09-09-2013 08:15 AM
61 123
tools
    They will still be making Nokia phones, even Microsoft will still be making Nokia branded phones for the next 10 years (feature phones).
    In 2016 Nokia can even make their own Nokia phones any way they like again. They just can't use the name Lumia anymore since Microsoft now owns the trademark.
    09-05-2013 12:01 PM
    Of course losing Nokia as an independent manufacturer is sad. Not "Throw yourself off a cliff into a lake of razor blades" sad. More like "Dang, I wish my favorite Ice Cream shop hadn't discontinued my favorite flavor" sad.

-All manufacturing and supply lines remain as is for right now. Very few, if any, of the jobs assured by Nokia will be lost over the first year of becoming Microsoft.

-Our favorite OS is assured of great devices.

-The next 18 months of devices will still be all Nokia designed. It will take until at least fall of 2014 until MS-influenced hardware are even being designed.

lastly, let us not forget WHY this happened: Nokia was reaching the end of it's exclusive, 1 billion a year deal with MS. It had been so succesful, they were closing in on 90% of WP sales, driving a good 10% of app development, and were pushing sales of WP handsets in EVERY REGION they were being sold to new highs. Microsoft could not afford to lose this driving force. Buying the entire company was better then risking losing them. So, if Nokia was THAT successful:

WHY in the name of Steve Ballmer's uncanny resemblance to the Frankenstien's monster of "Putting on the Ritz" fame would MS mess with success??? Nokia's influence on the mobile arm of MS will be HUGE!! It will still be Nokia. Just Nokia in the position to kick all of WP to new heights.

Yes, I have come full circle on this. I have grown to love this purchase.
    09-05-2013 12:14 PM
    They will still be making Nokia phones, even Microsoft will still be making Nokia branded phones for the next 10 years (feature phones).
    In 2016 Nokia can even make their own Nokia phones any way they like again. They just can't use the name Lumia anymore since Microsoft now owns the trademark.
    I don't think that's possible. MS have bought the mobile phone division which includes the manufacturing and logistics for creating phones as well as all the staff - Its highly unlikely that whats left of nokia will make enough money to rebuild all of that and be in a position to ever make another mobile phone.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    09-05-2013 12:16 PM
    I don't think that's possible. MS have bought the mobile phone division which includes the manufacturing and logistics for creating phones as well as all the staff - Its highly unlikely that whats left of nokia will make enough money to rebuild all of that and be in a position to ever make another mobile phone.
    It won't be easy, but they still have brand awareness (obviously that's what this whole thread is about). So, they could design something in house (slap android or wp on it) and then outsource all the manufacturing. Slowly building back up.
    They still have the same sales channels they have had for decades, so it's not impossible.
    09-05-2013 12:22 PM
    Ha! Indeed, they could do it Commodore style eh?
    09-05-2013 12:27 PM
    Of course losing Nokia as an independent manufacturer is sad. Not "Throw yourself off a cliff into a lake of razor blades" sad. More like "Dang, I wish my favorite Ice Cream shop hadn't discontinued my favorite flavor" sad.

-All manufacturing and supply lines remain as is for right now. Very few, if any, of the jobs assured by Nokia will be lost over the first year of becoming Microsoft.

-Our favorite OS is assured of great devices.

-The next 18 months of devices will still be all Nokia designed. It will take until at least fall of 2014 until MS-influenced hardware are even being designed.

lastly, let us not forget WHY this happened: Nokia was reaching the end of it's exclusive, 1 billion a year deal with MS. It had been so succesful, they were closing in on 90% of WP sales, driving a good 10% of app development, and were pushing sales of WP handsets in EVERY REGION they were being sold to new highs. Microsoft could not afford to lose this driving force. Buying the entire company was better then risking losing them. So, if Nokia was THAT successful:

WHY in the name of Steve Ballmer's uncanny resemblance to the Frankenstien's monster of "Putting on the Ritz" fame would MS mess with success??? Nokia's influence on the mobile arm of MS will be HUGE!! It will still be Nokia. Just Nokia in the position to kick all of WP to new heights.

Yes, I have come full circle on this. I have grown to love this purchase.
    Quite a nice read there. Thanks for the insight :) As time is passing, I am starting to see the bright side of things.
    And the side does seem to be very bright.
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-05-2013 12:40 PM
    It won't be easy, but they still have brand awareness (obviously that's what this whole thread is about). So, they could design something in house (slap android or wp on it) and then outsource all the manufacturing. Slowly building back up.
    They still have the same sales channels they have had for decades, so it's not impossible.
    Do you think the brand awareness will stick around till that time?
    09-05-2013 12:42 PM
    The name and brand has been licensed to Microsoft for 10 years. 32,000 employees from Nokia are moving to Microsoft. Calm down.
    Nogitsune Micah likes this.
    09-05-2013 02:50 PM
    09-05-2013 02:51 PM
    Cold, Sal.

Funny.... really funny... but oh so cold...
    WanderingTraveler likes this.
    09-05-2013 03:22 PM
    They could always snap up Jolla in a heartbeat and bring back MeeGo ;)
    09-05-2013 03:27 PM
    They could always snap up Jolla in a heartbeat and bring back MeeGo ;)
    There's a reason they stopped MeeGo. There was no money in it.

Not that it was bad. It seemed pretty nifty. Buy nowadays that's not enough.
    09-05-2013 03:43 PM
    Do you need a huge, i'll hug but I may reach around
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    09-05-2013 04:10 PM
    Heart broken is too strong a word. I went for Nokia since they were the only company that was actually dedicated to this platform. I expected support, and more or less got it. Personally I have very high hopes for this merger and the future of the Windows Phone platform. Nokia has changed fields several time in the past. I'm sure that people where disappointed when the left fishing/lumber. People were probably disappointed and heartbroken when Nokia moved on from rubber. New chapter, and the sequel is being written by MS. They are this big for a reason.
    Nogitsune Micah likes this.
    09-05-2013 04:41 PM
    I'm not that worried, but I do hope they keep using the brand awareness that Nokia has for a while. Nokia phones are still seen as durable and high-quality phones, and I'm betting there are thousands of people who want a Nokia just because it's a Nokia, not because of Windows Phone or anything.
    What will happen when the Nokia brand completely disappears and the "Nokia Lumia" phones tranform in "Windows Phones", and oblivious people go to the store and ask the staff "I'd like to buy a Nokia"? They'll have to answer with "Nokia doesn't exist anymore, it's Microsoft now. So you'll have to buy a Windows Phone". I think a lot of salespeople will easily change that advice to "Nokia doesn't exist anymore, but the new Samsung Galaxy is very popular! You should buy that one!"

TL;DR: People still go to stores to buy a Nokia. If they find out they're gone, what will keep them from buying an Android or an iPhone?
    WP8fan likes this.
    09-05-2013 06:42 PM
    I'm not that worried, but I do hope they keep using the brand awareness that Nokia has for a while. Nokia phones are still seen as durable and high-quality phones, and I'm betting there are thousands of people who want a Nokia just because it's a Nokia, not because of Windows Phone or anything.
    What will happen when the Nokia brand completely disappears and the "Nokia Lumia" phones tranform in "Windows Phones", and oblivious people go to the store and ask the staff "I'd like to buy a Nokia"? They'll have to answer with "Nokia doesn't exist anymore, it's Microsoft now. So you'll have to buy a Windows Phone". I think a lot of salespeople will easily change that advice to "Nokia doesn't exist anymore, but the new Samsung Galaxy is very popular! You should buy that one!"

TL;DR: People still go to stores to buy a Nokia. If they find out they're gone, what will keep them from buying an Android or an iPhone?
    Yup, exactly. It has already been said several times: people bought Windows Phones because of Nokia, not Nokias because of Windows phone. but lets just hope that the word Lumia is strong enough to drive the sales.
    09-05-2013 07:57 PM
    Same here bro...i was kinda crying...feels like microsoft snatched my company...:'(
    09-05-2013 08:35 PM
    It could have been worse. At least it was Microsoft buying Nokia instead of Huwaei, ZTE, Samsung or another company like that.
    nohra and snowmutt like this.
    09-05-2013 08:46 PM
    I always loved nokia, all my phones were nokia expect for my current but I might switch to new nokia lumia after my contract expires!!
    09-05-2013 11:08 PM
    Microsoft Lumina phones...
    09-06-2013 02:44 AM
    Microsoft Lumina phones...
    Its Lumia, but tell me where did this term "Lumina" originate??
    I have seen it a lot and it sounds so annoying.
    09-06-2013 03:27 AM
    Relax, sip a cup of coffee.
    MS has only made an offer and not purchased the company yet.
    09-06-2013 04:19 AM
    i love wp8 but m dam 100% sure ms will ruin nokia n its brand name . coz thy nt good at hardware side. we all know it from results of surface .
    09-06-2013 04:21 AM
    i love wp8 but m dam 100% sure ms will ruin nokia n its brand name . coz thy nt good at hardware side. we all know it from results of surface .
    You obviously don't own a surface then. Best piece of hardware this decade so far.
    Villain and Alex Dean like this.
    09-06-2013 04:29 AM
    Had plenty of Nokia's I loved but honestly I don't follow name brand so this seems ridiculous to me... call it square device company for all I care, just as long as the quality and innovation is there.

I understand people base purchases on the name brand of a tag or logo though
    09-06-2013 04:50 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD