Lumia 1020 already being phased out?

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Nokia has been aggressive about releasing new Lumia variants -- typically about every six months. I think the reason this is appears to be coming out after just 4 or so months has to do with Windows 8.1. It appears that Windows Phone 8.1 will support more hardware and greater screen resolutions, and the 1520 seems to be designed to take advantage of this, as the first phone to ship with 8.1.

Beyond that, I'm not sure this is truly a 1020 replacement. First, the 1520 is clearly a phablet -- and many users do not want something that size. Secondly, while it will have a better processor and screen resolution, rumor is that it will have a "normal" camera and not the 1020s 41MP camera.

I don't see the 1520 actually being the "flagship", rather I believe it will play a role more like what the Samsung Note 2 does compared to the Galaxy S4 -- especially since new version of the Note typically comes out opposite the release of the new version of the Galaxy S.

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I think it was too high of a price to begin with and they have to do anything at this point to really light a fire under the 1020 for some kickass sales.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Just because its another Lumia, doesn't mean its replacing the 1020. Its a completely different market of phone.

The 5xx through 8xx are budget oriented phones.

The 9xx series is a high end standard phone.

The 10xx are photo enthusiasts phones.

The 15xx looks to be a phablet style phone.

None of these are replacements for one or the other. Just variants for different segments in the market.

AlexOwliver

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
When they say "replace as flagship" they don't mean they're going to stop producing the 1020. They mean that the 1520 will now be the "best" top-end phone Nokia sells, a spot currently held by the 1020.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Nokia has been aggressive about releasing new Lumia variants -- typically about every six months. I think the reason this is appears to be coming out after just 4 or so months has to do with Windows 8.1. It appears that Windows Phone 8.1 will support more hardware and greater screen resolutions, and the 1520 seems to be designed to take advantage of this, as the first phone to ship with 8.1.

The 1520 is going to ship with GDR3. 8.1 won't be coming until next year.

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I was going by the article linked in the OP, which claims it will ship with 8.1. Regardless, my point doesn't change no matter what they call the update; the update (if the rumors are correct) will allow the higher resolution screen and the processor to have more cores.

JustlMe

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Just because its another Lumia, doesn't mean its replacing the 1020. Its a completely different market of phone.

The 5xx through 8xx are budget oriented phones.

The 9xx series is a high end standard phone.

The 10xx are photo enthusiasts phones.

The 15xx looks to be a phablet style phone.

None of these are replacements for one or the other. Just variants for different segments in the market.
This, the best example i can think of is Samsung note series and the galaxy s3/4. Different phone for different needs /wants

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
1020 isn't being phased out. The 920 isn't even being phased out. But...if you were around for the 900 and saw the 920 announced in September of last year you may have some concerns.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I am a little bit confused as to why Nokia is already coming out with a successor to a phone less than 2 months old... Thoughts?

Lumia 1520 will replace Lumia 1020 as the next flagship of Nokia

Why do people even say stupid crud like this? Lets say the Ford Focus for example which costs about ?15,000 ok and theres a successor every year. What about graphics cards? New ones come out all the time. Bringing out a new one doesn't mean you must buy the next one and the 'old' one become obsolete. You're the mug who actually HAS to constantly have the flasgship phone and therefore gets annoyed as soon as a better one comes out.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
When some android phone is launched everyone complains how Microsoft (they don't make phones yet but hey that is who they blame) should release more phones more frequently since this is a crazy fast world we now live in and how wp must fight and win the specs war needing more frequent phone launches with better and better specs. Now nokia is launching too fast and people are complaining :). I guess there truly is no way to please people

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
What spec war? A windows phone doesn't need a quad core processor, or 4 gigs of RAM. Only phones with inferior operating systems need that kind of things. Like Android devices

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Seems like Nokia is pretty aggressive right now. Launching phones to get after different market segments.

Personally, the 1020 is a different animal compared to 1520.

Go Nokia!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss