I'm heartbroken!!

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm not that worried, but I do hope they keep using the brand awareness that Nokia has for a while. Nokia phones are still seen as durable and high-quality phones, and I'm betting there are thousands of people who want a Nokia just because it's a Nokia, not because of Windows Phone or anything.
What will happen when the Nokia brand completely disappears and the "Nokia Lumia" phones tranform in "Windows Phones", and oblivious people go to the store and ask the staff "I'd like to buy a Nokia"? They'll have to answer with "Nokia doesn't exist anymore, it's Microsoft now. So you'll have to buy a Windows Phone". I think a lot of salespeople will easily change that advice to "Nokia doesn't exist anymore, but the new Samsung Galaxy is very popular! You should buy that one!"

TL;DR: People still go to stores to buy a Nokia. If they find out they're gone, what will keep them from buying an Android or an iPhone?

Yup, exactly. It has already been said several times: people bought Windows Phones because of Nokia, not Nokias because of Windows phone. but lets just hope that the word Lumia is strong enough to drive the sales.

WP8fan

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
It could have been worse. At least it was Microsoft buying Nokia instead of Huwaei, ZTE, Samsung or another company like that.

urvihpatel

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I always loved nokia, all my phones were nokia expect for my current but I might switch to new nokia lumia after my contract expires!!

Ashfaq Gazi

May 14, 2013
Visit site
i love wp8 but m dam 100% sure ms will ruin nokia n its brand name . coz thy nt good at hardware side. we all know it from results of surface .

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Had plenty of Nokia's I loved but honestly I don't follow name brand so this seems ridiculous to me... call it square device company for all I care, just as long as the quality and innovation is there.

I understand people base purchases on the name brand of a tag or logo though

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Had plenty of Nokia's I loved but honestly I don't follow name brand so this seems ridiculous to me... call it square device company for all I care, just as long as the quality and innovation is there.

I understand people base purchases on the name brand of a tag or logo though

How will you know if a phone is high quality and innovative before buying it? People need some sense of trust, like "Yeah, this is a Nokia so I can trust it with quality," or "Nokia phones are tough."
Do you see? The brand name assures that their product will be a quality product.

Alex Dean

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
You obviously don't own a surface then. Best piece of hardware this decade so far.

People who hate on the Surface have never owned one or used one. My girlfriend is a Mac girl through and through, but she used my Surface for half an hour and already preferred it to the iPad.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I've always and only bought Nokia since '96 as per my sig. But I'm wise enough to understand that this is a lifebelt for the company and that Nokia's spirit will live on under a bigger name. Times change. Harden your heart and move with them.
This is a deal which will save jobs and improve fortunes for the company as a whole.
Sometimes you just have to know when to sign on the line and swallow hard.

Like a girl I once knew...:wink:

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys! It feels so nice to see the positive side of it.
Huh... Nokia, just keep that innovation and spirit alive :)
That'll be all we need :)

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm not that worried, but I do hope they keep using the brand awareness that Nokia has for a while. Nokia phones are still seen as durable and high-quality phones, and I'm betting there are thousands of people who want a Nokia just because it's a Nokia, not because of Windows Phone or anything.
What will happen when the Nokia brand completely disappears and the "Nokia Lumia" phones tranform in "Windows Phones", and oblivious people go to the store and ask the staff "I'd like to buy a Nokia"? They'll have to answer with "Nokia doesn't exist anymore, it's Microsoft now. So you'll have to buy a Windows Phone". I think a lot of salespeople will easily change that advice to "Nokia doesn't exist anymore, but the new Samsung Galaxy is very popular! You should buy that one!"

TL;DR: People still go to stores to buy a Nokia. If they find out they're gone, what will keep them from buying an Android or an iPhone?

Sales people do that too much currently! I feel lucky that it was a sales person that first aimed us at Windows Phone. But then again, we weren't going with Apple and didn't like the security risks of Android, so I guess what else was there for them to do?

I can't see US sales being affected too much more than they are now, but I understand the rest of the world arguments. Maybe a gradual "Microsoft Windows Phone by Nokia" to eventually dropping Nokia will allow people to get used to the conversion. If MS is able to keep Nokia quality then hopefully they'll be able to get the Nokia fans to see MS in the same light by the time current models are all replaced with MS models. Of course it can go the other way... I used to love Motorola, but when researching new phones, I dropped them off the list once I saw "A Google Company" attached to their name...

Microsoft has a tough road ahead of them, but if people do any research before buying a phone, hopefully they'll stick with WP.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
How will you know if a phone is high quality and innovative before buying it? People need some sense of trust, like "Yeah, this is a Nokia so I can trust it with quality," or "Nokia phones are tough."
Do you see? The brand name assures that their product will be a quality product.
Is that a legit question?

- Everyone under the sun knows MS bought Nokia and MS's devices will be Nokia
- Your saying you base quality on name branding

bottom line everything will be the same hardware wise but with a bigger budget to push forward... only loss is a 5 letter text across the top

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Is that a legit question?

- Everyone under the sun knows MS bought Nokia and MS's devices will be Nokia
- Your saying you base quality on name branding

bottom line everything will be the same hardware wise but with a bigger budget to push forward... only loss is a 5 letter text across the top

Yes, that is a legit question.
- Not everyone under the sun know MS bought Nokia and MS's devices, it's just us geeks and the stock people.
- If quality wasn't associated with branding, why, wouldn't everyone be buying china phones then (considering their copying prowess and bang for buck)?

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that is a legit question.
- Not everyone under the sun know MS bought Nokia and MS's devices, it's just us geeks and the stock people.

Do people in other countries not do any research before buying phones costing several hundreds of dollars? Like I said, I didn't know that Nokia still sold phones but some quick research got me reviews. I think if this is such a big deal, then MS by all means should buy long term rights to the Nokia name just to keep people thinking nothing's changed.

- If quality wasn't associated with branding, why, wouldn't everyone be buying china phones then (considering their copying prowess and bang for buck)?

My Lumia 920 WAS made in China :-( So even though it may say Nokia at the top I do in fact have a China phone.

Last edited:

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Do people in other countries not do any research before buying phones costing several hundreds of dollars? Like I said, I didn't know that Nokia still sold phones but some quick research got me reviews. I think if this is such a big deal, then MS by all means should buy long term rights to the Nokia name just to keep people thinking nothing's changed.

My Lumia 920 WAS made in China :-( So even though it may say Nokia at the top I do in fact have a China phone.

Well, if people did research before buying, I can bet that Windows Phone would have had a better market share than what it currently has. The average buyer doesn't do research, he just listens to the sales guy (which, of course, is bent towards android or iOS) :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb