Otterbox wireless charging mod

cubanaso

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

So I picked up an otterbox case earlier today and I decided that I would try and mod the case so I can wirelessly charge my phone. The tools I needed were: a hair dryer, xacto knife, double sided tape (the type for electronic components), and finally a Nokia wireless charging cover. To begin, I used the blow dryer to loosen up the interior lining of the charging cover. It is quiet easy to pull off by simply sliding the knife underneath the lining by the edge of the seem. I used the above technique to pry off the charging coil and contact points. I then peeled off the thin foam lining the interior of the otterbox case. I then placed some double sided tape on the charging coil and contact points. I carefully lined up the contact point on the phone and taped it down so it wouldn't move. Then I carefully placed the bottom part of the otterbox case on the phone and pushed down with firm pressure. When I removed the case, the coil and contact point were firmly in place. I placed the phone back in attached the rest of the case on, it fit nicely, then I tested it out. Success! To finish it off I removed the phone from the case and place the lining over the charging coil. All in all it was a nice project and worked great. Now I don't have to take the otterbox case whenever I want to charge the phone wirelessly. Any questions feel free to ask.

Attachments

• WP_20130820_12_50_33_Pro.jpg
    WP_20130820_12_50_33_Pro.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 1,106
  • WP_20130820_12_50_44_Pro.jpg
    WP_20130820_12_50_44_Pro.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 1,100

IMStrugglin

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Very nice! Now do it again and make a video of it and send it to me! I am no where near talented enough nor steady enough to tackle this project. Besides, my kids don't let me play with sharp objects anymore.

cubanaso

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Lol, it took less than 30 minutes and you can substitute the knife with something rigid and thin. I only tried this because I had 2 wireless charging covers, one that I received for free from the Microsoft store. But I figured I'd inform everyone that it is possible and if you want to make the investment its worth it.

IMStrugglin

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
It is good to know it can be done. I'll get my daughter on the project tonight. Thanks for posting this!

By the way, how did you determine where to place the contacts on the Obox to line up properly?

cubanaso

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
It is good to know it can be done. I'll get my daughter on the project tonight. Thanks for posting this!

By the way, how did you determine where to place the contacts on the Obox to line up properly?

I placed it on the phone first, ensuring the contacts touched. I placed some double sided tape on the coil and then carefully placed the otterbox case on the phone. Picture this is this order, phone faced down, charging coil on top properly aligned, then the otterbox case placed on top. I guess I should have video taped the whole thing, lol

cubanaso

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Quick update:
The case works perfectly with the Nokia charging pad. Now it doesn't seem to be able to hold a connection with my energizer 3 position charging pad. Some things I noticed, the 1020 didn't seem to charge to well on the energizer pad with an unmodified Nokia cover, my 920 worked great. Now I believe that this might be due to the fact that the charging coil on the 920 is slightly thicker and bigger than the one for the 1020. Hope this info helps someone out.

cubanaso

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
So I just read the article posted here that showed how to install the wireless charging pad directly into the Lumia 925 and I got to thinking, maybe I can do the same. Well after watching a disassemble video for the Lumia 1020, I must say it doesn't look possible. Everything is put together very tightly with no visible space for anything extra. Also everything needs to be removed separately to get to the battery which is located all the way in the bottom. So it seems I will not be doing that. Here is the link if any one is interested

Lumia 1020 Disassembly - YouTube

On a lighter note it seems that the lcd is pretty easy to replace.

jsjohnson1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I was literally trying to figure this out 5 minutes before I saw this post. I love my 920's Otterbox but I've been hesitating on buying the 1020 because I now have 3 wireless charge bases (one in the kitchen, one at work, one beside my bed) and I detest wire charging now. My primary concern would be one of heat dissipation, especially since your last step is basically insulation (which might be a good thing for the phone itself). Have you noticed any heat build up in excess of what you would get from a 920 charging?

cubanaso

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
No heat build up at all. The wireless charging component actually has a heat shield of some sort. This mod definitely makes using the otterbox much more tolerable during the work week.

jsjohnson1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
So just curious...can I use the charging coil out of any of the Nokia charging cases or just the one specific to the 1020? Any idea if the coils are any different between them? I ask since getting a cover for an older model will likely be cheaper.

cubanaso

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
So just curious...can I use the charging coil out of any of the Nokia charging cases or just the one specific to the 1020? Any idea if the coils are any different between them? I ask since getting a cover for an older model will likely be cheaper.

I not entirely sure. I know the one specific for the 1020 has the contact points. You would have to ensure that the contact points line of with the 1020. Ive been thinking about buying a cheap Samsung galaxy wireless charging pad and trying it out.

dtk31883

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had time to try and experiment with installing the coil internally. Here are some images of my L1020 in a third party case with the working Qi coil. I purchased a clear Poetic Atmosphere Case from Amazon to help show the working coil. Also here are some images the Nokia Wireless Charging Case dissembled with Hot Hair-Dryer.photo.jpg

WP_20130827_19_09_26_Pro.jpg
WP_20130827_19_16_16_Pro.jpg

tkuhe

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had time to try and experiment with installing the coil internally. Here are some images of my L1020 in a third party case with the working Qi coil. I purchased a clear Poetic Atmosphere Case from Amazon to help show the working coil. Also here are some images the Nokia Wireless Charging Case dissembled with Hot Hair-Dryer.View attachment 42259

View attachment 42260
View attachment 42261

Any update on how this is working. I finally got my 1020 but really miss my wireless charging and want to do this.

yaguchi

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking about doing the mod with a silicon case, the otterbox is too bulky for me. Has anyone else tried this mod?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)