Random reboot 8/28 ATT

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Did anyone else's phone reboot for no apparent reason today around 2pm central?

Some kind of WP update maybe?

I was wondering what you meant by "8/28" in your title...thought you were talking about a Lumia 828 or something... You had me confused, haha.

It just happens sometimes...typically it is a poorly coded app that is stuck running in the background. The OS does a decent job of finding those, and instead of just letting it run your battery down and steal your processor speed...it kills the app if it can, or restarts the OS if it can't.

I've had it happen maybe once or twice in the year I've owned my phone (920 on AT&T)...so it is not common but it isn't a big nationwide conspiracy either. When you get an update also, it only restarts after you confirm the prompts.

waltonse

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Happened to me as well, now I have no data through wifi or the network...I have bars and a wireless signal but cannot connect to anything. Everything looks normal so I don't get it. Reboots haven't worked

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
It just happens sometimes...typically it is a poorly coded app that is stuck running in the background. The OS does a decent job of finding those, and instead of just letting it run your battery down and steal your processor speed...it kills the app if it can, or restarts the OS if it can't.

How do you know this is what's going on when the phone spontaneously reboots? Do you have an official source stating that the OS does this, or some kind of other solid evidence?

LiveTilesRus

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
In my month with the 1020 spontaneous reboots are the norm. I use an "uptime" app to keep track of the boot time.
I guess I don't have to worry about proactive maintenance reboots do I? The phone takes care of that on it's own.

Did anyone else's phone reboot for no apparent reason today around 2pm central?

Some kind of WP update maybe?

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
How do you know this is what's going on when the phone spontaneously reboots? Do you have an official source stating that the OS does this, or some kind of other solid evidence?

An app freezes and the phone restarts.

Sure...the phone COULD have restarted because it was receiving a decoded message from an alien from 20 million light years away and the processor couldn't handle it. I mean, why not? Right?

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, you did say an app running in the background. It's a little different if the app is running in the foreground where you can see it and have a better chance of correctly identifying it as the reason for the reboot.

Or perhaps you know of a way to determine when an app running in the background has frozen, and which one, prior to the phone rebooting on its own? If so, please share it with us.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro