Tips: Screen Replacement Lumia 1020

djburkes

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I own a Lumia 920 and unfortunately, have had the pleasure of replacing a digitizer for someone with a 920. Today I replaced my first Lumia 1020 LCD+digitizer. The screen was ordered from etradesupply.com and cost around $188. It only took a few days to arrive and was packed nicely between layers of a foam inside a plastic container. Taking the screen assembly off wasn't very difficult at all. There's a PDF floating around from Nokia Care that shows the teardown of a Lumia 1020. I turned the phone off, popped out the SIM tray, unscrewed a #4 torx screw and opened the screen starting with the top left corner. I disconnected the cable for the screen, the cable for the front facing camera, and the battery cable per the instructions. The only thing the PDF didn't mention was how to remove the digitizer and LCD from the plastic assembly. It wasn't held with normal adhesive, it was actually glued. I found that out after trying to heat the glass for a while. I ended up breaking the glass around the inside edge of the plastic assembly so I could remove the LCD then scraped the rest of the glass off of the assembly with a small screw driver. It took about an hour and a half to get all of the glass off. Here are a few pics of the cracked screen and the plastic assembly. I had double sided black adhesive that I usually use when replacing screens but it was a little too thick. The only other adhesive I had was double sided carpet adhesive and it worked like a charm.

Cracked.jpg

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

Last edited:

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Screen Replacement Lumia 1020

Good stuff. Consider adding "How to:" or "Tips:" to the title of this thread to make it stand out better. To do that, click Edit then Advanced.

roadcabe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Djburke, thanks for sharing. Are you able to share the PDF ? I just broke my lumia 1020 screen and ordered a replacement, the PDF would be very helpful. Appreciate any other guidance you can provide.

D ram

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I broke only the top glass and found site that sells the replacement glass and not the LCD. Anyone know how to replace just the top glass, lcd works fine.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Here is a video some of you might find helpful Nokia Lumia 920 Digitizer Glass & LCD (TFT) Display Replacement - YouTube

It's about the 920, but I would guess the process is similar with the 1020 screen.

Personally I would not try to replace the glass by myself, it just seems like too much hassle. Better option would be to either have it repaired by Nokia or buy a whole front screen assembly which is a lot simpler to replace and the service manual for the details is floating around; both are more expensive options but if you don't have any experience with fixing and tinkering with electronics yourself they are much safer options.

vincelac

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Does the new screen have the same ability to work with gloves as the old screen? I'm assuming the 1020 can do it if the 521 can. I'm considering purchasing a broken one to repair and use as my primary device.

Jmh89

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Did you buy a broken screen phone & replace the glass only yet? The screen just broke on my 1020, so I'm using my old Lumia 822 (Verizon) on ATT. (the 1020 camera has me spoiled....) I'm really interested in trying to replace the glass only to save some $$$. What do I have to loose by trying? Worst case scenario, I just have to buy the screen & digitizer combo.?

Jmh89

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I replaced the screen on my 1020 successfully. Everything went good & fit good. However, the screen color calibration is off, and everything appears much darker on the bottom half of the screen then on the top half. When I edit photos on the phone to proper brightness, then they look all wrong on a computer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss