Hi all,

Has anyone noticed a white hazy region at the top region of pictures taken at night with the xenon flash on? It seems to be because of the placement of the flash above the lens and maybe some mistiming between the firing and the shutter closing instant?
    08-27-2013 09:35 PM
    You should always try and take photos without flash, you will get better photos that way. Flash is for when you cant see anything. Litterally.

But that's buy the buy. Try changing iso and exposure settings. If that doesn't work, contact Nokia directly.

I would strongly advise never using flash though. Even if it worked perfectly.
    08-27-2013 09:54 PM
    Flash also helps freeze subjects and avoid blur. So in a party for example, for a quick shot, you typically don't have the time or patience to tweak the settings so that flash need not be used, and you cant make the subjects stay still for long to get the long exposure shots...

I had the same problem with the 808 pureview, but it was my mistake that I had the finger too close to the flash, and removing the finger did the trick...not so with the 1020..
    Even if I place the finger on top, I can still see the halo....

I have attached a couple of pics below:

wp_20130827_22_18_46_pro.jpg
    wp_20130827_22_18_53_pro.jpg
    wp_20130827_23_39_40_pro.jpg
    08-28-2013 09:12 AM
    Are you sure you're properly focused? Could be something in the aperture, as if it's taking a macro shot, that makes it catch more of the light. All of those shots look really blurry.
    08-28-2013 10:45 AM
    i noticed this white haze in one of the pictures i took before these shots, and I wanted to see if i can just reproduce this...there are no objects close by that i could focus on, and the flash should not have "lit" anything up, but u still see that haze at the top right of the image....

it was just "firing into the night", if you will.
    08-28-2013 10:57 AM
    does anyone else have any input in this guys?
    08-28-2013 09:28 PM
    Did you put any case or skin cover to your phone
    08-28-2013 10:57 PM
    Definitely watch finger placement, noticed that with mine with close finger.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    08-29-2013 10:04 AM
    Did you put any case or skin cover to your phone
    Yes. I have a gel case that isn't anywhere near the flash and i have the transparent skin surrounding the flash on the camera hump, but again, not touching the flash or anything.
    08-29-2013 11:41 AM
    Definitely watch finger placement, noticed that with mine with close finger.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    I did watch out for that while taking the pictures above, but no improvement...have you tried it on yours?
    08-29-2013 11:41 AM
    I had the same issue with the skin case on camera hump...I experimented removing it...and found out the effect is gone...give a try
    08-29-2013 12:28 PM
    I had the same issue with the skin case on camera hump...I experimented removing it...and found out the effect is gone...give a try
    Just to make sure that I was clear before, there is nothing covering the flash at all, the case goes around the camera hump. The skin on the hump is a transparent material, and that too has a wide hole so that it doesn't cover the flash, the led light and the lens of course. It is there just so that i can lay the phone down on its back without the camera hump metal or lens cover getting scratched...
    08-29-2013 01:47 PM
    Just to make sure that I was clear before, there is nothing covering the flash at all, the case goes around the camera hump. The skin on the hump is a transparent material, and that too has a wide hole so that it doesn't cover the flash, the led light and the lens of course. It is there just so that i can lay the phone down on its back without the camera hump metal or lens cover getting scratched...
    I agree that flash is not covered but...if you try again removing the skin cover you'll see the difference for sure..
    08-29-2013 02:14 PM
    True, but as the flash floods the area with light, you could be getting some light rebounded off of the plastic. Its worth taking it off and trying anyway, even if it probably wont help.
    My guess is its going to be a repair job.

Have you tried other camera apps etc?
    08-29-2013 02:16 PM
    I agree that flash is not covered but...if you try again removing the skin cover you'll see the difference for sure..
    Ok thanks...I am just a bit hesitant to remove the skin, as the hump will then get scratched....i will experiment with it on a bit more, as I just took a couple of pics and the problem did not seem to exist anymore...i have the warranty for a year anyways so it should not be of immediate concern.
    08-29-2013 03:53 PM
    True, but as the flash floods the area with light, you could be getting some light rebounded off of the plastic. Its worth taking it off and trying anyway, even if it probably wont help.

My guess is its going to be a repair job.

Have you tried other camera apps etc?
    Trying with other apps should narrow it down to if the problem is with the installed skin or not....thanks....will check it out.
    08-29-2013 03:54 PM
    Glad to help. Good luck and keep us posted.
    08-30-2013 02:41 PM
    Thank you all, it seems that the transparent skin on the back was the problem..i have a dark wood skin from skinomi on the back now and the flash no longer produces the hazy region at the top right of images....
    09-08-2013 08:23 PM