Bad luck or terrible quality control?

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Bought the 1020 at full retail from AT&T. First unit had a busted speaker phone, so I had it swapped the next day at the AT&T store. Vibration on the second unit was messed up so I had it swapped again at the AT&T store. Right after the 14-day window, I start having more issues. I contact Nokia and they didn't have any on-hand so I had to wait almost a week.

I received it today, and just check out what I got. The camera isn't flush. What's going on with Nokia's QC?

WP_20130822_16_56_39_Pro.jpg

WP_20130822_16_57_11_Pro.jpg

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So... I can't really see what you're upset about, but I've not looked closely at a 1020 and I'm not doubting you.

I know that when the 920 came out they did have some QC issues with the first batches. It's probably something along those same lines.

Does the camera move back and forth or wiggle at all?

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So... I can't really see what you're upset about, but I've not looked closely at a 1020 and I'm not doubting you.

I know that when the 920 came out they did have some QC issues with the first batches. It's probably something along those same lines.

No. Doesn't wiggle at all. It's fixed in place like that. And I'm upset because I don't have enough time to be chasing down a replacement. I travel a lot for work and it's becoming very inconvenient. Hopefully that's good enough reason.

GloriousGlory

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
That's disappointing. I don't recall reading any posts about bad QC. I would chalk it up to bad luck, but maybe I got lucky, so I really can't answer that.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Mixture of both bad luck and poor qc I reckon.

Get yourself on Twitter to bring it to the attention of Mr Elop to see if he can help get a swift resolution.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully that's good enough reason.

Easy there, I wasn't doubting you. I was just saying I couldn't see it in the pics, and that I haven't looked at the 1020 so I don't know what it should look like. If I had to swap a phone as much as you have, I'd be upset too.

That said, if the phone works as it should and the camera doesn't wiggle, are you nitpicking because you're upset? Or is the mis-alignment actually that big of an issue?

jeffskent

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I can't speak for Nokia, of course, but I got my 1020 the day it was released and it has been flawless, as far as I can tell. I hope this continues. You seem to be doing all the right things to get you a proper functioning unit. One of the best things about enthusiast web sites like this is that they publicize even freakish, one off issues as well as trends. Keep updating this post, I suggest, with better news, if you get it. None of us are immune to issues.

I bought a 14.4 US Robotics modem about 30 years ago. The first didn't work. I got a second which also didn't work. I got a third and it worked for years. Who can say?

Along the same lines, I returned an iPad 3 a couple of years ago because the Home button had a sharp edge on it. The edge sharpness didn't cut my finger, but it was still there and shouldn't have been. We all pay good money for these things and we should all expect to be happy with our choices and if not we should get our money back or a new device. In my perfect world.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site

there is quite a bit of space in between the camera hump and the phone itself in the picture. i can see why he is upset, i would be.

I had a 920 and gone through 4 swaps myself and my four other family members under my plan got 920s and all got swapped out. Mine was battery and screen issue, my mom/dad each battery issues, niece her phone died and wouldnt turn on and another family member didn't work out the box.

920 had major qc issues, im hoping their qc has improved. Im getting a 1020 today so hopefully it lasts longer than my 4 other 920s.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
That said, if the phone works as it should and the camera doesn't wiggle, are you nitpicking because you're upset? Or is the mis-alignment actually that big of an issue?

Is this guy for real? Nitpicking? It's clearly an issue. Your fanboyism or whatever it is, is ridiculous.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
there is quite a bit of space in between the camera hump and the phone itself. i can see why he is upset, i would be

My eyes aren't what they used to be. :)

Again, please note, I'm not doubting the OP. Nor am I saying he shouldn't be upset. I'm just trying to understand because I can't see it on the pics very well, because I don't know what a 1020 is supposed to look like. And I'm interested.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
My eyes aren't what they used to be. :)

Again, please note, I'm not doubting the OP. Nor am I saying he shouldn't be upset. I'm just trying to understand because I can't see it on the pics very well, because I don't know what a 1020 is supposed to look like. And I'm interested.

If you have bad eyes fine, i have good eyes and that space is pretty big and its the first thing you notice when you see the picture, its like a cave.

Whether a mis alignment is big or not, its a mis-alignment and nobody should be accepting a flawed product.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Boris Lozac said:
Is this guy for real? Nitpicking? It's clearly an issue. Your fanboyism or whatever it is, is ridiculous.
laughable, i guess he wouldn't be concerned if that gap expanded and dust or whatever gets in that space. It's fanboyism.

Thanks for quoting Boris, I have him ignored because he's a... well, nevermind.

That said, please read all my posts on this thread. I'm not doubting the OP, nor am I saying he's not justified in being upset. I also said I'd be upset if I had to exchange a phone that many times. I don't know what a 1020 should look like because I've never seen one, and I don't see what the issue is on the pics because I've not seen a 1020.

I was simply asking the OP if - because I can't tell what the issue is - it's truly a big issue or not. I'm not saying he's wrong, nor am I saying the 1020 is fine. I'm saying I don't know, and I'm trying to find out.

So, Boris, thanks again for spinning another thread out of control because of your fixation on tearing into my posts.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a few words for people like you too, but, well, nevermind...

You don't know how 1020 looks like, you are blind, YET, you find the guts to say the man is nitpicking, seriously?

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You don't know how 1020 looks like, you are blind, YET, you find the guts to say the man is nitpicking, seriously?

For god's sake, dude, get off my d*ck.

Read what I wrote: "are you nitpicking because you're upset? Or is the mis-alignment actually that big of an issue?"

I didn't say he was nitpicking. I asked a question to the OP which, oddly enough, is not you. So lay off.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Easy there, I wasn't doubting you. I was just saying I couldn't see it in the pics, and that I haven't looked at the 1020 so I don't know what it should look like. If I had to swap a phone as much as you have, I'd be upset too.

I've just read through and I don't think I should respond to this. I can't even tell if you're trolling or not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)