Otterbox wireless charging mod

sadude69

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Just to add to this thread, I installed wireless charging into my SPECK case for the 1020. I followed the method used by this post on:
AAWPDIY Wireless Charging wallet case for Nokia Lumia 1020

If you go into the comments, you will see some pictures as well as dialogue between the original creator and myself. The alignment was hard but now that its working, I love it. Honestly internal wireless charging would be the best as I don't want a case but the SPECK case is growing on me.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I just did this, and alignment was easy. Let the wireless charging shell do the work for you. :) You don't have to actually tear out the coil, just peel off the entire inside section of the shell and stick it right to the back of your case. The existing adhesive will keep it in place (as well as pressure from the case), but you can still shift it around a bit to be sure they connect. Worked the first time on mine, and took one realignment on my wife's.

Throw this part away!
NzYAotNl.jpg

Note adhesive still there and usable to keep it stuck to your new case. I peeled off the heat shield but you could re-use it if you want and aren't worried about extra bulk.
tsf2bWXl.jpg
k8FjuSyl.jpg

Line it up real nice, the camera opening makes this pretty damn easy.
VT2vaaGl.jpg

Watch the connectors as you close it up, if you're slow and careful you probably will get it right the first time.
juzcKOhl.jpg

Yay done. As you can see it looks perfectly normal from the outside but in terms of this case actually helps bump the case out a little to protect the exposed camera better.
7slhE0ul.jpg

Note the circuit board through the hole, plug that up with heat shielding or something.
wItqb8ol.jpg

$40 shell: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2442385
$7 case: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2442385

I can't think of any reason you couldn't do this for a 925 either.

sadude69

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Nicely done...I used the same technique but for some reason in the SPECK case the alignment was a bit harder. I really don't understand why the case makers left that opening there, it makes no sense. Otherwise I would have gotten a poetic case but oh well...

benohanlon

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
@oldpueblo thank you! What a legend you are for posting this! I just followed this through with my Otterbox case and it worked perfectly. I am so grateful. It charges a little weird (my charging plate is flat and the case makes it over-sized but it works!). I never have to take it out of the case again!

anon(8858764)

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I have been on day 2 of tearing my CD-6033 case apart and installing the receiver into my Speck Candyshell case. Works great! I used some scotch tape to keep the pins in place and connected to the phone. No heat issues. Now I have great protection of my phone and wireless charging!! I order a second DT-901 in black from dailysteals for $29, shipped!! Now, Windows 8.1
Thanks eveyone for having this info and showing how freaking easy it is. My wife of course rolled her eyes as to why I would destroy a perfectly good case, then I showed her. Rolled her eyes again. LOL

Sohan24

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Cubanaso & oldpueblo for the instructions and advice!

I bought an Otterbox Defender and a wireless charging case for the 1020 when it was on sale at AT&T online after seeing this discussion a few months back. (This was before I bought my 1020.) As soon as I got it I couldn't wait to do this mod. The first few times I positioned it, the coils weren't pressing hard enough against the contacts and was making the case bulge, so I cut out the foam in the lower middle of the case's back and pasted the coils there. It took me a few hours to get this all right, but since then I have not had any issues wirelessly charging the phone. In these 2-3 months, I've not used my microUSB cable more than twice, and that was to only sync pictures and music to and from my PC. The conveniences of not having to baby my smartphone and having it fully charged always (I just leave it on the charging plate while at my desk) have been great, and makes being a 1020 owner even more enjoyable!

BeingBoston121

Sep 25, 2003
Visit site
I'm so happy I found this thread. I'm going to buy a quality case for my 1020 and do this mod!

I'm hoping to have the case contain the wireless charging and have it come off when I need to so that I can swap it out for the camera grip when needed.

Best of both worlds!

vanquishedagain

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

Diego Sepe

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Guys I've seen a lot of iq-stiker for Samsung devices, it is possible to use one of them with our great Lumia 1020, isn't it? Maybe with a silicon case. I've the same problem, here isn't easy to find the official qi charger cover, help me.

Diego Sepe

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
I do wonder if the 925 charging shell could be used instead (obviously not the whole backing), its $15 instead of the cheapest (by far) I've found for the 1020 at $25

Same thing, here in Italy I can't find the original Lumia 1020 qi case, but a lot of Lumia 925 &720 cases, is it possible to use instead the 1020 one?

volpenger

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Nope... 925/720 qi coil has 3 contacts, while 1020 has 2 contacts.... so has 925/720 coil a ground contact? In this case you should be able to remove the unnecessary contact...

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Just performed a similar mod with my Speck Candyshell case for my 1020, referring to this thread for details. Installation was a bit difficult, if not nerve-wracking at times, but hopefully it holds together (as I want to be able to safely remove my phone from the case and swap out with the Camera Grip that I also purchased). I'm skeptical of my own handiwork, and I wouldn't call myself dexterous either which is why I created this post (for those like me, who can't DIY for the heck of things :p). Here's what I did:

- First I tore the case apart like in oldpueblo's video, bending one corner of the case back and getting a flathead underneath, slowly peeling away the plastic on top.

- Then, I removed the qi coil and the heat shielding (very very carefully).

- This was the tricky part - it took a day or two to figure out how to align the connectors (seemed a little more difficult with this case for some reason, but this is the method I went with). I stuck on the heat shield so that the adhesive side originally stuck to the coil faces outward (away from the phone). Then, using some double-sided tape, I stuck a large, square section over the coil (on the side opposite the phone), with a smaller section attaching the coil + heatshield to the phone. It's important to have a smaller section of tape on the side facing the phone so that later on, the pad will stay attached to the phone to make alignment easier, but when pressed into the case, stay in place.

- I then made sure that when the contacts were pressed firmly to the phone it charged when placed on the plate. Then, I stuck the pad to the phone.

- I then got a 1x1cm square of an old credit card (kudos to sadude69), and stuck that to the back, right underneath where the pins/connector are using some duck tape (I also put a small square of double-sided tape on that for good measure). This will apply additional pressure on the pins and keep the pins connected.

- Kudos again to sadude69, I placed the phone in the Candyshell case top-side first, and then pressed the phone into the case firmly. I then squeezed the case firmly around the area where the coil is placed, to make sure it stuck properly.

- Then, I slowly removed the phone from the case (top-side first) so that the double-sided tape facing the phone would slowly unpeel, and not rip the coil off with it. I then removed the double-sided tape facing the phone so that it wouldn't stick to the phone.

This is what it looks like now:
WP_20141213_15_18_01_Pro.jpg

It seems to hold a connection okay (I've had it for less than a day), but to be honest my dodgy handiwork will probably mean something will break. Hopefully this thread helps some people with a similar case, as I found a few of the other methods in this thread didn't seem to work for me. Also, I tried putting the slab of plastic (that covers the coils and connections and faces the phone on the charging cover) back on, but it seems to interfere with the connectors and stops wireless charging. In the future, I'd like to figure out a way to put it back on without ruining the connection (I have a feeling that the plastic pulls the connectors away from the phone, stopping the connection from occurring) as it looks cleaner and will probably hold the connectors in place better.

P.S credits to sadude69 and oldpuebo for their posts on similar methods

Last edited:

Brad Billman

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you know which lead is the hot lead? My usb port stopped working on my 1020 so I am curious if could hack up a micro usb cord to connect directly to the wireless charging leads and charge the phone.

Per Ekelund1

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I am also contemplating an internal install on the 1020. My question is; is the pcb-like board necessary? According to this video:

[please search youtube for "lumia 1020 920 coil"]

one can use only the coil from a 920 internal board, which can be bought for only $5.99 on eBay. If this is indeed possible, and with the aid of your pictures, the coil would fit under the battery. The issues with having the pcb-board taking up place would be eliminated. Im thinking of sanding the inside of the case with a Dremel as well if necessary.

If i dont do a internal install i will just stick the coil onto the back of the phone and find some neat way to cover it. I think the phone becomes too bulky with any cover.

Cheers

petrev

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Quick - No Tools Method.

1x TPU Gel Case + 1xCC-3066 Charging Back

Fit CC-3066.
Stretch TPU Gel Case over back including charging cover.
Gel case and CC-3066 can now be removed as one piece as in Pic. 1

Best on a warm day / in a warm room.

My TPU Gel case is the type with a cover for the lens area and holes for the side buttons.
Holes for buttons now act as handy guides to press the edge of the case to operate buttons - Actually easier than before !
This Gel Case is transparent black/smoked but others work too !

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also . . .1020 Custom Wireless Charger Pad . . .

Cut a hole (1.8" / 46mm) in a cheap eBay charging pad (eg. ?3.99 itm.no.161368473387)
Cover with vinyl tape.
Best to remove top cover of charging pad before drilling hole and then reassemble . . .
These cheap charging pads have the power port at the same end as the PCB so they have clear area through the hole !
Image of back to show model I used.

Pete

Attachments

• WP_20151112_12_04_49_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151112_12_04_49_Pro.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • WP_20151112_12_05_02_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151112_12_05_02_Pro.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • WP_20151112_12_09_03_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151112_12_09_03_Pro.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • WP_20151112_12_13_32_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151112_12_13_32_Pro.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • WP_20151112_12_13_51_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151112_12_13_51_Pro.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • WP_20151112_12_24_03_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151112_12_24_03_Pro.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • WP_20151112_14_10_38_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151112_14_10_38_Pro.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

Majava

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi, sorry to bump this thread up for a "dead" device (unfortunate lack of support only two years out)- I will be getting a 1020 and was hoping to find out what some are using for induction coil/circuitry donors that will connect to the charging terminals (not the Amazon addons that end up plugging into the USB anyhow). The charge case is simply not available in my country for reasonable prices, if they are to be found at all. In this case, I'd rather gut something cheap and connect to the terminals and affix to the inside of a case.

Furthermore, I'd also like to make a charging stand that has two small prongs that protrude up and engange with the charge terminals, those such items as polarity, phase, on/off cycles, etc. are still unknown.

Any tips?

1020 lover

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
It is very difficult to connect the 1020 with wirless charging cover to the wireless charging pillow (DT -901), sometimes it connects easily, but unfortunately most of the times it does't. I don't know if the problem is related to the wireless charger or to the cover or to the phone. Any help please?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon