Sleep Screen to Taking Picture to saving - how long it takes?

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I own a L720 but am very tempted to make a switch to L1020 in future once its officially available here.
A major query I have is,
-The screen is off and I hit the camera button, how long does it take to take a picture and save?
-The battery to power ratio, is it good? (Can the phone last 1 full day without any issues?)

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
WARNING WITHOUT USING THE WARNING TAG: I do not own a 1020.

-It depends on the camera app you use and which of the resolution settings you use. Should take more than 5 seconds, that's for sure.
-It will most likely be worse than the 720, as they have the same battery capacity (2000 mAh) but the 1020 has more power-intensive hardware.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
5 secs?
I think I need to drop my thought for this one.

A max of 2 secs is fine, imagine taking pictures of little ones, its *hard* to wait for 5 secs as you could miss a valuable snap.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
5 secs?
I think I need to drop my thought for this one.

A max of 2 secs is fine, imagine taking pictures of little ones, its *hard* to wait for 5 secs as you could miss a valuable snap.
That's IF you use the Pro Cam, you focus, and you take the picture with the most taxing settings.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
To get from phone locked and screen black to picture taken and saved and camera ready for the next shot, I just got between 5-6 seconds with the standard camera app, 8 seconds with the Pro Cam app.

To get from lock screen to picture ready to take it was less than 3 seconds with the standard camera app, and between 4-5 seconds with the Pro Cam app.

If the speed is that important to you, I would leave the standard cam app as the default for the quick shots, and if you need the super camera, it's accessible from the lenses section within the camera app.

As for battery life, if it's a normal usage day I can easily get a full day. If i'm taking a lot of pictures, say at the Zoo with my kids, then it will not last the day. If I cheat and put the phone on the car charger for the 30 minute drive there and back, then it will last the day

bcolton

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I own a L720 but am very tempted to make a switch to L1020 in future once its officially available here.
A major query I have is,
-The screen is off and I hit the camera button, how long does it take to take a picture and save?
-The battery to power ratio, is it good? (Can the phone last 1 full day without any issues?)

I love the 1020 camera, but the speed is a serious issue for me. It takes 4-5 seconds to get into the camera application when hitting the camera button. Another serious issue I'm having is the slow speed between shots. It takes a good 2-3 seconds between shots, and when shooting a moving object this is a problem.

The Galaxy S4 had a burst mode that was simply put, just awesome.
The Lumia 1020 is certainly the best camera phone on the market, but it comes with trade-offs.

As far as the battery life, I've been happy. It last longer than I expected and I can certainly make it through a day.

Ferazzz

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
My battery life is mediocre at best. Heavy usage and lucky to get 5-6 hours. However in idle it is very good. I have turned off glance completely to see what difference it will make.

LiveTilesRus

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes the 1020 is about quality more than quantity that's for sure. Though, the Smartcam app will do burst shots among other things.

The 1020 has to: 1) capture data off the sensor 2) perform the down-sampling (which is software wizardry including noise reduction etc.) 3) save two files consisting of a 5 megapixel and a 38 megapixel image. That's a lot of work. And it's being done by a dual-core S4. The 1.7 and 2.2 ghz processors with Krait 300/400 cores would certainly speed things up I presume. Too bad MS moves like it's 1998 with regard to WP.

If I know a photo op is going to present itself, I launch the camera app then put the phone to sleep. Now it's just a matter of waking the phone (using power button) and swiping the lock screen, the camera app will be loaded and initialized as fast as you can wake the phone and dismiss the lock screen. Using the shutter button to launch the camera always takes longer no matter the method. The fastest way into the camera app is to have it loaded while the phone is in sleep mode; then use the power button to wake the phone. Every phone has a lock screen to get past. Using this method evens the score quite a bit. Of course, after the capture, you still have all those pixels being slung around by a dual core krait 200s at 1.5ghz.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss