings into Access Point on my 1020 Locked to ATT and my data works fine (I get LTE) but I can't send any MMS. I haven't tried receiving MMS yet but I just keep getting an error saying it can't send for my pictures.

Anyone else getting MMS working with these settings?

Neither those settings direct from ST or your proposed settings work for me. I do get LTE but still can't seem to get MMS working... I'm afraid to even call ST support...

Gladstoner

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Neither those settings direct from ST or your proposed settings work for me. I do get LTE but still can't seem to get MMS working... I'm afraid to even call ST support...
I had to put a space then 1 after the apn to get my data and mms to work. Does not seem anyone else had my problem here. my apns are tfdata 1

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
have been using straight talk att sim with my unlocked ativ s for 4 months. for internet apn it's just tfdata. everything else blank except IP...IPv4v6. For mms settings here is a screen shot. not sure if having a samsung makes a difference. i didn't have to download an app since my phone was unlocked and it let me edit apn settings in cellular settings

Ukyo

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I had to put a space then 1 after the apn to get my data and mms to work. Does not seem anyone else had my problem here. my apns are tfdata 1

Tried that under internet APN and my data stopped working. Tried it on the MMS APN but still doesn't work...

have been using straight talk att sim with my unlocked ativ s for 4 months. for internet apn it's just tfdata. everything else blank except IP...IPv4v6. For mms settings here is a screen shot. not sure if having a samsung makes a difference. i didn't have to download an app since my phone was unlocked and it let me edit apn settings in cellular settings

My access point setting does not have WAP entries....

Ukyo

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Ok finally got it to work. I thought everyone was just using the access point app to make changes but saw that people were using the system > cellular > internet and mms apn settings. For those who didn't try that, it may work for you.

frizodanizzo

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I tried the above settings with the mms3.tracfone.com APN with the fields left blank mostly for data. Seems to work well on the Lumia 1020 and the lumia 925.

sugarsmax321

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
ok, so I have tried every configuration of settings for my apn's. I just spent 2 hours with ST techs who finally informed me my phone wouldn't get MMS or Data because "it's from China, and we don't support foreign phones." well, alrighty then. I got mad and boom, I had data and mms working in 5 minutes, no problem. Here's where I started and what I did:
I purchased an unlocked phone from GSM Nation in Sept,. a Lumia 1020. From the start had issues with mms, then data too. I purchased my sim from ST directly. This is what I did differently:
My phone, upon delivery, had in its Settings an ATT option. I never used it, thinking i HAD to input setting apn's and proxy numbers under ST . I always created a new name of ST and input my info that way. This time, I said screw it and chose the ATT option that popped up when I opened "access point" on my phone. Here's my settings, and once I put them in and rebooted, everything worked perfectly.
name: Alternate ST (LOL, in case it didn't work)
Access Point Name: tfdata
Proxy: 66.209.11.33
Port:80
Network:Ipv4
MMS APN ; tfdata
Proxy address:66.209.11.33
MMSC address; mmsc.cingular.com
network type: IPv4

And that's what worked for me. I did a happy dance, since I've had the phone for 2 months and couldn't get it to work right. If anything changes or quits working, I'll update that too. I almost switched to Gophone over this; this has been incredibly frustrating. But I absolutely love my 1020 and it was worth it if it solved the problem

person of interest

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I tried the above settings with the mms3.tracfone.com APN with the fields left blank mostly for data. Seems to work well on the Lumia 1020 and the lumia 925.

Apparently the connection name makes the difference. These are the settings I got after talking to customer service ( I know what you all are thinking, but the receptionist actually helped me out and got my MMS working)

Phone: Nokia Lumia 925 (RM-892 model international)

AT&T Micro-SIM 4G LTE (due to phone model I can only get HSPA+ speeds maximum)

Connection Name: Straight Talk

Internet APN
Internet Access Point Name: tfdata
Proxy address: mms3.tracfone.com
Port: 80
Leave other settings alone.

MMS APN
MMS Access Point Name: tfdata
Proxy address: mms3.tracfone.com
MMSC Address: http://mms-tf.net
Proxy port: 80
Leave other settings alone.

Those exact settings worked for me, hopefully it does for you all too.

Sent from Nokia Lumia 925.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Been using ST at&t sims on unlocked phones for 3+years. If you can get past the customer service issues, nothing beats the price! Have found using the Facebook page to send a "help ticket" is the way to go for problems.

Ukyo

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
ok, so I have tried every configuration of settings for my apn's. I just spent 2 hours with ST techs who finally informed me my phone wouldn't get MMS or Data because "it's from China, and we don't support foreign phones." well, alrighty then. I got mad and boom, I had data and mms working in 5 minutes, no problem. Here's where I started and what I did:
I purchased an unlocked phone from GSM Nation in Sept,. a Lumia 1020. From the start had issues with mms, then data too. I purchased my sim from ST directly. This is what I did differently:
My phone, upon delivery, had in its Settings an ATT option. I never used it, thinking i HAD to input setting apn's and proxy numbers under ST . I always created a new name of ST and input my info that way. This time, I said screw it and chose the ATT option that popped up when I opened "access point" on my phone. Here's my settings, and once I put them in and rebooted, everything worked perfectly.
name: Alternate ST (LOL, in case it didn't work)
Access Point Name: tfdata
Proxy: 66.209.11.33
Network:Ipv4
MMS APN ; tfdata
Proxy address:66.209.11.33
MMSC address; mmsc.cingular.com
network type: IPv4

And that's what worked for me. I did a happy dance, since I've had the phone for 2 months and couldn't get it to work right. If anything changes or quits working, I'll update that too. I almost switched to Gophone over this; this has been incredibly frustrating. But I absolutely love my 1020 and it was worth it if it solved the problem

What LTE speeds are you getting and where are you located? I don't have your APN settings but I don't want to mess w/ mine unless your speeds are much quicker as it took me forever to get everything working (mms, data, etc). Thanks!

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
@joe920...have used 3 different phones on ST and each time it took an hour or 2 for the new apn settings to "kick in". This last time with my ativ s the mms didn't work until the next day. Once mms and data start working,though,I never have another problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster