Planning on getting this, but I have a few questions about the whole activation/contract thing.

LyokoNinja

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Normally TV ads do nothing to make me want the products they advertise, but the Lumia 920 wedding (I think - they made fun of some Android device's huge screen) commercial some months ago made me look into the WP8 platform. To be honest, I had no idea it existed or that Nokia was still relevent until I saw the commercial. I was still stuck with my two-year contract at the time, so I had to wait. In the meantime, the 1020 showed up and I decided I'd get that instead of the 920. Anyway, to the topic in the thread title.

I plan on getting the 1020 at a nearby Microsoft store, but I don't exactly know how the procedure works there. Do they handle upgrades like an AT&T store or authorized retailer would? I really want that camera grip for free, and I saw something about a $50 coupon if you go with a two-year contract. What is this coupon for? The MS store? The Windows (Phone 8) Marketplace?

However, I've read that you end up paying for the phone twice-over or something if you do go into a two-year contract. I don't doubt it, considering how greedy AT&T/Verizon/etc. are (Stop the Cap is an interesting, if rage-inducing blog, like the EFF's site, if you're interested), but I just want some clarity on the topic.

Also, are there any touchscreen shortcuts that are the same between iOS and WP8? I feel like a list of those would be more helpful than a list of the changes.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
They should be able to do the upgrade. You can do it on their site, and they have the computer software to do it in store. I was able to get the camera grip and $50 gift certificate without a contract. Some people had to fight for it, but you have a new contract coming up so it shouldn't be an issue. It's not a coupon, by the way, it's a gift certificate you can use in a Microsoft store (and only brick and mortar, not online or over the phone, which I find ridiculous).

Not sure about the shortcuts, as I've had limited experience with iOS. Usually just play with my sister's phone when she visits me, or I her, which is unfortunately little (she lives in CO and I in TX).

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Could you define touchscreen shortcuts?
If you're going to refer to the icons on iOS, of course they're going to be different.

Practically speaking, you could unpin everything on the Start Screen to get an iOS-like experience (i.e. just an app list).

LyokoNinja

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Okay, thanks for the clarification on the contract/gift certificate.

As for shortcuts, I meant like how double tapping a part of a page in Safari on iOS zooms in on that element, like say a picture or a specific frame.

And nice Cirno avatar. I suck at Touhou, so her title really is accurate so far.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Okay, thanks for the clarification on the contract/gift certificate.

As for shortcuts, I meant like how double tapping a part of a page in Safari on iOS zooms in on that element, like say a picture or a specific frame.

And nice Cirno avatar. I suck at Touhou, so her title really is accurate so far.
Double-tapping in IE will zoom in on a certain element, just like Safari but a bit less accurate and a bit slower.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment!

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
The coupon/gift card you get from the Microsoft Store is a Microsoft Store gift card. When I got my phone, it could be applied to the purchase of the phone itself, though I do not know if that policy changed as there were a lot of things going on during the launch day. Regardless, I used it to cover the purchase of a wireless charging cover, and applied the remainder of the gift card to the phone purchase. Certainly not a bad deal.

The Microsoft Store is an authorized AT&T dealer so they can process your upgrade like an AT&T store would. This means that an authorized user of the account needs to be present to conduct this transaction. You pay for the phone and any accessories at the time of purchase, and a $36 upgrade fee is applied to your next bill. Same deal everywhere you go.

As for paying for the phone twice over, a contract is not a bad way to go in order to defer the upfront cost of a phone. You are going to have to pay for your AT&T service anyway, so if AT&T is helping you pay for your phone upfront, and you don't plan on switching carriers in the next 2 years, then take the contract and enjoy your device. If you bought the device full price, you would pay around $650-$700 at the time or purchase and still pay the exact same amount of money if you stuck with AT&T for 2 years, so its more expensive to buy it outright if you have no intention of leaving AT&T. Buying it full price gives you the option to leave AT&T at any time without any breach of contract or termination fees, still keep your device, and avoid an upgrade fee.

Its up to you. Enjoy your device either way!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo